Engine Temp Runs Hot

Old 08-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Engine Temp Runs Hot

I have a vertex .16cc engine in my rc car. It runs at 315 degrees and if i richen it out it barely goes down and if i keep richening it the performance decreases. Does it like to run this hot then? There is a good sized smoke trail that follows it.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XtremeJumpin16 View Post
I have a vertex .16cc engine in my rc car. It runs at 315 degrees and if i richen it out it barely goes down and if i keep richening it the performance decreases. Does it like to run this hot then? There is a good sized smoke trail that follows it.
That is deffinetly hot. Stupid question though, Is your temp gun in cecius and it says 31.5 degrees. Just a thought. Are you richening both high and low side needles? Have you looked thru the manual to find where the stock needle settings are and set them there and see how it runs? Also, where are you taking your temp from. I know my Werks motor runs between 220-250 but if you temp the pipe where it comes out of the motor it runs about 300.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

I'll tell you one thing, if you are richening it and the temp is barely decreasing, your engine is haunted, or something.

Reset your stock needle settings.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Sounds like a "no pinch left" situation..... sorry to say
Old 08-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Tech Master

Does the engine run ok when at this temp? If so then id say its either a freak or your temp gun is off. Unless its a raytek infa red or better i wouldnt trust it.

What fuel do you run? oil percentage?

In theory engines will run at all sorts of temps and reasons why vary depending on a lot of factors.

M
Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 AM
Tech Adept

Is the engine sealed, can you spot a leak, is the fuel tank and lines good and in what kind of vehicle is this?

At 300f if the engine is still running good or somewhat properly but hot then you could have a slipping clutch, dragging brakes or a bearing going out in the car. Usually when tuned improperly and running that hot they will eventually stall. But when running that hot and will still perform ok that usually means the tune is close but there are factors causing the excessive heat. Take a look around and see if there is anything you can find wrong.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Initiate

I ran it today and I put it at the stock needle settings. It went up to 345 degress farenheit and when i richened it out to flush it stayed above 300. This is scaring me and i am using a medium plug. What else can i do??
Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

I ran it today and I put it at the stock needle settings. It went up to 345 degress farenheit and when i richened it out to flush it stayed above 300. This is scaring me and i am using a medium plug. What else can i do??
Is smoke coming for the actual engine/engine head?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Initiate

No i tested it for leaks there is no leaks. This engine is a mystery. I dont even run it with a cover on because it is too scary to. I use sidewinder 20% race blend with 12% castor/synthetic. I use a medium plug too. There is plenty of smoke that comes out also. Should i place a fan with a battery pack onto the car?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Initiate

There is no smoke coming out of the engine whatsoever except the exhaust
Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

No i tested it for leaks there is no leaks. This engine is a mystery. I dont even run it with a cover on because it is too scary to. I use sidewinder 20% race blend with 12% castor/synthetic. I use a medium plug too. There is plenty of smoke that comes out also. Should i place a fan with a battery pack onto the car?
Check your idle gap, could be too small. With restrictor out, set to .5mm -
.7mm and set idle speed with the LS needle.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

do the wheels spin freely when the engine is at idle or with everything not running. Are the brakes dragging or is a bearing locking up if that is the case. What does the engine sound like when taking off?? is there a delay (feels like a car trying to start in 3rd gear) in the transfer of power? does the clutch bell turn blue or purple after a long driving session.

My explanation if all else is ok... Screw it. If it runs well at 300-345' F and is smoking light a freight train then screw it and go with it. If the engine was actually lean as heck and Had an issue at 345' F then you would notice a loss in Power, low end, or notice the engine running awkward or improperly.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Initiate

The engine has a great start in power it kicks right off the line as soon as i hit the throttle. The wheels do not spin freely and nothing locks up i checked all of that. Should I open up the engine and check for any issues such as a melted sleeve or signs of wear? My engine is an ABN engine.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

The engine has a great start in power it kicks right off the line as soon as i hit the throttle. The wheels do not spin freely and nothing locks up i checked all of that. Should I open up the engine and check for any issues such as a melted sleeve or signs of wear? My engine is an ABN engine.
Looks like a ABC sleeve to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PISTON-S...item3cabd4b8da
Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Initiate

I found the cause of the overheating. I took the engine head off and found a small hole in my piston right in the center of it. I am sending it back since I only had it a month and I have warranty on it. Thanks guys!