Search
Like Tree1Likes

JL Racing .12

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearhead13
what kind of plug did it have in it when I got it, the only marking was what looked like a 1 or an L ??
Engine started right up into a good raspy idle. taking it out to run a few tanks.....
The plug that came with the engine is decent and it is great for breaking in the motor, I would suggest replacing it with a P6TH before race tuning it.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

I used P6TC for breaking in and racing with P7TC This plug give me the best performance
where 1800ft temp 70F 30% nitro fuel 9% oil
Old 08-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

Jeff,
Try using a PT6H/C, it will run better than the P7TC, P7TC is too cold for a
.12 motor, it is best for a .21 motor.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Oh no!

Has anyone had one lock up on them? I broke it in properly, ran it thru several tanks after, raced it on a track and then haven't touched it in a couple weeks. I tried to fire it today and it (flywheel) would get stuck. I would loosen it and bump it again. Then it got stuck and I cannot free it. I have removed the plug and am now taking it out of the car. Any suggestions on what it could be or how I should go about checking it over?

Thanks for the help! I am really bumming because for the short time I have ran this, I have really enjoyed it. I will be truly depressed if it is broken.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

did you put after run in it?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NitroNubee
Has anyone had one lock up on them? I broke it in properly, ran it thru several tanks after, raced it on a track and then haven't touched it in a couple weeks. I tried to fire it today and it (flywheel) would get stuck. I would loosen it and bump it again. Then it got stuck and I cannot free it. I have removed the plug and am now taking it out of the car. Any suggestions on what it could be or how I should go about checking it over?

Thanks for the help! I am really bumming because for the short time I have ran this, I have really enjoyed it. I will be truly depressed if it is broken.
Chris A.,
Try this, Take off the glow plug, then drop a few drops of after run oil thru the hole to lubricate the piston/sleeve, then using a heat gun or a hair dryer heat up the motor to about 180 degrees then fire it up.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Has anyone broken a lot of springs with this engine. I broke 4 in 6 qualifiers. Then I ground off the bosses that where touching the spring and made 35 minutes with no failure.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Which spring are you pertaining to?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

You mean manifold-engine spring? I broke two in last race.. don't know what causing this but hopefully I use two
Sam I tried the P6TC today and the engine rev much better thanks
Old 08-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Chris A.,
Try this, Take off the glow plug, then drop a few drops of after run oil thru the hole to lubricate the piston/sleeve, then using a heat gun or a hair dryer heat up the motor to about 180 degrees then fire it up.
gearhead13: yes, I used after run. I bet I have not put 12 tanks thru it yet.

Hi Sam! I took the engine out tonight and was able to free the flywheel with my hands. It is still very tight. I hope that is a good thing and nothing else is wrong! I will put a few drops in and turn it over a few times with my starter box before puting it back in. It should fire right up, it is such a consistant engine. If not, I will try the hair dryer trick. Whew!

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

Bucknuts,

What gearing are you using on your g4s?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Default That was a close one!

In regards to my engine "locking up", I took it out of the car and was able to free the flywheel by hand. It still seemed awefully tight. So I took the head and back plate off. Everything looked/seemed fine. When I put it back together it seemed smoother. Tomorrow I will get it back into the car and try to start it. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroNubee
In regards to my engine "locking up", I took it out of the car and was able to free the flywheel by hand. It still seemed awefully tight. So I took the head and back plate off. Everything looked/seemed fine. When I put it back together it seemed smoother. Tomorrow I will get it back into the car and try to start it. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the tips!
I think you still may have had some fuel in the engine, that will cause it to lock up!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by qcrc
Check the collet. I've had to sand them down as they are too long. When I tried to tighten the clutch nut the fly wheel was still loose. The nut was only hitting the collet and not the fly wheel. It's just some thing to check out.
Hi qcrc
I did exactly that. I sand the collet where it faces the clutch nut and now I can tighten firmly
thanks for your precious tip
Old 08-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff1
Hi qcrc
I did exactly that. I sand the collet where it faces the clutch nut and now I can tighten firmly
thanks for your precious tip
Glad that I could help. Hope that you like the motor. I love mine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.