Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
[B] Good truggy engine under $275 ?[/B] >

[B] Good truggy engine under $275 ?[/B]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[B] Good truggy engine under $275 ?[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default [B] Good truggy engine under $275 ?[/B]

*** Mods , please move this to the nitro off-road section , that's where I thought I was posting ***

Here is the story .... I have a used truggy coming , and was offered a used OS speed and pipe set with 2.5 gallons on it for $250. So I looked around to see what I could buy NEW for similar money ... Not including pipe. I can get in a new maxy cinco through a deal , I see the p5xlt , some alpha engines etc .... Then I get some advice from our fast locals that for truggy its 7 ports or nothing . Now I am really all over the place . Large clay track, pretty fast group of truggies . I wont win or lose because of my engine at this stage in my driving game . Thoughts ?

Last edited by wittyname; 06-12-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

port numbers are not all that important, speeds are 3 port and still woork well in a truggy, the P5 with a 9853 pipe will be great in a truggy as well.

raw power for under 275.. coupled that with a 9853, and you are golden for power, maybe to much.. :-)

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/novaros...roma25/p233072
Old 06-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname
*** Mods , please move this to the nitro off-road section , that's where I thought I was posting ***

Here is the story .... I have a used truggy coming , and was offered a used OS speed and pipe set with 2.5 gallons on it for $250. So I looked around to see what I could buy NEW for similar money ... Not including pipe. I can get in a new maxy cinco through a deal , I see the p5xlt , some alpha engines etc .... Then I get some advice from our fast locals that for truggy its 7 ports or nothing . Now I am really all over the place . Large clay track, pretty fast group of truggies . I wont win or lose because of my engine at this stage in my driving game . Thoughts ?
Amain has the .25 roma truggy engine 250 or take a look at houstons engine service. I love my x5ĺ and the x7 is insane
Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would look at either the Argus R8, or Argus .23. I have ran both in Truggy and both provide great power, and runtime. Check out rw-mods.com. Rex is great for support too if you have questions. The .23 is currently $199.99 and the R8 is $215. There are some videos on his site of the R8 being ran at the track. Check it out!

Whatever you choose, I do not believe you need a "7 port of nothing." I have ran large, med, small tracks and never needed one. Some areas, folks get stuck on "you need this" type mentality. I am not saying that is the case in your area, just my experience.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've got a Nova P5 Clio in mine and it holds its own just fine.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

i have the werks b5 in mine but i like the feel of the b6 better and would go that route if i did it again or the alpha dragon a830 dragon 3 port. seen one in action at our track and it doesn't give up anything at the track i race at.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shein95
i have the werks b5 in mine but i like the feel of the b6 better and would go that route if i did it again or the alpha dragon a830 dragon 3 port. seen one in action at our track and it doesn't give up anything at the track i race at.
we actually run at the same track ... rc pro
Old 06-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

we actually run at the same track ... rc pro
HA, duh. didn't even notice that. i still have some tuning to on the b5, it's very cold natured at the moment but once warm it has tons of drive out the turns but is a little soft i think at the end of the straight. my b6 is still pulling hard when i get to turn one and is no slouch on the bottom end. i've thought about parking the buggy and throwing the b6 in the truggy for the next points race to see how it goes. the alpha in jerms truck is a screamer for sure, i've thought about giving one a try for giggles.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

HA, duh. didn't even notice that. i still have some tuning to on the b5, it's very cold natured at the moment but once warm it has tons of drive out the turns but is a little soft i think at the end of the straight. my b6 is still pulling hard when i get to turn one and is no slouch on the bottom end. i've thought about parking the buggy and throwing the b6 in the truggy for the next points race to see how it goes. the alpha in jerms truck is a screamer for sure, i've thought about giving one a try for giggles.
Did you run the new layout yet ? The counter clock wise deal with the step up and the triple ? The last truggy race there was a bit , ahh , physical to say the least . I was there with the giant Lab getting in everyone's way.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

As for engines , How is that Alpha .23 ? $285 engine with pipe seems pretty reasonable . I may be able to overlook its Taiwan roots ....
Old 06-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Did you run the new layout yet ? The counter clock wise deal with the step up and the triple ? The last truggy race there was a bit , ahh , physical to say the least . I was there with the giant Lab getting in everyone's way.
yeah, i've run the last two weekends. did pretty good in truggy, was battling with eddie and dave for 4th until a low idle caused a few flame outs after pitstops and then i stripped a servo horn. i think i bumped eddie once but everything else on my part was self inflicted. i'd gain a lap for sure if i would stop messing up last step up in the far back and the all too often tuck and roll on the table in the last turn. the motor seems really rich on the high end but i was having temp issues so i'm a little worried about leaning too much too fast but i need to do something.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

As for engines , How is that Alpha .23 ? $285 engine with pipe seems pretty reasonable . I may be able to overlook its Taiwan roots ....
doesn't seem to be very popular judging by the lack of stores selling it. wish they would post the power output to compare it to the .21. i keep forgetting truggys can run bigger motors than the buggies
Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

yeah, i've run the last two weekends. did pretty good in truggy, was battling with eddie and dave for 4th until a low idle caused a few flame outs after pitstops and then i stripped a servo horn. i think i bumped eddie once but everything else on my part was self inflicted. i'd gain a lap for sure if i would stop messing up last step up in the far back and the all too often tuck and roll on the table in the last turn. the motor seems really rich on the high end but i was having temp issues so i'm a little worried about leaning too much too fast but i need to do something.
Yeah , I have sorting out of my own to do on the new layout . Mistakes galore
Old 06-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Name dropped so I thought I would chime in on this one....

For less than $300 with pipe, there is quite a few options out there.
Werks B5 or B6 ( I liked the B5 in the truck more than the B6 myself)
Alpha Lutz ( not the World Edition) A852, or the A352 ( .23)
Novarossi P5 or Clio ( yes the Clio is just the updated P5) or Bonito (a little more money for that one)
Argus and the Nova Rex line make some good ones as well.

Depending on what you are looking for in a engine will ultimately affect your decision. If you are looking for something to keep up with an OS Speed, then you are going to have to adjust your budget to include possibly a mod job on some of the above motors or belly up and spend it on a Speed or VirTus or equal mill.

What I did with my Nova P5, I sent it to Lance at RC Renew for Mod and ceramics. Got it back, matted with a 9901 pipe/ 41021 header and been running the crap out of it since October last year. still going strong, sipping fuel, and just driving it. Motor is smooth and controllable but still has tons of power to burn the knobbies off!
Before that, I had a Clockwork Racing Werks B5 Pro. Loved that motor. Still have it still runs but just wanted to try something new. It does everything the P5 does but would run just as strong if the tune was off. The Nova is a little more touchy that way but still good.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

doesn't seem to be very popular judging by the lack of stores selling it. wish they would post the power output to compare it to the .21. i keep forgetting truggys can run bigger motors than the buggies
The .23 is a little higher in power that the .21. What makes it such a good truck mill is that the extra power is made down low in the RPM range right where the heavier trucks can use it. The down fall is the amount of fuel it uses to make that power. That's why you see a majority of pros still running .21's. But motors today are so over powered as it is, a good .21 will have an advantage in almost all areas compaired to a .23-.28 mill.

Steve, My alpha Dragon is in my buggy. Its a 3 port motor that is very smooth and easy to drive. The torque on this motor creeps up and up and up. It doesn't really have a good snap for a truck. You could adjust the clutch and pipe for ithat but I feel its better suited for buggy use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.