R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-25-2004, 09:13 PM   #16
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Q
how do you run the car (wot) on the track ? I can see doing it on a bench or starter box...
You do it on the main straight with the HS needle set very rich, to the point where the engine sounds like it is going to die, but not letting it go on to 4 stroking, and since you are operating on the main needle, the low needle is away from the spray bar so more fuel and air goes in, and actually lubricates the engine more, so there is no problem with damaging. Remember very very rich 2 stroking, not lean WOT, Leave that to when you've finished Break-In and are tuning for performance.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:15 PM   #17
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by GUNPOWDER
I would've thought that this would damage the engine as it (constantly) gets to really high rpms.. (even when the engine is fully run-in..)
No it doesn't, read previous post. Setting HSN very rich, doesn't let the engine go on high revs.
AFM
Old 05-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #18
Q
Tech Apprentice

i'm not concerned about damage it just seems you would want it running at a consistant rpm not up and down..
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:37 PM   #19
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Q
i'm not concerned about damage it just seems you would want it running at a consistant rpm not up and down..
Yes I know it is not the ideal. What I do is run it on the large parking lot besides my track running the car on a big wide circle at WOT, changing rotation every now and then (so as not to get dizzy and bored jajajaja).

AFM
Old 05-25-2004, 10:03 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Ahhhh, this is hurting my head....

OK, so I did the heat cycle thing the first 2 tanks, keeping the engine running for about 3 minutes at around 220-235 F. I plan on hitting the street tomorrow to do some running. Now, should I hit it WOT, very rich, or baby it the first few tanks, gradually leaning and increasing throttle?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:06 PM   #21
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by spenzalii

OK, so I did the heat cycle thing the first 2 tanks, keeping the engine running for about 3 minutes at around 220-235 F. I plan on hitting the street tomorrow to do some running. Now, should I hit it WOT, very rich, or baby it the first few tanks, gradually leaning and increasing throttle?
i give all my engines one tanks at half throttle then one more at full throttel , then is time for the track to tune!!! Never had any problems with this method , i have used 2 gallons of Maxy's 30% fuel and the engine still has alot of compression and power!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:17 PM   #22
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by spenzalii

Don't be afraid, warm it well before running, and then WOT for 3 tanks rich 2 stroking, and then for the last tank start leaning and tuning for performance. BTW what engine are you Breakin- in???
AFM
Old 05-25-2004, 11:51 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
No it doesn't, read previous post. Setting HSN very rich, doesn't let the engine go on high revs.
AFM
No, my comment was in relation to running WOT on the bench.
GUNPOWDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:41 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by edseb
Heh, and if all else fails and it works great and your buddy proves all the motor manufacturers wrong, then so be it. He'll change the whole motor industry and be the last one laughing. Just hope you're right, the RB motors aren't cheap. Just my two cents.
Looks like my JP has tons of compression after the WOT break-in. We ran one tank at idle and 2-4 tanks at WOT with 2-5 minute breaks in between tanks. Monitored temperature and ran 5-10 tanks with a rich settings on the track. By the time I got to the 11th tank, it was time to lean out the mixture. At first, I was skeptical, but after he explained everything, I totally understood what was going on. I asked afew people I know and they said they do it all the time without any worries about the thier race motors. As for RB motors not being cheap, their priced fair. So are the JP FX motors . Thankyou everybody for you input and hopefully I see some of you at the 1/8th scale on-road nationals in July. Goodluck.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:39 AM   #25
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
No, my comment was in relation to running WOT on the bench.
Well the answer is still NO. The propeller that comes with the Break-In Bench puts a load on the engine that prevents it from going on to the high revs that the engine could reach, plus the rich mixture setting adds to not allowing high revin. Properly set the engine reaches the right revs for WOT Break-in.
You have to set the HSN for the engine to be rich in 2 stroke and at the right temperature of around 90C.

AFM
Old 05-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
Don't be afraid, warm it well before running, and then WOT for 3 tanks rich 2 stroking, and then for the last tank start leaning and tuning for performance. BTW what engine are you Breakin- in???
AFM
Modified NovaMega SX12. Byron's 30%

Took it out for about 3 tanks today. First tank at about 3/4 throttle, easy on throttle (had rubber tires in my lot) then full throttle on the street on foams. I can tell already she's gonna be nasty. The temps are still under 235, so I guess I should start adjusting for performance in a tank or so. I'm trying to get it as close as I can before race day, since they set the track up in a lot that day and the small permanent track we have I can't get to at the moment
Old 05-26-2004, 08:09 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
Well the answer is still NO. The propeller that comes with the Break-In Bench puts a load on the engine that prevents it from going on to the high revs that the engine could reach, plus the rich mixture setting adds to not allowing high revin. Properly set the engine reaches the right revs for WOT Break-in.
You have to set the HSN for the engine to be rich in 2 stroke and at the right temperature of around 90C.

AFM
ANd well my answer too is still NO. I am talking about putting the car on the bench and going WOT!!! (read my response to the original message.. it was in response to putting the car on the starter box and going WOT)
Old 05-26-2004, 09:48 PM   #28
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
ANd well my answer too is still NO. I am talking about putting the car on the bench and going WOT!!! (read my response to the original message.. it was in response to putting the car on the starter box and going WOT)
You Break-In the engine at WOT on the specially designed Break-in Bench, that comes with a tuned propeller for that purpose, the necessary takns, with the procedures set by every manufacturer that suggests that method.
You finish your Break-In process at the track with recomended procedures.
You don't WOT your car on the starter box, because it doesn't give proper load on the engine.
What some drivers that don't have a Bench do, is run-in the engine on the car with flywheel, clutch, and gears, over the starter box at a throttle position and rich mixture enough to get the engine to at least 90C, and do the first tanks like that, and then finish the process at the track.
AFM
Old 05-27-2004, 06:32 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by afm

You don't WOT your car on the starter box, because it doesn't give proper load on the engine.

AFM
That's exactly what I've been saying... Yes.. Read the posts..:
Old 05-27-2004, 08:17 AM   #30
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
That's exactly what I've been saying... Yes.. Read the posts..:
Well....... I'm glad we finally understood each other.......Question is what is the proper method for guys who don't have a Run-In bench???

AFM