R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Tech Master
 
freestyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default SEALING AN EXHAUST PIPE

My pipe doesn't seem to fit very tight in where it connects to the header so i was wondering if i could put some of that hi temp sillicone gasket maker around the original gasket so when i put it on it will hopefully make a better seal than what is there at the moment. It's the skyline v12+ if it matters. Would that be ok? When i want to take it off though i will have to replace the gaskets i suppose

I don't want to ruin it i only just bought it 2nd hand

cheers
__________________
This public service announcement was brought to you by the letter "B" and the number "9". Thanks for watching.
freestyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
NiTrO BoOsTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toowoomba
Posts: 947
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

dude just buy a new gasket for it.
__________________
Serpent 733 - RB T10rc - Ko Helios EX-10
Serpent 733 - Novarossi 3SCT Tuned
============== SERPENT the only way ============
==== Pro Buggy Rc, Pitsworth - for all my RC needs =====
NiTrO BoOsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
freestyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTrO BoOsTeR View Post
dude just buy a new gasket for it.
The gasket is brand new. I put a new one on when i installed it and it's still pretty loose. I'm just worried it will pop out with one hit.

I knew you could seal a motor but i didn't know about the exhaust pipe itself
__________________
This public service announcement was brought to you by the letter "B" and the number "9". Thanks for watching.
freestyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post
The gasket is brand new. I put a new one on when i installed it and it's still pretty loose. I'm just worried it will pop out with one hit.

I knew you could seal a motor but i didn't know about the exhaust pipe itself
Are you using the correct size gasket?
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 684
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

don't forget new springs

Last edited by Baedarlboo; 11-23-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
NiTrO BoOsTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toowoomba
Posts: 947
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

with this pipe u need to buy the skyline gasket, if this is what u have then chuck the springs on and it wont come apart. if it leaks where the join is buy a bigger/thicker gasket or buy a new header

Mitchell
__________________
Serpent 733 - RB T10rc - Ko Helios EX-10
Serpent 733 - Novarossi 3SCT Tuned
============== SERPENT the only way ============
==== Pro Buggy Rc, Pitsworth - for all my RC needs =====
NiTrO BoOsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
freestyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Yeah i think so they were the ones that came with it but i will check it all out again and get back to you's.

The little springs are the smaller ones for 1/10 pipes so if it wasn't for them it would probably be worse off as far as air leaks are concerned

Thanks guys
__________________
This public service announcement was brought to you by the letter "B" and the number "9". Thanks for watching.
freestyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
freestyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTrO BoOsTeR View Post
with this pipe u need to buy the skyline gasket, if this is what u have then chuck the springs on and it wont come apart. if it leaks where the join is buy a bigger/thicker gasket or buy a new header

Mitchell
Do you know the part number or a place where i can get the gaskets? i live in western sydney

I'm not sure if the ones i got with it are the correct ones
__________________
This public service announcement was brought to you by the letter "B" and the number "9". Thanks for watching.
freestyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 775
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post
My pipe doesn't seem to fit very tight in where it connects to the header so i was wondering if i could put some of that hi temp sillicone gasket maker around the original gasket so when i put it on it will hopefully make a better seal than what is there at the moment. It's the skyline v12+ if it matters. Would that be ok? When i want to take it off though i will have to replace the gaskets i suppose

I don't want to ruin it i only just bought it 2nd hand

cheers
Get yourself some ptfe gas tape from the hardware. remove the gasket, wrap some tape around the pipe where the gasket goes on to. put gasket on and pipe use enough tape untill a snug fit. Walla problem solved.


Enjoy

Alex Kickass Koussas
KicKass Racing
__________________
"KicKass "OS" Racing Engines" "capricornrc.com.au"
"RC Arena" Home of "Maxima Fuel"
kickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:04 AM   #10
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickass View Post
Get yourself some ptfe gas tape from the hardware. remove the gasket, wrap some tape around the pipe where the gasket goes on to. put gasket on and pipe use enough tape untill a snug fit. Walla problem solved.


Enjoy

Alex Kickass Koussas
KicKass Racing
I was Going to say the exact same thing Alex. Great minds think alike.

It's called plumber's tape. it's the stuff that plumbers wrap around joints for piping such as taps etc
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
NiTrO BoOsTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toowoomba
Posts: 947
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post
Do you know the part number or a place where i can get the gaskets? i live in western sydney

I'm not sure if the ones i got with it are the correct ones
um the correct ones should be a red/pink colour. i dunno the part number but i bought my pipe from ebay. i took mine apart yesterday to have a look, mine fits together well but it isnt extreamly tight like it will just slip on and then i put the retainer springs back on

Mitchell
__________________
Serpent 733 - RB T10rc - Ko Helios EX-10
Serpent 733 - Novarossi 3SCT Tuned
============== SERPENT the only way ============
==== Pro Buggy Rc, Pitsworth - for all my RC needs =====
NiTrO BoOsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
Seisick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post
My pipe doesn't seem to fit very tight in where it connects to the header so i was wondering if i could put some of that hi temp sillicone gasket maker around the original gasket so when i put it on it will hopefully make a better seal than what is there at the moment. It's the skyline v12+ if it matters. Would that be ok? When i want to take it off though i will have to replace the gaskets i suppose

I don't want to ruin it i only just bought it 2nd hand

cheers
use 15 gasket, i tried venom and os rx15 and worked ok
__________________
HobbymaniA
GoT MuGeN?
Seisick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off Road Thread (ALL SCALES UNITE) suntok2 Manila Racers 18645 01-07-2016 02:13 AM
Middle East RC (Qatar RC Club/Abu Dhabi RC) CRahoD Manila Racers 1788 02-09-2014 01:26 PM
Serpent 710 Ron C. Nitro On-Road 23347 03-16-2010 02:47 PM
Engine Tuning 101 (General Tuning) Kemorc Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 41 11-19-2007 07:04 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:00 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net