Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
why the scoop in the button head for modified engines ? >

why the scoop in the button head for modified engines ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why the scoop in the button head for modified engines ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i think from the video given by maximo i think its enough to tell that there's a different in the top end. it slike never ending power. still screaming even at the most end of it.

just from my newbie observation of coz
Old 02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrgsr
hey guys my engine had a weird day of running today..
it did 3 qualifying heats with crazy power running no more than 95-100 degrees celsius (os vz-r .21)
then in the final it blew 2 plugs straight away. the engine came out fast as hell for about 2 minutes then just went slower and died. this when it blew the plugs. we tried to go richer on the top end but it blew the second plug to..
now im wondering if the turboscoop has made more volume therefor maybe i shuld remove a shim ?
what do you think
thanks..
Had the same experience with a VZ-R .21. (without modding the head)

The crank pin seem to be a weak spot. It wears much quicker than other brands.

The fact that they perform does not make up for the quick deterioration of certain parts on the motor.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the fact that one have to sacrifice something to achieve what they wanted at the first place... is normal ever since human knows what is need, what is wish and what is obsession.
as they said.. pay the price
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If you have to remove shims to compensate for lost compression, Doesn't that defeat it's purpose?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gashuffer
If you have to remove shims to compensate for lost compression, Doesn't that defeat it's purpose?
Nope, the modification on the head is made to make more turbulent the mixture, lowering the Combustion head height is to regain the lost compression due to the slightly larger volume on the combustion chamber.

Look at the post I put to a magazine and see the website that someone posted on the first replies.

Sorry for reviving such old thread, but like many others buried here contains lots of good information. Maybe MXwrench and some others may look for those and put a sticky thread just for info, seems that many people are here for wrenching their own engines and look for information.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Giving life back to this post
Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

I would like to do this mod to my engines, I remember extreme r/c magazine doing an article about the grooves and they found that 3 grooves close together had the best results on their dyno. So my questions are, where is it best to face the grooves to the exhaust port or to the main intake port? Also whats the best way to create the grooves? would i just be able to use a dremel with a cutoff wheel. From looking at Singhs work it looks like precision is not that necessary.

I plan on using this in 1/8 offroad so I am really hoping to see if i can't improve mileage more than increase power. If any one has done this mod to a model engine did you notice a runtime increase and also how much runtime did you get.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i already done mine by using triangular file. I plan to remove head shim, but how to check whether my engine is pre-ignition/pinging? is there any wierd sound?