Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RD/Richey Racing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

was gone 2 weeks. no new information to present. no new questions. working in the shop to improve the engine.
also been working on the last of the car issues with TM. On the positive side I have eclipsed the .90 HP mark with an R3 on our dyno but it requires extensive rework. Stock they are .74 hope to get this into production in a couple months. Also working on some quality issues. (this has been real tough)

Row
once the engine is warmed up and Idling turn the low speed needle in until the engine rpm rises. once it begins to rise back the needle out until the speed falls back (about a quarter turn) this will get you close once the high speed is adjusted and the engine is around 240 on 2 consistant tanks. readjust the low speed again.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Note if you think you have a high needle issue request a new one from RD. This is if you cant get the high speed to lean out enough to get 240 to 260 degrees. we have found some taper variation in the needle assemblies.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

thank you for the quick response. i know this is a good engine, i just don't know how to tune it and get the most out of it.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:03 AM

So I guess nothing special with the engine at the Nats?? Just wondering how it performed. Bob
Old 03-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Hi Dennis,

Just to throw something out there for you to clarify. It is understrood that STS is the contracted mfg for the R3. It is also known that STS mfg engines to sell under its own name and also to another popular 3-lettered brand.

With this information, someone may say that the R3, the STS D3R, and the other 3 lettered motor are all the same. Now of course that is not true but my question to you is, how is the R3 different from the other engines from STS? Without going into the exact details of your design, what are some of the special features you designed in the R3 that we can expect as opposed to the other STS engines?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

The carburetor internally is a little different in the midrange area
The crankshaft is black coated and the timing was increased. I believe the d3 has gone to this timing. we asked for a different specification on the sleeve taper and piston fit. I believe the d3 has gone to this now also. The rod was changed. The cooling finset is obviously different. and that was the major changes for initial production. I am going to submit a new package to them soon which is radically different. right now if you take a d3 apart and lay it alongside a d3 they look the same to the naked eye. they are not that far apart. I have some durability improvments that we are working on also. The power out of the gate is ok a little better than an os tr but we want x12 level power and reliability. The package is done to get that level we just need to pull it together in the next production run which is a couple months off. It takes time to batch new parts and build them. i would expect the d3 to follow suit.

we needed to insure the reliability was there before we turn up the heat on the power and we have had some teething pains but if you know me I don't give up easily. If we can't get there we will look at other options.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Nitro Tech

Dennis, I need more informations.....
Old 03-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

dino we can talk on msn tonight
Old 03-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Default dennis

hey dennis what gearing did use at the winternats.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

replied in goose thread
Old 03-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Dennis?

Did you send me some momo?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dennis, shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance....

[email protected]
Old 04-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally posted by Motorman
The carburetor internally is a little different in the midrange area
The crankshaft is black coated and the timing was increased. I believe the d3 has gone to this timing. we asked for a different specification on the sleeve taper and piston fit. I believe the d3 has gone to this now also. The rod was changed. The cooling finset is obviously different. and that was the major changes for initial production. I am going to submit a new package to them soon which is radically different. right now if you take a d3 apart and lay it alongside a d3 they look the same to the naked eye. they are not that far apart. I have some durability improvments that we are working on also. The power out of the gate is ok a little better than an os tr but we want x12 level power and reliability. The package is done to get that level we just need to pull it together in the next production run which is a couple months off. It takes time to batch new parts and build them. i would expect the d3 to follow suit.

we needed to insure the reliability was there before we turn up the heat on the power and we have had some teething pains but if you know me I don't give up easily. If we can't get there we will look at other options.
Hey Dennis just finished breaking in the RRE3 & this little bad boy has some serious snap to it keep up the good work
Old 04-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys,
I purchased one of these engines from my LHS yesterday...

I will be running 15% nitro, do I need to remove any head shims? I remember seeing somewhere that I need to remove all the headshims except the copper one.

Can anyone confirm this?

tnx
Old 04-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

run it as is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.