Wiki Posts
Search

Picco 5 TX !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by underway
Frank, The Picco carb is the best part of the engine to me. but to answer your question. I have not....
+1
Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Anyone running a different carb on this engine?
I have not, no need to at all. With that being said, I have been wanting to try the new Red's carb just to see if there are any benefits.......
Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I'm planning run a Boost 5TX, can any one tell me wich's the best glowplug for it? Picco P5TH or P6TH

Thanks
Old 04-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by manuelargentina
I'm planning run a Boost 5TX, can any one tell me wich's the best glowplug for it? Picco P5TH or P6TH

Thanks
P5TH
Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

This past weekend was my first experience with Picco engines since the Omega XT circa 2003, yeah...I'm that old. Being a truggy only guy I opted for the 5TX w/2046 pipe set with 5TH plugs on 30% fuel w/7mm insert. No shims were added and I used 14% oil to break in the engine.

Break in was very easy, not quite OS easy but surely not the long process I've been accustomed to over the many years of racing Novarossi based engines. Once on the track I started tuning the engine in and it was very easy. The carb's LSN seems to be longer than Novas so it took a bit larger adjustment nonetheless it tuned flawlessly.

On the track, the largest in size I race at each season, my first impression was the 'punch' compared to the 7 port Novas I've been racing the past 4 seasons. This is based on identical clutch configurations in my Serpent 811 Team Truggy on a track I frequent a few times a year. This was not an overly aggressive bottom end as the powerband remained linear. The bottom/mid is noticeably more especially when would lose momentum approaching a jump face due to poor exit out of the prior corner. I was able to give it a yank of the throttle and recover from my mistake where before I simply did not have the grunt to do so. So in that sense the engine is more forgiving compared to what I've been used to racing. The top end is on par with stock 7 port Novas, OS Speeds, etc.

Once tuned in my mileage was also impressive for the larger track. During the A main I was pitting at 9 and my pit man stated there was fuel still in the tank. I did not get an exact timed fuel run however I do not have the smoothest trigger finger so I believe most folks will get 10 minutes plus out of this setup.

In closing I was pleasantly surprised with the 5TX/2046 combo. There were a few others with same setup and close friends of mine ran the 5TR/2046 combo in their buggies. Nobody had any engine issues so our first weekend out with the new Picco products was surely fun and fast. Oh and for those of you who have not heard these run, they sound awesome...downright nasty loud. The electric only racers will love you even more once they hear these on the track. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

That's a good right up. I just got a 5tx and a 2120 pipe for my buggy. Very happy with the move to picco so far
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

im in the middle of breaking my engine in, after the 3rd tank i noticed it is leaking from the front bearing and under the head. what would be causing this ?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:00 AM
am
Tech Master

That is because you are braking in the engine. It is still very fat.. When you start leaning it, this will go away.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

What's a good alternative plug i can use for the piccos
Old 04-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bkuff-losi
im in the middle of breaking my engine in, after the 3rd tank i noticed it is leaking from the front bearing and under the head. what would be causing this ?
Check top four screws holding head. Maybe one of them isn't tight enough
Old 04-21-2015, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by qaberdeen
I believe the Triton glow plugs are made by Picco. The TRI-5TGP should be the equivalent to the Picco 5TH plug. Also I have heard the OD 277T is an alternative though I have not tried them. If you do, proceed with caution to ensure proper fit/seat into the head button.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by qaberdeen
Maybe Werks?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vandalzzz
Maybe Werks?
I cannot say, never used any Werks products. The Werks engines are not Picco based but instead made by Star motor out of Italy.

You may be able to use many different brands of plugs however once threaded into the head button you may not be able to go back to the 'original' brand of glow plug due to different threads.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

I just put a 5TX in a new MBX7R with a Picco 2046 (9580) pipe, a P6TH plug, and the stock Mugen air filter. The engine started immediately, ran perfectly, didn't leak, and has yet to stall. I'm still breaking it in so I didn't run it hard. I'm looking forward to racing with this.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by scrapsz
I cannot say, never used any Werks products. The Werks engines are not Picco based but instead made by Star motor out of Italy.

You may be able to use many different brands of plugs however once threaded into the head button you may not be able to go back to the 'original' brand of glow plug due to different threads.
I know that thread taper can differ. But take a look at Reds: engines are made at Picco factory, but looks like they're using OS-based plugs.
I will have Werks plugs in hands soon, and compare them against original Picco plugs. But according to some correlations (check my thoughts at 5TR thread) i can assume that they're identical/made at same factory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.