R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Mega MF12 3P MasMo #221001

Is it worth buying this engine for $260 new with header and pipe? It was produced in 2005 (discontinued now) Should I buy a recent engine instead? Here's some info from serpent.com

Original price was $600 sold for $375 at ashfordhobby.com

Hand tuned by Massimo Fantini, the new MF.12 by Mega is designed for high end competition. Made by Novarossi and assembled by Max engines in Italy the MF.12 features, machined piston, lightweight crankshaft and other performance enhancing modifications.

This crankcase is anodised black and was forged from high grade aluminium and is therefore very strong and highly durable. The design incorporates many cooling fins to keep the temperature under control whilst the internal porting ensures optimised gas flow. The outside features the 'M' logo and MF.12 symbol on the side of the casing.

This beautiful Orange anodised cooling head features 11 cooling fins for regulating the temperature of your engine. The head has been machined around the edges to allow access to the engine mount screws as well as to make it look nicer. On top of the cooling head is the Mega Symbol, MF.12 logo and the engine categorisation symbols, all laser etched.

Made from the finest quality alloy this combustion chamber is precision made to ensure a perfect seal even under extreme temperatures. This engine comes with a high quality 6TF glow plug.

Made from high strength steel the crankshaft is finished to the highest standard. It has a large bore intake which is optimised to best accomodate the fuel flow as well as a large turbo scoop on the bellcrank that forces the fuel into the combustion chamber. To lighten the crankshaft the main shaft has been bored out and then filled with silicone. Other finishing work has been done on the crankshaft.

The MF.12 comes standard with a 3-needle, fully adjustable aluminium carburetor with interchangeable plastic venturi's. The special aluminium used for this carburettor improves cooling and the consistency of your needle settings.

This super lightweight piston has been machined from high grade aluminium and features 2 rings around its circumference for aiding lubricaton. The piston has been made using true ABC (aluminium piston, brass sleeve with chrome plating) construction for ultra long usage with little or no visible wear.

Utilising bronze bushings top and bottom the conrod is aerodynamic and lightweight therefore reducing resistance and allowing the piston to move faster.

This 3 port high-density hard-chromed sleeve, offers incredible durability along with high performance. The ports have been modified beyond the already highly effective standard porting by Massimo Fantini to maximize performance.

The crankcase backplate is cast and features a 0-ring groove and 2 aerodynamic lugs for improved mixture flows and lubrication.

Thanks for the help!!!
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

You should get it.Very quick engine.Quicker than most of the new stuff out there.Iv had no trouble with mine and they are easy to tune.
Eoin 27691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin 27691 View Post
You should get it.Very quick engine.Quicker than most of the new stuff out there.Iv had no trouble with mine and they are easy to tune.
Thanks! to what other .12 engine would you compare it to?
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo RR View Post
Thanks! to what other .12 engine would you compare it to?
My opinion would be go with a newer one. Parts will be much easier to find.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i still have one of these engines, it takes a 7601 rod, and bearings are easy to get. it is novarossi based, it does have the smaller crank, which is better for fuel consumption, but it is a bit slower than a 353 tuned. but for the money , for sure get it.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Thank you all for the comments... I was having second toughts about this engine because I figured it would be hard to find replacement parts... It's good to know I can still find them! I will buy this engine. I can't really beat the price $260!!! with pipe and header??? That's great deal!!!