Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro rc break in question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 04:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default Nitro rc break in question

I know they say for your second and third tank to drive at 1/4 throttle in figure 8 circles. But do you have to drive in figure 8s, can't you just drive your car around normally just not exceeding 1/4 throttle. Because I drove my car like that on my third tank and a bit on my second tank. If not why.
Also can you break in your car on grass?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default break in.

Originally Posted by dazablue
I know they say for your second and third tank to drive at 1/4 throttle in figure 8 circles. But do you have to drive in figure 8s, can't you just drive your car around normally just not exceeding 1/4 throttle. Because I drove my car like that on my third tank and a bit on my second tank. If not why.
Also can you break in your car on grass?
Hi check out this video from Gord Tessman. This is Ty Tessman's dad and pit man. This video is a well thought out and there are 2 videos. http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...eak-bible.html, also there is a sticky in the off road nitro engine section look here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...eak-bible.html. I hope this helps you out. Im getting ready to do the heat cycle break in on a brand new OS engine. Michael
Old 05-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default Can you break in your nitro rc car on grass?

The question is in the title
Old 05-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Drivetrain just needs to spin, suspension needs to set in etc. I do see why not. I would watch your engine temps, running on grass can heat an engine up.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

Default Can you break in your nitro engine on a slight hill?

I broke in my nitro engine on a hill, is that fine.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Uphill or downhill?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Uphill or downhill?
both because I'm going to drive it up and down.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

No you don't need to drive in figure 8's, I think people say figure 8's just so the car is close by & you can see & hear whats going on better than you would if it was 50 metre's up the road. I just drive mine around making sure the throttle is varied & not to much throttle too soon, just nice & smooth without causing to much stress on anything. I do figure 8's, circles, straight up & down the street, weaving from side to side etc, doesn't really matter how you do it, just take your time.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

unless the grass is cut very short, don't do it on grass.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Going up hill will take more power to get up & probably put more stress on the engine, like running on grass would & going down wouldn't need very much power at all & the car would roll down.
Depends how steep the hill is really, why not just find some flat ground with no grass & run the engine in the proper way.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 AM
Tech Champion

Important is that Venus is opposite Mars in the seventh astrological quadrant during a full moon. At exactly that moment, and only then, is it permissable to break in a nitro engine going either uphill or downhill. But only for .21's. For 28's I think it's Jupiter opposite Uranus in the third subphase.. Something like that.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Important is that Venus is opposite Mars in the seventh astrological quadrant during a full moon. At exactly that moment, and only then, is it permissable to break in a nitro engine going either uphill or downhill. But only for .21's. For 28's I think it's Jupiter opposite Uranus in the third subphase.. Something like that.
Hahaha
Old 05-11-2015, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

I'm a firm believer in load is good to break in motors but high revs are not.

Little story.

I had a Sworks S3 (Os Blue Head) that I had ran in up to 3/4 litre heat cycling on the Saturday. Come Sunday I took it down to race as it was a cheapy and wasn't too fussed if it lasted or not.
Anyway race day was 3 x 7 min qualy's and then a 1/2 hour a main.
3 mins into the main the heavens opened and the track became really heavy on the buggy's. No one could clear jumps and it just became a quickest lines win race. I had a fairly rich tune going in and was planning on doing 6 mins stops.
As it turned out with the weather and the new extra kilo of weight on my car the tune was perfect.
I was thinking after the race "bugger that didn't do my new engine any good!!"
However it honestly became the best engine I ever owned, the thing did over 50 Litres of performance racing with consistent idle, good mileage (9 + mins) and heaps of power for the whole time. I actually finished it off in a 4 hour straight enduro. with just a battery replacement at the half way mark.

Thats my little story and why I think extra load is good to break em in.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:36 AM
Tech Regular

I've done my break ins on grass, dirt, rocks, you name it for every new engine I've ever had and it didn't hurt them at all. I basically just drive the truck like I am bashing, just with low throttle and no crazy stuff. Just watch your temps and keep the throttle at 1/4 or lower for 4-5 tanks. As long as the engine is in a good temp range, is running on the richer side, and is heat cycled properly it will last a good long time.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I have broken every engine I own on grass. I have found mixing with adderol helps me to not forget I have it idleing on the breakin stand. HaHa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.