Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
new truck tuning and questions >

new truck tuning and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new truck tuning and questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Arrow new truck tuning and questions

I purchased a brand new Ofna Nexx 8t few days ago with the force .32. Its the first new nitro I have owned and have a few questions.

The truck has been broken in using the heat cycle method, heated up the head with a heat gun before each run, ran the truck just up and down the drive way slow for about 3-4 min. Did that about 5 times, then ran the truck with a tad more throttle just up and down the driveway again in about 4 five minute sessions. Temps reaching about 200-216ish, letting it cool to about 80-90deg at BDC between each run. I still have yet to do any high speed runs, heck I have barely done any 1/2 throttle runs (set my servo max to about half so I wouldnt get tempted lol)

1. This bugger is hellacous to start every single time, even with priming. Also usually needs throttle for bout 5-15 seconds to stay idling, is that normal? I am using the stock b4 plug and ofna igniter, maybe that is the cause? Maybe I am not used to such compression? Will it get easier after a few more tanks? (It does have a pull start)

2. The needles are pretty much all stock, HSN is bout 1/8th of a turn richer just for good measure....if the truck idles any more then 20-30 seconds it will die, the temp has never been over 220 so to me it is hard to believe it is vapor locking. Idles kind of high too, but dont want to lower it as it dies already.

3. After above said break-in that I have done, is it ok to start doing higher then 1/2 throttle runs? It lays a pretty nice stream of blue smoke when I get throttle happy, but didnt want to start leaning it until have checked it over with you guys.

Sorry for all the questions and huge post but wanted to put all info I could so you guys could give me the right answers.