R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-14-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Ron Paris Stash

Thought you guys might like this.
This is colt4g63s stuff. Basically what happened was some guy got ahold of adam and said he has a ton of Ron Paris Racing stuff from when the shop closed down. He said he wants to get rid of alot of it as its taking up alot of space that he needs. He apparently knew Ron well. All of the stuff he has was stuff he got from Rons wife Linda Paris after the shop had shut down. So me and colt go over there and went through it all with this guy. Colt ended up buying what you see below. Nothing really interested me except the JP Racing Kangaroo, Nova Mega Evo 4 with a bunch of Evo 4 and 5 parts new in package. He also had a Picco 1/8th scale car i was semi interested in. I ended up not buying anything though as i didnt have enough cash for the car on me and he wouldnt let go of the JP or the novamega at all.

This is the .12 stuff he got. This is a Picco .12 RR. Its pretty much the same as a Picco .12 ROAR engine that is sold today.

This is the .12 with all the spare stuff. IIRC all the cranks have different timings, and you can see the one was in the middle of being modded. The Head Buttons are all different as well. One thing you can tell about rons stuff is he was always R&Ding with stuff, we ran into stuff that he never even got to test.

Closeup

Another Closeup

Paris Team signed block and a Eduardo Picco signed head

signed block closeup

the Fully complete and running good Paris and Eduardo Picco Modded Engine

Pic of the complete engines case.

Here is the .21 stuff he got. Most of this is Picco G1 Series and Picco KS Series
All cranks are the same with diff timings done and diff stages of modifications, the case is numbered.

Closeup of the running .21

Extra NEW P/S sets all numbered

Showing the matching numbers

The Dished piston is the On Road Version, the other is the Off road version.

Showing the Sleeve number Matching.

Here is a bonus.
This is an early Hott Mods crankshaft. Circa after Ron passed away.

Note the JB Weld Filled Crank.

My opinions after seeing all of it and seeing both the .12 run and the .21 run is that things have changed alot. everything has advanced to the extremes. the .12 albeit modded runs as good as a high end racing .12 unmodded today. The .21 rons alot stronger and does really well not the best though but then again this is stuff from 1998 and stuf was alot more mellow back then but these engines would compete and do well today. Colt can tell you more about it as he was the one who broke them in and ran them i only got to see them run like once or twice.

Ron knew his stuff and knew it very well, Ive looked up alot of the past and history of Ron Paris and he was good, you cant tell when certain modders back then sent motors back and fourth to each other, this isnt bad Ron only did it with Eduardo Picco, but then again Ron was the American Picco Importer/Distributor at the time and later after alot of crap went down he landed the Novarossi Importing and Distribution for the US. Novarossi Actually made the REX engine line for Ron paris to exclusively Distribute.

Bottom Line: Ron knew his stuff, but today those mods are very mild and outdated. Most Modifyers today are modding engines far beyond what Paris did and know more, bu then again things have changed since then and technology has advanced alot, especially in RC. This is really great stuff to have though.

German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
Tech Addict

here is the pics he showed us before we went over to his house. and this is about half of it.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
Tech Regular

pics are notworking
MRX4-R03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
Tech Addict

should be, my bandwidth is far from maxxed out.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite

i wish my arsenal looked like that
Old 04-14-2007, 03:02 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Tell your friend to kick those Picco .12 conrods as far as he can, the are the old notorious trouble makers.

The new T3 rods (Mega or JLR) also work in those engines and the hold up.

Oh, and if that's really JB-Weld in the crank, take it out, or it will come out at a bad time. Epoxy and alcohol don't go along well

Yeap, it's amazing how advanced engine performance has become. When I started nitro racing in 1999, a Mugen MT12 was a screamer.

I still had a new one laying around and just broke it in for my son to start nitro as well, and all I could think was: WHAT A DOOOG!!!
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
Tech Addict

this isnt stuff that will get ran much, we have ran them when we first got them, havent since though.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Tech Addict

The .12 that is signed by E. picco and Paris hasnt even been ran. I only ran the G-1 and the bone stock .12RR that i personally modded. Its a screamer actually. But i did quit a bit of timing changes and other mod work to it.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Those extra rods laying there are actually rods for 15BB mills.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Tell your friend to kick those Picco .12 conrods as far as he can, the are the old notorious trouble makers.

The new T3 rods (Mega or JLR) also work in those engines and the hold up.

Oh, and if that's really JB-Weld in the crank, take it out, or it will come out at a bad time. Epoxy and alcohol don't go along well

Yeap, it's amazing how advanced engine performance has become. When I started nitro racing in 1999, a Mugen MT12 was a screamer.

I still had a new one laying around and just broke it in for my son to start nitro as well, and all I could think was: WHAT A DOOOG!!!

thats funny stuff....every year I race my HPI super at the challenge(with a 1999 edition HPi NOVA motor)...it was screaming fast in 2000....(and is raced ONLY at the HPI races...)...this year,it was mid pack......and looked slow as molasses....My Rb 3 port standard in my R40 SMOKES the super....motors are incredible i the last 5 years,,,
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote