R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #61
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 169
Default

well i did modified that novarossi 3sct, i changed the timing on the crack to 65 ATDC and made those "fancy fangs" on the sleeve, and also poslish the fang on the cranck. this engine on track was a bullet, smooth, tons of low end, great middle and also impresive high, very consistent, great power, literally was a bullet. and the best things of all, great millage. 6 min no problem.

i'm pretty greatful with this tread with the help of Stefan and Roelof, both were great help. thanks
mc_chofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #62
Tech Master
 
fly_wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: sabah lor
Posts: 1,039
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_chofo View Post
well i did modified that novarossi 3sct, i changed the timing on the crack to 65 ATDC and made those "fancy fangs" on the sleeve, and also poslish the fang on the cranck. this engine on track was a bullet, smooth, tons of low end, great middle and also impresive high, very consistent, great power, literally was a bullet. and the best things of all, great millage. 6 min no problem.

i'm pretty greatful with this tread with the help of Stefan and Roelof, both were great help. thanks
care to post us some pics of ur engine (crank, sleeve, etc) before n after mod??? thanks...
__________________
There are more in racing than winning.
fly_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #63
Tech Adept
 
Rattlesnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 128
Default

Awesome thread! Thanks for all the info and pics.
Rattlesnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #64
Tech Rookie
 
-Crash-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 15
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
Here are some real number for ya

inlet opens 145 degrees btdc
inlet closes 65 degrees atdc
exhaust opens 92 degrees atdc
transfers opens 118 degrees atdc

This makes a real good off road motor
if you want on road you can do

inlet same as above
exhaust opens 90 degrees atdc
transfers open 117 degrees atdc
I am starting another mod job and would like to get the real numbers of it.

I have the degree wheel, how do I use it to measure the nitro engine?
__________________
Hello, my name is Dan. I am addicted to rc
-Crash- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #65
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Crash- View Post
I am starting another mod job and would like to get the real numbers of it.

I have the degree wheel, how do I use it to measure the nitro engine?
That is disaster!!!
DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!! Then everything will be really good
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #66
Tech Rookie
 
-Crash-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 15
Default ok................lol

I found a detailed article on how to read the timing numbers with the degree
wheel.

here they are inlet opens at 140 btdc
inlet closes at 63 atdc
exhaust opens at 84 atdc
transfer open at 110 atdc

any suggestions would be aprreciated
__________________
Hello, my name is Dan. I am addicted to rc
-Crash- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #67
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

What motor is it?

Could you post a pic of your degree wheel? I made one once from a 360 degree protractor and an old serpent flywheel but didn't like it so I need to make another.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #68
Tech Rookie
 
-Crash-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 15
Default



this is a HPI F 4.6 I am working on
__________________
Hello, my name is Dan. I am addicted to rc
-Crash- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:27 AM   #69
Tech Fanatic
 
LogiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Posts: 757
Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default

Can you post the article you found on how to time please?
LogiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:46 AM   #70
Tech Rookie
 
-Crash-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 15
Default

sorry, I miss spoke

the article is how to read the degree wheel. as far a adjusting time of the engine, it seems that is a gaurded secret in the modding comunity.

the little info I got is now sworn to keep secret

I did figuire it out with some help from some guys here and four other forums in pm's

thanks guys
__________________
Hello, my name is Dan. I am addicted to rc
-Crash- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #71
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

use mini diamond jewelers files to alter timing, its not rocket science by any means....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #72
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

For grinding the actual port in the sleeve you can use a Dremel and small diameter carbide bits to rough it out and finish it with a diamond bit. Make sure you chamfer the port slightly to get rid of any burrs with the diamond bit. For the crankshaft you can use the same method and then polish it up with Cratex
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #73
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

When you use a degree wheel make absolutely sure you have an accurate TDC. You can't just push the piston to the top and say that's TDC. You need to bolt something to the top of the engine that will hold the sleeve in place and stop the piston approximately 20 degrees before TDC. You need to get the same degree reading when turning the crank in both direction to the stop. Then 0 degrees will truely be TDC.
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 AM   #74
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
For grinding the actual port in the sleeve you can use a Dremel and small diameter carbide bits to rough it out and finish it with a diamond bit. Make sure you chamfer the port slightly to get rid of any burrs with the diamond bit. For the crankshaft you can use the same method and then polish it up with Cratex

IDK carbide does not cut chrome plating overly well.....most timing changes require not much more then just removing the chrome plating, IMO using a carbide would be next to impossible to get a clean cut when removing as little material as needs to be removed.........A fine diamond bit works well but I Most definitely would never ever recommend using a Dremel for cutting ports..........Dremels are also not a very good choice for cutting ports. because their motors are so amll Dremels need to use excessive RPM to make any power. too much RPM causes vibration and bit runout which makes cutting cleanly very tricky......... I use a Jewelers grade flexible shaft tool which works extremely well....however I still dont think using a carbide works well at all, even in a flexible shaft...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #75
Tech Elite
 
Riketsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,514
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
IDK carbide does not cut chrome plating overly well.....most timing changes require not much more then just removing the chrome plating, IMO using a carbide would be next to impossible to get a clean cut when removing as little material as needs to be removed.........A fine diamond bit works well but I Most definitely would never ever recommend using a Dremel for cutting ports..........Dremels are also not a very good choice for cutting ports. because their motors are so amll Dremels need to use excessive RPM to make any power. too much RPM causes vibration and bit runout which makes cutting cleanly very tricky......... I use a Jewelers grade flexible shaft tool which works extremely well....however I still dont think using a carbide works well at all, even in a flexible shaft...
Can you show us a picture of what you use to modify engines???
__________________
eBay user id: riketsukirai
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitro Engine Sell Great Parts engines. CHEAP NitroLuver R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 08-19-2008 10:00 PM
Engine Timing Issue jameslow Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 4 05-08-2008 07:16 PM
engine timing and duration guage rcosmax Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 3 12-04-2004 10:46 PM
ftrc10gt and xxxnt both with engines for trade for nitro touring with engine tony montana R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 06-06-2004 11:09 PM
Changing Nitro % - How To Adjust Carb thefuzzclub Nitro On-Road 3 07-08-2003 06:08 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:12 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net