Trackstar .28 review

Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default Trackstar .28 review

I have been wanting a pull start for my Ofna LX2 since I take out where carrying a starting box is a hassle. My buddy runs a trackstar .21 and I liked it OK. So since I was looking for something cheap I decided to try the .28 version out with handpull.

Once I received it (I ordered it on 23rd of Dec and got it on 2 Jan and I used cheap shipping method) I broke it down. I was impressed with most of the motor. The head does not have any holes bored into which is fine. The head is very duarble built though and should have adequate surface area. The pull start is the best I have used. It has plenty of pull string and the starting shaft actually has a bearing it rides on which I have never seen. It also uses a German one way beaing. The carb is a 2 needle and factory settings is at flush which makes things easy to remember. The insert is 8mm and was a bitch to get out. The crank is not filled and is plain Jane 14mm type. The rod is nice and bulky and the sleeve has no porting. Just a simple 3 port though the case is setup for a 5 port. It also runs a turbo plug. *** Other reported the Trackstar .21 had no pinch when new. This motor had plenty pinch. Not like a Alpha but just as much as my RB TM928 had when it was new.

I decided to mount it today in my car and break it in. The motor starts very easy and I let it idle till it reached 160f degrees. I ran it with a 7mm insert though. Let me tell you guys, this motor has insane bottom end. It does not like heavy finger at all and I flipped it several times while keeping it under 1/2 throttle for the first 3 tanks. This motor has more bottom end then an Axial .32, Dynamite .24xp, Ofna Force .28, Orion Thule edition .21, RB TM928, O'donnell .21, and some other crappy motors. I know none of these are super high end mills but this motor really launches from idle.

The mid range is equally impressive and the top end was similiar to RB TM928. After not adjusting it the first 3 tanks I ended up turning the HS 1/4 turn total and the motor never ran hotter then 205 at the glow plug with outside temps at 35f and using a Cold turbo plug. With the 7mm insert and running VP 20% 14% I got 13 minutes out of my final tank. The LX2 uses a 150cc tank and I ran the shit out of it.

The bad: When I opened the motor up I measured the piston and stroke and its not a .28. It is actually a .25 instead which I actually expected. I remember some time back that HK had a review for this motor and it stated the displacement was wrong. Though that buyer left 5 stars feedback and even with this mistake I would also give full 5 star feedback.

Final review: I am unbelievably impressed with this motor. Out of box its simply a blast, easy to tune, powerful, easy to start, and just pure fun. Am I saying this is equal to some big name mills? No I am not but honestly when I bought some nicer motors I got the power I expected. This motor has given me much more and with excepton of top end it has outperformed the other motors I listed.

The things that I am concerned about is longevity. If it last 5 gallons then this was a great deal. Even 3 gallons and I would be satisfied. Onl time will tell how well it holds up but on the box it states DLC (diamond like coating) so if that holds true it would be nice.

Any questions just ask and sorry for the length but I wanted to be fair and descriptive.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Last edited by Jaz240; 01-08-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Not worth the aggravation
Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Rookie

So it's worth buying then? I'm thinking of getting it just as a basher engine. I'll be running it on a rc8.2.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the review. I have been wondering about how these motors perform
Old 02-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

If you do some homework, the Trackstar .28 and .21 are actually GO motors. Which makes them halfway decent. I was considering buying one of these for my truggy to bash with, but went a different direction once i figure a rotostart backplate doesn't fit my kit.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

ok so a friend of mine just bought the non pull start 21 size version of this engine to run in nitro buggy competition. i have my doubts about it holding up in the world of buggy racing even at a week to week club level. this is his first go at nitro buggy and from my exprience with nitro. you pretty much get what you pay for with engines. so at 70 dollars. im sceptical . anybody use this engine at a competition level?
Old 02-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Which pipe did you match this with? Thinking about giving this a go? Thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 28cc

What size gears did you used.....QUOTE=zandrew;12887093]I have been wanting a pull start for my Ofna LX2 since I take out where carrying a starting box is a hassle. My buddy runs a trackstar .21 and I liked it OK. So since I was looking for something cheap I decided to try the .28 version out with handpull.

Once I received it (I ordered it on 23rd of Dec and got it on 2 Jan and I used cheap shipping method) I broke it down. I was impressed with most of the motor. The head does not have any holes bored into which is fine. The head is very duarble built though and should have adequate surface area. The pull start is the best I have used. It has plenty of pull string and the starting shaft actually has a bearing it rides on which I have never seen. It also uses a German one way beaing. The carb is a 2 needle and factory settings is at flush which makes things easy to remember. The insert is 8mm and was a bitch to get out. The crank is not filled and is plain Jane 14mm type. The rod is nice and bulky and the sleeve has no porting. Just a simple 3 port though the case is setup for a 5 port. It also runs a turbo plug. *** Other reported the Trackstar .21 had no pinch when new. This motor had plenty pinch. Not like a Alpha but just as much as my RB TM928 had when it was new.

I decided to mount it today in my car and break it in. The motor starts very easy and I let it idle till it reached 160f degrees. I ran it with a 7mm insert though. Let me tell you guys, this motor has insane bottom end. It does not like heavy finger at all and I flipped it several times while keeping it under 1/2 throttle for the first 3 tanks. This motor has more bottom end then an Axial .32, Dynamite .24xp, Ofna Force .28, Orion Thule edition .21, RB TM928, O'donnell .21, and some other crappy motors. I know none of these are super high end mills but this motor really launches from idle.

The mid range is equally impressive and the top end was similiar to RB TM928. After not adjusting it the first 3 tanks I ended up turning the HS 1/4 turn total and the motor never ran hotter then 205 at the glow plug with outside temps at 35f and using a Cold turbo plug. With the 7mm insert and running VP 20% 14% I got 13 minutes out of my final tank. The LX2 uses a 150cc tank and I ran the shit out of it.

The bad: When I opened the motor up I measured the piston and stroke and its not a .28. It is actually a .25 instead which I actually expected. I remember some time back that HK had a review for this motor and it stated the displacement was wrong. Though that buyer left 5 stars feedback and even with this mistake I would also give full 5 star feedback.

Final review: I am unbelievably impressed with this motor. Out of box its simply a blast, easy to tune, powerful, easy to start, and just pure fun. Am I saying this is equal to some big name mills? No I am not but honestly when I bought some nicer motors I got the power I expected. This motor has given me much more and with excepton of top end it has outperformed the other motors I listed.

The things that I am concerned about is longevity. If it last 5 gallons then this was a great deal. Even 3 gallons and I would be satisfied. Onl time will tell how well it holds up but on the box it states DLC (diamond like coating) so if that holds true it would be nice.

Any questions just ask and sorry for the length but I wanted to be fair and descriptive.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Two questions, please:
1. Did you removed the insert from the carb after you finished the brake in?
2. I'm confused about the plug you need. I know they say you have to use a turbo plug, however there are guys out there who says this is wrong and you should use a regular plug. I just completed the first 8 tanks with a regular plug and it's running just fine. I've never had an engine with a turbo plug so I don't know if you can realize what you need just looking at the head's thread. I suppose they are different since the turbo plug does not use a gasket.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tzicul
Two questions, please:
1. Did you removed the insert from the carb after you finished the brake in?
2. I'm confused about the plug you need. I know they say you have to use a turbo plug, however there are guys out there who says this is wrong and you should use a regular plug. I just completed the first 8 tanks with a regular plug and it's running just fine. I've never had an engine with a turbo plug so I don't know if you can realize what you need just looking at the head's thread. I suppose they are different since the turbo plug does not use a gasket.
My trackstar .28 engine uses a turbo plug, but I read in some reviews on HobbyKing that they used to come with regular glow plugs but I'm not sure how true that is. The two types of glow plugs are not interchangeable, the threads are different.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

Well, then it's definitely a regular plug as I could screw it in
Old 01-11-2020, 04:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Start up issue

I am having issues starting my Trackstar 28 on an Ofna Titan, wondering if anyone had tips. Its a gift for someone and was hoping to get it running soon. Thanks in advance.