Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WD-40 as an after run

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default WD-40 as an after run

This is a question that almost everybody asks about. Can WD-40 be used as an after run oil since no after run is sold in my area? What about marvel mystery oil? This is a question I always wonder about and nobody has an answer to it. Which one is better?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Marvel Mystery Oil is just about the same as most ARO if not the same. I know many that use it with no ill effects.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Is marvel mystery oil safe for silicone filled cranks?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
i was wondring this myself Anybody ?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Its not corrosive or anti epoxy... It should be ok. But wd-40 would be the worst thing. The plug would pop Tue minute it tried to burn it.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

ARO is somewhere between transmission fluid and MMO.Lightweight oil thats good in high temps and acidic environment. I've used Marvel Mystery Oil for over six years. and never had a wear issue. I've got a LST2 with a RB TM728 in it, that I used MMO in all the time. I took it off the shelf after literally 5 yrs, took the back cover off (only an air cleaner was on carb, pipe still in place) and it was shinny like it was last weeks use. put a couple of drops in glow hole and a couple more down carb, turned it over by hand. Added fuel and 5 minutes later it's doing wheelies down the street! Oh yeah, I put a drop on the rod too while the back was open. Granted, I've always used Byrons Fuel and now am using VP, so I'm sure Good fuel helps too.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
MMO is used in Auto motors which have silicone gasket in many places.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Boinker
Its not corrosive or anti epoxy... It should be ok. But wd-40 would be the worst thing. The plug would pop Tue minute it tried to burn it.
Not only that, but the way WD40 works is to break down the grease or oil in a hinge or whatever, and make it flow back into place, eliminating the squeak.It dissolves the grease to make it flow.....Image that in your motor....basically stripping the oil off the sleeve and piston......That and it is very volatile, so when you fire up the motor, it might just blow....maybe...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Unless you are planning on storing your engines for an extended period (more than a couple weeks), there really isn't a need for ARO between uses, especially if you're using a quality fuel and storing your engines out of the elements...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Is Sidewinder 20% Race Blend with 12% castor/synthetic oil a good fuel? I usually don't let my car sit for over a week at most.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

A few posts I found about MMO.

MMO was created in 1923, long before low sulphur diesel fuel was even a concept. Its purpose was to promote clean carburetors and fuel systems, which was a not-insignificant problem back then due to the inconsistent refining processes used. Conceived as an engine system cleaner (solvent) its purpose seems to have morphed more recently*into that of a fuel lubricity additive, which may explain its poor showing in the lubricity comparison quoted in a previous post if the solvent ingredients have remained unchanged. Promotional material about the product implies that it's "mysterious" formula is still the same.

So it seems a bit odd to me that one would want to use a chemical mixture that was designed to remove petroleum-based sludge and deposits as something to promote the the lubrication of components by petroleum-based fuel.

Here's what it is:
- About 75% aromatics (e.g., benzene)
- About 25% mineral spirits (i.e., mostly hexane)
- About half a percent of chlorinated hydrocarbons (yet another solvent)

So, the "mystery" is out. It's a solvent. Pure and simple.

The funny thing is, it's not an oil. In fact, it's just about the opposite of an oil. It's clearly nothing more or less than a solvent.

In fact, they should call it "Marvel Mystery Solvent" but I guess that wouldn't distinguish it from any other solvent, nor even from plain old gasoline for that matter.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Unless you are planning on storing your engines for an extended period (more than a couple weeks), there really isn't a need for ARO between uses, especially if you're using a quality fuel and storing your engines out of the elements...
+1 I use Dynamite fuel which is made by Sidewinder, you do not need to use Aro. I never do even before leaving it sit for months. There are only a couple fuels left that I have seen that seem to rust up motors.

Rex
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Originally Posted by XtremeJumpin16
This is a question that almost everybody asks about. Can WD-40 be used as an after run oil since no after run is sold in my area? What about marvel mystery oil? This is a question I always wonder about and nobody has an answer to it. Which one is better?
since no one actually awnsered your question, ....
no, wd-40 would not be a good choise, it will soften a silicon filled crank and cause problems in the future, will also dry out bearings.

yes to the marvel oil, wont hurt anything.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Agree. I use Byrons and have never really cared for ARO. I generally have my engines fired up at least weekly. All my gear is stored in my 'man cave' - temp controlled!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NM RACING
since no one actually awnsered your question, ....
no, wd-40 would not be a good choise, it will soften a silicon filled crank and cause problems in the future, will also dry out bearings.

yes to the marvel oil, wont hurt anything.
+1

Transmision fluid is much cheeper than ARO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.