R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBaja View Post
I have both the LRP.28 AND .32 for my gt2 kyosho. Which one do you recommened I send in to mod. I am looking for just balls out power and RPM. This is just my basher.
The LRP .28
Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Still doing Mods for GT on-road nitro cars?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Yes sir.... Still modifying engines! Just don't frequent the forums much these days. No time...
Old 11-15-2015, 12:37 AM   #49
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

It's been a while since I posted here, but I just realized that my Ntc3 was way overgeared for my track...Even then the Abmods jlr tuned still pulled decently with 21/27 and 54/48, but I will be running 19/25 and 54/48 next season... I just found out about the dynotech racing 19t pinions(#8050) that fit the Ntc3 clutchbell... I also will need to have some new aluminum clutchbells made along with some spools and diff outdrives, in order to maximize acceleration..... The Ntc3 is not done yet !!!!!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #50
Suspended

Talking

Ok guys, I finally had all the aluminum parts made and shaved another 39grams off the ntc3 drivetrain alone: 10grams off the clutchbell; 17grams off the rear diff outdrives; 12grams off the front spool..... That should give my Abmods Jlr a well deserved load reduction, resulting in video game type acceleration....... I hope my brakes will be up to the challenge...lol...
Old 06-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #51
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Ok guys, I finally had all the aluminum parts made and shaved another 39grams off the ntc3 drivetrain alone: 10grams off the clutchbell; 17grams off the rear diff outdrives; 12grams off the front spool..... That should give my Abmods Jlr a well deserved load reduction, resulting in video game type acceleration....... I hope my brakes will be up to the challenge...lol...
Sounds good!

I never had a chance to try different pipes for the NTC3s... What pipe are you currently running on this engine? The Picco pipe i tested it with on just a race mod for heat racing made in the 1.2 hp on my x-dyno with a VERY broad HP curve! But of course that pipe is discontinued and it wouldn't fit on the NTC3... And 1.2 HP on my X-dyno is A LOT of pwr for a .12!! My X-Dyno reads MUCH MUCH lower then the dynos i see going around these days... Some of them is reads as much as half of their readings.....

Those JLRs with some work are deadly! Had a customer of mine set some ISC speed records with it years back.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt4g63 View Post
Sounds good!

I never had a chance to try different pipes for the NTC3s... What pipe are you currently running on this engine? The Picco pipe i tested it with on just a race mod for heat racing made in the 1.2 hp on my x-dyno with a VERY broad HP curve! But of course that pipe is discontinued and it wouldn't fit on the NTC3... And 1.2 HP on my X-dyno is A LOT of pwr for a .12!! My X-Dyno reads MUCH MUCH lower then the dynos i see going around these days... Some of them is reads as much as half of their readings.....

Those JLRs with some work are deadly! Had a customer of mine set some ISC speed records with it years back.
I think the numbers from dyno to dyno dont matter, or even the HP figures. But the dyno allows you to compare motor to motor, and also pipe conbos, and mods(on the same dyno), thats what they're good for.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #53
Suspended

I am using the Ntc3 factory team dual chamber pipe(with 10mm or so cut off the manifold) with my Jlr, and it had alot of power when my car switched to second gear. I knew that I was not in the powerband at all in first gear with the 21t/27t pinion combo, so I switched to 19t/25t pinions that matches my competitor's gearing... Dynotech Racing built me some more lightweight aluminum parts that got my Ntc3(1659grams) down very close to the minimum weight limit, from the hefty 1721grams it was before..... All in all I am happy with the progress, but I have not tested my new and improved ntc3 yet...
Old 06-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #54
Suspended

DYNO or not, I am very impressed with the power of my Abmods Jlr .12 motor, even when running a bit rich in a heavy car with the wrong gearing and not properly setup... The gas mileage was even more impressive: my pitman kept asking me why I was piting with half a tank left at the four minute mark.... I saw others pit, so I came in to pit too....lol... I could have taken a chance and run the full seven minutes without piting at all, but I thought it was mandatory to pit at least once... Others could not even make it to the five minute mark without running out of fuel... Maybe the smooth shaftdrive had something to do with that or maybe it was both the Ntc3 and the economic engine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
I think the numbers from dyno to dyno dont matter, or even the HP figures. But the dyno allows you to compare motor to motor, and also pipe conbos, and mods(on the same dyno), thats what they're good for.

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 06-11-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #55
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
DYNO or not, I am very impressed with the power of my Abmods Jlr .12 motor, even when running a bit rich in a heavy car with the wrong gearing and not properly setup... The gas mileage was even more impressive: my pitman kept asking me why I was piting with half a tank left at the four minute mark.... I saw others pit, so I came in to pit too....lol... I could have taken a chance and run the full seven minutes without piting at all, but I thought it was mandatory to pit at least once... Others could not even make it to the five minute mark without running out of fuel... Maybe the smooth shaftdrive had something to do with that or maybe it was both the Ntc3 and the economic engine...
I think you have a very good combination is what i think. Fast motor fast car
Old 06-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #56
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
I have been working with dynos for over 20 years now for tuning on full scale cars/engines... And nearly if not 10 years with my X-dyno on these small scale nitro engines. And I agree the dyno is a tool for R&D on these engines and a tuning for full scale engines PERIOD....That's why i haven't worried about changing how my dyno reads. I like that it reads low and ill explain why.

A dyno that reads lower takes more hp/tq percentage increase to raise the output number the dyno spits out. So therefore you have to make a larger % increase on a dyno that reads lower to see larger numbers. I hope that makes sense... im on little sleep today so bare with me folks.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #57
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt4g63 View Post
I have been working with dynos for over 20 years now for tuning on full scale cars/engines... And nearly if not 10 years with my X-dyno on these small scale nitro engines. And I agree the dyno is a tool for R&D on these engines and a tuning for full scale engines PERIOD....That's why i haven't worried about changing how my dyno reads. I like that it reads low and ill explain why.

A dyno that reads lower takes more hp/tq percentage increase to raise the output number the dyno spits out. So therefore you have to make a larger % increase on a dyno that reads lower to see larger numbers. I hope that makes sense... im on little sleep today so bare with me folks.
I love your thread.

To me a dyno is a very important tool to record on what an engine is doing ,
so you can further improve its performance where areas need be!
Keep up the good work!...
cbaker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #58
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
I love your thread.

To me a dyno is a very important tool to record on what an engine is doing ,
so you can further improve its performance where areas need be!
Keep up the good work!...
I agree with you 100%

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a 2.5R traxxas engine that I'd like modded. It's got few gallons through it, is it a candidate?
mustangkillaz is offline   Reply With Quote