Wiki Posts
Search

Top Elite 5 engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by chevydc44
You have the part# for the shim
You could just remove that shim all together and be just fine. Going from .7 to .5 will make a huge difference in performance
Old 02-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cant drive
You could just remove that shim all together and be just fine. Going from .7 to .5 will make a huge difference in performance
So by simply removing the shim it would make a big diffrencr?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Oh yeah. Novas are over shimmed from the factory, just remove the .2mm headshim and the performance increase will be dramatic. If you are worried about detonation, switch to a c7tgc but the 6 will work just fine as well. Obviously only remove the shim after the engine has a couple gallons on it.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cool man thanks for the info, so pretty much this engine will get the same run time and life as a p5?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Expose193
Cool man thanks for the info, so pretty much this engine will get the same run time and life as a p5?
If you treat it well it will last awhile. I never got 10 minutes on a p5 but darn close. They are great little mills. I even ran it in a truggy and it worked pretty good.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default pipe for elite 5

Hi guys!
I just breaking in my elite 5!
Can i ask something?
As i damaged my gx5R crankshaft, would it be appropriate to combine it with my EFRA 2072 tuned pipe from the GX5R??
any possible issues?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Konstantinos
Hi guys!
I just breaking in my elite 5!
Can i ask something?
As i damaged my gx5R crankshaft, would it be appropriate to combine it with my EFRA 2072 tuned pipe from the GX5R??
any possible issues?
Having gone from a GX5R to a Top Elite 8, I ran the 2072 pipe for a while and never had any hassles with it. I've now switched to a different pipe, but that's just because I'm always trying something new.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rampokker
Having gone from a GX5R to a Top Elite 8, I ran the 2072 pipe for a while and never had any hassles with it. I've now switched to a different pipe, but that's just because I'm always trying something new.
great!!!thanks
( concerning the GX5R and the Elite 5, do you believe that the nova will be faster that the GX5R?)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I went with the elite 8, which definitely has more top end than gx5 had. They're pretty close on bottom end torque though. For me the gx5 had a slight edge on bottom end over the elite 8. I'm not sure what the difference would be between the elite 5 and elite 8.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeromerc
Thanks guys. I will let my friends know then.. Strange that it is better than a P5 and cheaper....
One of my first real engines was a Beat 5 (P5 with a Mugen labeled head) I got a few years ago then about 2 years ago, I got the Elite 5 you're asking about and I noticed right away the Elite 5 is stronger and faster.

I thought maybe it was because I got so much better with engine break-ins since then (maybe that's part of it) but reading some of the other comments, I see it's just a really good deal.

BTW, that same Beat 5 has 8 gallons through it now and still kicks butt. BUT, the Elite 5 can beat it.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi everybody , Just want to know a few thing !
I have 2 of these engines and love them , they are realy good engines for the price !
But here , on the forum , many guys tell to take out a shim or reduce of 0.1 , but is it not bad for the glows ??? Not bad for the conrod ??
And what about fuel consumption does she increase ???
Wich fuel do you use 33%,30%,25% ???
Here in France , i have heard that some guys will put another shim to reduce consumption ...

Thanks for your answers .
Old 11-13-2017, 10:52 AM
am
Tech Master

Originally Posted by maximax
Hi everybody , Just want to know a few thing !
I have 2 of these engines and love them , they are realy good engines for the price !
But here , on the forum , many guys tell to take out a shim or reduce of 0.1 , but is it not bad for the glows ??? Not bad for the conrod ??
And what about fuel consumption does she increase ???
Wich fuel do you use 33%,30%,25% ???
Here in France , i have heard that some guys will put another shim to reduce consumption ...

Thanks for your answers .
I agree with you. Putting one shim in will make your engine slightly down on torque, and you have less wheelspin. This results in better fueconsuption. This is also my experience.
Glowplugs is ok and conrod also, if you would like to remove one shim.

I use Byrons or Racing experience fuel. I would advise you to use the Labemax 25% fuel. It is super good!! Your engine will be very very smooth and you will have even better consumption. Byrons is an ok fuel, but your engine will not be very smooth with Byrons.

I advice you to use the 41005 and 2096 pipe. If your engine is modified, get the 2041 pipe from Donuts racing ;-)
Old 11-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

Originally Posted by am
I agree with you. Putting one shim in will make your engine slightly down on torque, and you have less wheelspin. This results in better fueconsuption. This is also my experience.
Glowplugs is ok and conrod also, if you would like to remove one shim.

I use Byrons or Racing experience fuel. I would advise you to use the Labemax 25% fuel. It is super good!! Your engine will be very very smooth and you will have even better consumption. Byrons is an ok fuel, but your engine will not be very smooth with Byrons.

I advice you to use the 41005 and 2096 pipe. If your engine is modified, get the 2041 pipe from Donuts racing ;-)
Hi , thanks for this review , i run with Labemax fuel too ! And a 2041 from mielke (the original version of the donut's version )
Thanks for that !
Old 11-14-2017, 03:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

just wondering how the donuts racing pipe compares to 2096? I have a modified elite 5 from the nitro shop. I use 41021/2096.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What other pipes+manifolds and runtime are u guys getting on your local tracks? And how many gallons are u guys seeing these engines last? Thanks