External Mugen Fuel Filter?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default External Mugen Fuel Filter?

Hi there guys,

i was wondering if any of you guy's are running the external fuel filter that came with the car in addition to the filter that ist already in the tank (Mugen MBX-7).

I'm asking because i ripped the external fuel filter out some while back because someone told me it would be useless cause there is already that golden (brass???) filter in the tank. Now my practice engine died because of dirt in the cylinder (MASSIVE scratches in the piston where the ports are).

The airfilter doesn't look like something went through, and i ran those filters (PSR Racing) for over a year now without any problems so i am almost 100% sure that the dirt must have went through the fuel line...

Now i wonder if the golden filter in the tank is just bad or if i just had bad luck...
Old 07-07-2015, 03:34 AM
Tech Elite

The external filter is a lot finer.
The clunk isn't a fine filter. I think the main function of the clunk is to be heavy and act like a sponge. I'd still run the external if you want to be on the safe side.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

thats kind of what i thought... going to put that filter back in, don't wanna ruin one of my "good" engines... guess i was lucky i put on of my cheaper engines for practice
Old 07-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default So far, so good

I eliminated the external filter on my MBX7. Re-routed the fuel line to the hot side of the chassis because it was less of a hassle and keeps the fuel supply line short.

Caveat-I no longer race, so for me, dust on the track is w-a-y down. I only do test sessions where there are 1, maybe 2 other cars on the track. I think running an external filter is still a good thing to do-if you can find the room for the fuel supply line and it doesn't foul the carb or brake linkage.

-AC-
Attached Thumbnails External Mugen  Fuel Filter?-003-2-800x600-.jpg  
Old 07-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Tech Rookie

@AHR43

You should definetly shorten your tank shield where it almost touches the air filter snorkel! If the chassis flexes, the tank shield can cut the snorkel which obviosly would make your air filter uselesse...

Already had this Happening, luckily i was running on a concrete/astroturf track that day so it didn't do to much damage to the engine.

i just reatached the fuel filter, an routed the fuel line under the tank shield after the filter. so fuel Comes "from the front" to the engine. Guess this is the shortest Routing possible, and it doesnt bind with the linkage
Old 07-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roboterblut View Post
@AHR43

You should definetly shorten your tank shield where it almost touches the air filter snorkel! If the chassis flexes, the tank shield can cut the snorkel which obviosly would make your air filter uselesse...

Already had this Happening, luckily i was running on a concrete/astroturf track that day so it didn't do to much damage to the engine.

i just reatached the fuel filter, an routed the fuel line under the tank shield after the filter. so fuel Comes "from the front" to the engine. Guess this is the shortest Routing possible, and it doesnt bind with the linkage
Good tip and easy to do. Thanks, Roboterblut. Trimmed both plates, while trying to maintain integrity of the splash shield. Still holding off on re-installing the Mugen fuel filter. May have to at some time in the future. For now, so far, so good.
-AC-
Attached Thumbnails External Mugen  Fuel Filter?-002-2-800x600-.jpg