Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Getting away from RTR stock motors, need help with picking a new one >

Getting away from RTR stock motors, need help with picking a new one

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting away from RTR stock motors, need help with picking a new one

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Getting away from RTR stock motors, need help with picking a new one

So, I have been in the hobby for over 6 years but I have always just stuck with whatever motor came on the car. I like to think I can tune really good, haven't tuned many 3 needle carbs but I dont assume they are way off from what I have been working with.

Ive had more traxxas 3.3's than Id like to admit and I can tune that thing in my sleep. I have had a ofna lx2 for some time and I've got the .28 it came with tuned the best it can be. I tend to always run hot but that doesn't bother me as long its not over 275ish.

I want to swap the motor on the lx2 with...... Help me out, I want top end out of this car... Its my basher and right now I have slicks that I have a ton of fun with drifting etc.

I just sent back a POS HPI pulse that I paid $460 for... bad idea... they entire buggy seemed super cheap and the motor didnt impress me at all.

I am buying a Ofna sabre x3 on Friday and that will be what I race with.

So ideas for both buggy's would be awesome.

last question, why doesn't axail make motors anymore? There is a .28rr on ebay that's brand new I was thinking about getting.. I want bottom end grunt but some faster top speeds for the lx2
Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

If you want to race a buggy in an organized race it has to be a .21.. Check out 22racer on this forum and see what kind of Argus he can hook you up with.

Besides that, a Werks B2 or B5 is worth a look. Maybe an RB Blast from Amain..

Nitrohouse also had the Mugen Beat B5 on sale for really cheap - it's a rebadged Novarossi P5XLT - definitely worth a look...

Werks, Alpha, Argus(rebadged Alpha), RB, Novarossi - IMO all good..
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
If you want to race a buggy in an organized race it has to be a .21.. Check out 22racer on this forum and see what kind of Argus he can hook you up with.

Besides that, a Werks B2 or B5 is worth a look. Maybe an RB Blast from Amain..

Nitrohouse also had the Mugen Beat B5 on sale for really cheap - it's a rebadged Novarossi P5XLT - definitely worth a look...

Werks, Alpha, Argus(rebadged Alpha), RB, Novarossi - IMO all good..
I will put the .21 on the sabre but I will never be racing the lx2 so I am looking for a motor thats just got a ton of power down low with a gooood top speed for the 1/8 buggy...

you threw a few brands at me of which I know two of lol... what specific model/brand would be the best bang for buck for what Im looking for?
Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Ah.. For bashing the Ofna, just get a Losi 454 off ebay - preferably the one with the starter box backplate. Then of course you need a starter box..

For more money, a Picco Boost .28 would be very awesome for silly power in a buggy..

A Losi 427 is nice in a buggy too..(the silver one..)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Ah.. For bashing the Ofna, just get a Losi 454 off ebay - preferably the one with the starter box backplate. Then of course you need a starter box..

For more money, a Picco Boost .28 would be very awesome for silly power in a buggy..

A Losi 427 is nice in a buggy too..(the silver one..)

I like the picco. I saw two different versions of it when I googled it... any tips on the best place to buy it? It shows out of stock at amain. Any idea if the picco offers a shaft start backplate? Or just pull start and flywheel...
Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Amain is good when they're in stock cuz you can sometimes get discount codes.. If not, track down rcrenew - I think he's a main Picco dealer... (He's in the Picco, Alpha, and his own thread..)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

check out the last Picco on the page.
http://www.rcrenew.com/Picco%20engines.html
Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Suspended

Thanks!

Last edited by GvilleFloridaR1; 02-06-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

I would NOT go with Losi 454 or 427 since they are both "stock RTR" engines and that's what you DON'T want.
Go with a regular .21 and you will have a blast.

I my self come from Traxxas 3.3 (at least 8 of them) and moved to Losi RTR cars with 454 engine. That was a big step to better ground.
But the ABSOLUTE step up was when I started using Werks B5 for the Truggy and Buggy and started to realize what a HUGE difference it is between the 3.3 and a "real" engine.
I don't mean that the Werks B5 is the "real" engien only. I'm talking about the .21 genre of racing engines. Away with the small clutch, away with the spin/roto/pull -start and in with the starter box.
Before I used a starter box it seemed to be a big hassle but I would NEVER EVER go back to any kind of "open" back plate starter method due to OWB.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

There are many good engines out today depending on what your $$$ is.
Werks B5, Nova P5
OS XZ, RB, FX

Any of these engines will be more than enough to power your buggy. Just make sure you include the correct pipe in your budget, most engines will become a new mill on the right pipe. Send James at Red Rock Hobbies a PM he always caters to us racers. (click the blue)
Old 09-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

does anyone know of a direct drop in .21 engine for the lx2?

thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattie696
does anyone know of a direct drop in .21 engine for the lx2?

thanks
Any current .21 - .32 will drop right in.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Rcrenew
Any current .21 - .32 will drop right in.
That's not true, I got a Mach 2 and used it and had to drill holes in the chassis to move the motor mount foreword 15cm to get the engine to mesh to the spur gear

So does anyone tossed the Force .28 and put a .21 in no issues? (direct drop in)
Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

15cm?

Even if 15mm, it shouldn't be necessary to drill new holes. Maybe a different clutch set-up?..
Old 09-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattie696
That's not true, I got a Mach 2 and used it and had to drill holes in the chassis to move the motor mount foreword 15cm to get the engine to mesh to the spur gear

So does anyone tossed the Force .28 and put a .21 in no issues? (direct drop in)
Sounds like you just need to shim/ change your clutch setup , you should not have to drill or modify anything.

Post a pic and it will help us get an idea whats going on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.