R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default To sell...or NOT to sell...that is the Q..

I bought a Rody V12 std plug 3 port engine and it's the most reliable thing ever. The only downside is the cost for parts....YEEESH!! $200 for a piston/sleeve/rod set...don't get me started on other parts. Seeing as how ratios plays a big role, clutch, pipe, and consistency, I thought of selling it and buying a new engine like an OS .12TZ or some Novarossi NS12 or NSR12. Another thing I been racing with 20%...completely forgot about switching to 30%. The old intro to the world of speed .12, the MT12, has been resting in the GT and I've been itching to test it out with the byrons 30% race blend. Though an RB pipe (model 1751-401) has been on order and should be in next week. Maybe it will run great with the Mt12? Who knows. What I do know is that another $100 can be slapped on the price tag of the sold Rody w/optional turbo head button and plugs (standard and turbo) to get a new Novarossi or the OS. Reliability is the idea here and something with more than enough power to get me going. Remembering how quick the MT was on the R40 in the past kinda gives me thinking of it with new pipe and the fuel...and wondering how it will run around the track with the shorter gear as well. It probably will be like the insane acceleration I've seen on some dudes yok GT4. So enough chit chat...anyone say do the same, sell the engine and get something else or stay with it? Only downside, I think atleast, is should I stay with it and it gets damaged...I won't get anything for it. What would you guys do?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

I'll tell you what I did with my engines. I sold on eBay a NIB Mega Picco ZX-12 for $180 [Incluiding the Palmaris conrod] just to buy a OS TZ. The thing bout engines [if you arent a sponsored driver] is that you have to think long term. The OS TZ you can get for $185 and rebuild internals for less than $100. I stopped using my RB V12 Rody when I found out how much it would cost me to buy a p/s/conrod.

So yes, try to sell your RB V12 Rody. If its in good condition, it could sell for more than you need to buy a OS TZ. The pipe, I would recommend to use the Skyline VR12. Its one of the cheapest pipes out there [$60 and $40 for just the pipe] and still gives some sick power throughout the whole power band.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
Tech Elite

True, though the RB pipe is still on its way and my LHS don't get RD logics, skyline, or other brands than Mugen, Serpent, and THS. I'll still try that RB pipe anyway.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

I say you can't go with OS.12TZ with VR12 skyline pipe combo in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Exclamation

Yeah only thing is I still can't get some LHS here to order it, I can't order it myself as I'm paying off for bills, and the RB pipe is on the way. I wonder how it'd do with it?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Lightbulb

Plan is still on. Gonna run the MT12 to practice with, RB pipe, and the 30%. I'd still have $$ for an NSR12 or something if I wanted too anyway.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

If money is an issue. Sell it. Even with it not being an issue unless your running big races , that kinda motor power isnt worth the cost.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Lightbulb

I'm going to be running at that track bridgeport. If necessary I will go with a faster engine, but going to practice with the MT12. I did awesome with it before and I can do it again. The r40 has been lightened, regeard, and I now have a better pipe and the 30%. Lastly I got that tiny 800nimh 5cell pack to slap in there as another weight reducer. Really gittery to try it, but have to wait till the snow we are getting melts. Rody is great usable power, but for bridgeport mehh...it's not as big as my home track Floyd Bennet. An RS12 will be suitable power for that track as well as an RB V12 turbo. My main thing is to be consistent.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:42 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I'm going to be running at that track bridgeport. If necessary I will go with a faster engine, but going to practice with the MT12. I did awesome with it before and I can do it again. The r40 has been lightened, regeard, and I now have a better pipe and the 30%. Lastly I got that tiny 800nimh 5cell pack to slap in there as another weight reducer. Really gittery to try it, but have to wait till the snow we are getting melts. Rody is great usable power, but for bridgeport mehh...it's not as big as my home track Floyd Bennet. An RS12 will be suitable power for that track as well as an RB V12 turbo. My main thing is to be consistent.
keep up that homework
Old 02-24-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Lightbulb

Meh, only seeing how it'd be another wait at this point to tune the engine, and parts are unlikely to crack in half, I'd probably keep the Rody and get the pipe that finally came it. If my friend doesn't buy the MT12 I'll keep it then. April is the season where all the races are going to start and it's time to get ready for the warm days to practice.