Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 01:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Fuel discussion

We can use this thread to discuss fuel related issues.

To start off here is an article for good measure.

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/nitro_fuel.asp
Old 12-15-2003, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Post Regarding oil perc.

I answered to this question previously, but in spite of putting all this info in the same place will repeat it.

I custom blend my own fuel and after some experimenting found some 'recipes' that work very well for me, probably are fine for other people but not necessary to take as GodSpell.

On mine .12 and .21's use mine own blended fuel by many advantages, the most interesting was the possibility of varying the oil percentage and adapt to different conditions.

Did many tests and those 'recipes' are mine own preferred. Quantities are for a full 1litre of fuel

Summer, temps over 25 - 30ºC.
16% (160cc) Nitro.
6% (60cc) Castor oil.
2% (20cc) Synthetic oil.
76% (760cc) Methanol.

This blend only goes with an 8% of oil (Nova and other mfgs. recomend about a 10% of oil), only for serious racing and 'pushing the envelope a little' (remember: Less oil on your fuel, more percentage of Methanol and Nitro, so more power). Use this fuel only on serious racing, more wear to the engine, but more power. Carb adjustment is vital for the correct opeation and health of your engine - USE WITH CARE!

The same goes for the 25%. For a 30% Nitro, just go 1 point higher on the Synthetic oil (3% total). With the higher content of castor, you're getting a better protection at higher rpms and higher temperature (Castor oil burns at 100ºC higher than Synthetic) but as a tradeoff, more deposits are created on the engine (this isn't bad at all, IMHO).

Practice and 'everyday' recipe. (>25ºC)

16% (160cc) Nitro.
6% (60cc) Castor Oil.
4% (40cc) Synthetic oil.
74% (740cc) Methanol.

The same but for temps from 5 to 25ºC, just change to those values of oil.

7% (70cc) Synthetic oil.
3% (30cc) Castor Oil.

This is a more tolerant recipe, but some brands of fuel use more oil than this (11 to 18% of oil) as much oil you put on your fuel, less power has, but better protection (up to a pont, of course) to your engine, going from 8 to 13% of oil is very common to see.

Of course, other people test can show other results, but those are mine best results with Klotz Benol & Original Techniplate oils. Other mfgs can vary the results.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got this article from "powermaster", it is more related t air models, but still very interesting and anyway baseline is the same. I personaly love the way how it is written there and agree with that 100%.
http://www.powermasterfuels.com/facts3.htm
Old 12-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Nitro Tech

Yes,I'm doing cut and paste job....

Originally posted by kitracer
Questions on fuel.

How much % oil ( Castor / synthetic) content do we really need in our Fuel? I have heard from as low as 3% ( wow!) to as high as 18%.

Which is better, more castor or more synthetic?

I just used a very bad batch of fuel
very bad......
Originally posted by Manticore
corse-r might want to share his valuable insight on fuel.
Originally posted by Corse-R
I've just answered to this question on the fuel thread, you're welcome to ask anything you may need on those thread.

But will tell you that Castor oils are more suited to withstand with high rpms, a synthetic oil burns at a lower temperature and leaves none, castor leaves some residues that still lubricate and saves you from a very big ouch at the end of the backstraight.
Originally posted by InitialD
Hey kitracer, you and I had a short discussion on fuels... Which fuel is this are you referring to?

Synthetic oil provides less friction than castor oil due to it's properties. So for serious racing, more synthetic oil is better. For bashing, more castor is better as castor protects engine better.

I believe in the recent 1/8th WC in Ohio, Team Kyosho used 4% of oil in their fuel. This is actually another way of getting a higher percentage of nitro methanol in. Of course this is strickly serious racing and when the sky is the limit when it comes to piston sleeve replacements !
Originally posted by Corse-R
Sorry to pinch your bubble, but Castor oil protects a long way more than Synthetic, because after burning, keeps some residuel that still provides anti seizing protection (Synthetic, just not). Just ask to MS who is now by those forums how much Castor he used on the last Euros in Madrid with more than 35ºC air temp and engines going to sky-high when to temp is related (just a hint: he used more Castor than synthetic, like did Andrea Rossi with their Sirio engines and others...

Castor is the ULTIMATE when to high rpms protection is related, just ask it to Kart racers and MX racers.... and their engines spin at roughly half the rpms than our engines (Some kart engines can spin up to 19000 rpms).

The main tradeoff for Castor and is why is less used is because he leaves residues on the engine, but afterall those residues are fine and shows you how fine is burning your combustion chamber.
FIN
Old 12-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not a bad cut and paste Dino but still not as good as the leader.

THE ABOVE POST BY DINO WAS FROM THE "Welcome to the Exclusive Nitro Engine Zone" THREAD !

Just putting the above note so you're not accused of copyright.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by EVOLUTION

THE ABOVE POST BY DINO WAS FROM THE "Welcome to the Exclusive Nitro Engine Zone" THREAD !

Just putting the above note so you're not accused of copyright.
Naaah! will not accuss Dino of removing copyright notice... Not a jarhead of those.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Nitro Tech

Have fun!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by EVOLUTION

Not a bad cut and paste Dino but still not as good as the leader.
you guys stop it, next time try to memorizes the whole mytsn web site and you will see it is not easy to do.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by dino.tw
Yes,I'm doing cut and paste job....

FIN
help yourself and dont copy the one with incorrect information.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey, thanks guys.

having some kind of residue ( burning of Castor oil) is good for the engine.

Manti - I better dump all those Cosmo fuel
Old 12-15-2003, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by kitracer
Hey, thanks guys.

having some kind of residue ( burning of Castor oil) is good for the engine.

Manti - I better dump all those Cosmo fuel
you've got it right buddy ! one of my friend has the same problem you had and he also used cosmo
Old 12-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

you've got it right buddy ! one of my friend has the same problem you had and he also used cosmo
Is it bad ?
coz my friend fr japan is planning to send me some sample..
Old 12-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by GoldFinger
Is it bad ?
coz my friend fr japan is planning to send me some sample..
i tried 2 litre, not impressed. it has more power, actually similar to o'donnell but tuning spot is narrow. i prefer o'donnell or trinity fuel.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

i tried 2 litre, not impressed. it has more power, actually similar to o'donnell but tuning spot is narrow. I prefer o'donnell or trinity fuel.
Thanks for the info...
Personally I prefer Byron.
As for Cosmo, if like kitracer said that it makes excessive carbon build up, my opinion is due to "oil inside" quality.
Maybe I should forget to try it.
Coz it was my main concern when I chose to use byron, best "oil inside" quality. Just my 2cents.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by GoldFinger
Thanks for the info...
Personally I prefer Byron.
As for Cosmo, if like kitracer said that it makes excessive carbon build up, my opinion is due to "oil inside" quality.
Maybe I should forget to try it.
Coz it was my main concern when I chose to use byron, best "oil inside" quality. Just my 2cents.
i want to use byron fuel too but too bad we dont have any one here carries byron ! so my money goes to o'donnell and/or trinity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.