R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
Default Low humidity/High altitude/Hot Weather...... What to do?

Looking for some help here guys. Going to Vegas in September for the Nationals and the info i have is that beside the altitude (2000 plus feet), the air it's really really dry. From the experience you guys have in this situation, what sould be done to the engine to make it work properly? Normally with more altitute you should take a shim (0.10 mm)out to compensate. But in this case to me, the most important thing it's the humidity cause is really low.
Any help will be appreciated
miker2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Corse-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Posts: 2,121
Default

The answer is clear, just remove .010mm shim and pay a look on the carb adjustment. Maybe you need to lean just a tad the LSN and the HSN.

You don't say which engine is an their size, but if you're running a 30% on a Nova .21 I would go to around 0.50 - 0.52mm of combustion chamber height (measure it with the crushed solder wire method). The same applies for a Ninja .21 engine.

You can go lower, but... you need to have guts and be ready for facing runtime problems, bitch carburetor adjustments (more critical) and maybe a rough but powerful engine.
__________________
Cheers,
Corse-R
---
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse-R View Post
The answer is clear, just remove .010mm shim and pay a look on the carb adjustment. Maybe you need to lean just a tad the LSN and the HSN.

You don't say which engine is an their size, but if you're running a 30% on a Nova .21 I would go to around 0.50 - 0.52mm of combustion chamber height (measure it with the crushed solder wire method). The same applies for a Ninja .21 engine.

You can go lower, but... you need to have guts and be ready for facing runtime problems, bitch carburetor adjustments (more critical) and maybe a rough but powerful engine.
Corse, thanks for your reply. It is a .21 Max. Theoretically speaking i am on the same page as you, but i keep hearing comments about how hard is to tune the engines there and i am sure the dry air (we are talking 15% humidity or maybe less) it's the main issue cause i have run at an altitute more or less like this one and no big problems. The report i have is that generally speaking, the people that have run there face big issues in order to have a consistant performance. It looks like the engine it's really sensitive, inconsistent and running on average hotter than in other places.
miker2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Corse-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Posts: 2,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2209 View Post
Corse, thanks for your reply. It is a .21 Max. Theoretically speaking i am on the same page as you, but i keep hearing comments about how hard is to tune the engines there and i am sure the dry air (we are talking 15% humidity or maybe less) it's the main issue cause i have run at an altitute more or less like this one and no big problems. The report i have is that generally speaking, the people that have run there face big issues in order to have a consistant performance. It looks like the engine it's really sensitive, inconsistent and running on average hotter than in other places.
AFAIK... on the Toluca 1/8 worlds (the highest altitude where a 1/8 worlds has been done) almost all the official guys went with different combustion chambers. I don't have more information about this, but seemed that shape and size of the combustion chamber was severely reduced to overcome the very thin air there and trying to regain more power...

a 15% rel humidity is quite low... I never run an engine with such dry air (my lowest was 24% taken this value with an hygrometer). Maybe what you're experiencing is a very extreme example and the engines need further tunning just to have decent perf.
__________________
Cheers,
Corse-R
---
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse-R View Post
AFAIK... on the Toluca 1/8 worlds (the highest altitude where a 1/8 worlds has been done) almost all the official guys went with different combustion chambers. I don't have more information about this, but seemed that shape and size of the combustion chamber was severely reduced to overcome the very thin air there and trying to regain more power...

a 15% rel humidity is quite low... I never run an engine with such dry air (my lowest was 24% taken this value with an hygrometer). Maybe what you're experiencing is a very extreme example and the engines need further tunning just to have decent perf.

Thanks Corse. Anybody with experience in Vegas can post some info please?
miker2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2209 View Post
Thanks Corse. Anybody with experience in Vegas can post some info please?
The best place for help is the source/location... Give Rich Taylor a call at 4Aces/Team /Taylor Racing. Here's the web-link... http://www.4acesrcracing.net/Contact.aspx
I'm sure he can give you all the tuning tips you need to race in the Vegas Heat and altitude...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glow Plug Choice/Humidity % NEMESIS44 Nitro Off-Road 14 08-02-2008 10:11 PM
Engine Tuner's Calculator using Absolute Pressure and Relative Humidity Tire Chunker Nitro On-Road 1 05-10-2008 05:51 PM
High Altitude Tuning derrickh_00 Rookie Zone 5 03-25-2006 02:02 AM
All weather RC Uthaya Malaysian R/C Racers 16 04-20-2005 02:24 AM
high altitude help! nitroustaco Electric Off-Road 1 11-26-2004 10:58 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:53 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net