Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion CRF 2012 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by basher26
Can you confirm it was the pipe? Did you try a different carb? I am having the same problems tuning my orion .21 5 port and .24 5 port.
I think it was the carb, the pipe did boil and caused some problem.

Monty looked at one of my videos, and this is what he told me. Take your carb off, leave the fuel line hooked up and fuel in the tank, blow through the exhaust line until lots of fuel comes out, then take out all the needles in the carb (3), once again blow through the fuel line and let lots of fuel go through it, then take a cleaner and clean ALL your needles, then reassemble.

I did this and I was able to run multiple tanks through my Cody King engine, I also put in a HOT plug. When taking apart my carb I found a broke O-ring that held the carb in and there was some dirt that came out from the carb or off of it. I did clean it what I thought very well before pulling the carb. I think Monty was right with it being the carb, now I just need to richen it up a bit on the top because I went through a new glow plug pretty quickly. I will test more but I am trying to get ready for a race and am just trying to make sure I use the right engine for my Main but the carb thing helped greatly I would suggest for you to clean using the method Monty said, also some compressed air might help clean it up a bit along with carb clean or other cleaning agents. Remember dirt can be very small where you don't see it but it can sure mess things up on an engine.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If anyone interested have a brand new engine and pipe in the fs section

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...gine-pipe.html
Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I raced a good race this weekend with the 2012 3 port. I have the white buggy that TQed and led the first lap. I blew it towards the end and took 2nd. But the motor was awesome all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfd0B...e_gdata_player
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I'm looking for advice on the proper glow plug to use on the CRF 5 port engine. I'm located in the Mid-Atlantic (east coast) area where temps are generally in the low to upper 90's. I see that Orion offers up 4 different types #4 - #7 (warmer - cooler). I'm looking for a bigger tuning window as I'm still learning how to tune nitro engines in general. Should I start out with the #4 or #5 or can I go to a #6? I'll be using Byron Race 3000 (30% / 11%) for the first gallon or two. I'll most likely switch to their ProDriver afterwards. Again, I'm looking for and prefer a bigger/easier tuning window than higher performance (at this point).
Old 08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Can anyone confirm that the new orion motors are any easier to tune ? They are suppose to be.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.C
I'm looking for advice on the proper glow plug to use on the CRF 5 port engine. I'm located in the Mid-Atlantic (east coast) area where temps are generally in the low to upper 90's. I see that Orion offers up 4 different types #4 - #7 (warmer - cooler). I'm looking for a bigger tuning window as I'm still learning how to tune nitro engines in general. Should I start out with the #4 or #5 or can I go to a #6? I'll be using Byron Race 3000 (30% / 11%) for the first gallon or two. I'll most likely switch to their ProDriver afterwards. Again, I'm looking for and prefer a bigger/easier tuning window than higher performance (at this point).
I would start with a #5. Warmer plugs are easier to tune but colder plugs allow you to lean the engine out more. Recently at a race a good friend of mine was having issues with his engine flaming out we could not seem to get it tuned. Then we swapped in an ultra hot plug and it ran perfect the rest of the race day. The colder the plug the smaller the window.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

+ 1 on the #5 glow plug. I know they seem to be sold out everywhere. But tower hobbies has the Werks brand #5 that is the same.

The 2012 version holds a tune far better than the previous models and is also really easy to get in tune. You can hear a change with every adjustment. The old version I felt did not respond as well to needle adjustments.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I would start with a #5. Warmer plugs are easier to tune but colder plugs allow you to lean the engine out more. Recently at a race a good friend of mine was having issues with his engine flaming out we could not seem to get it tuned. Then we swapped in an ultra hot plug and it ran perfect the rest of the race day. The colder the plug the smaller the window.
Originally Posted by joecool
+ 1 on the #5 glow plug. I know they seem to be sold out everywhere. But tower hobbies has the Werks brand #5 that is the same.

The 2012 version holds a tune far better than the previous models and is also really easy to get in tune. You can hear a change with every adjustment. The old version I felt did not respond as well to needle adjustments.
Thanks guys!! Good to know the Werks #5 will work just as well. I'll have to go with these for now since I can't find the Orion #5 in stock anywhere either.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default o ring

Can someone please tell me what size or part number is the o ring for a carb pinch bolt?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

guys have a question was looking at getting a jared tebo edition motor/pipe combo jus wanted to ask is much diffference between the new motors?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by transplantlife
guys have a question was looking at getting a jared tebo edition motor/pipe combo jus wanted to ask is much diffference between the new motors?

Thanks
The 2012 models have new designed carb needles that make the motor far easier to tune. I think the head button is slightly updated also. Lastly, the cooling head has more drill holes making lighter than the previous, and the crank case has more webbing to make it stiffer so it doesn't expand and "move" around as much throughout the temperature range.

Buy the tebo engine and this upgrade kit
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...le-Upgrade-Kit

You will not be disappointed.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joecool
The 2012 models have new designed carb needles that make the motor far easier to tune. I think the head button is slightly updated also. Lastly, the cooling head has more drill holes making lighter than the previous, and the crank case has more webbing to make it stiffer so it doesn't expand and "move" around as much throughout the temperature range.

Buy the tebo engine and this upgrade kit
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...le-Upgrade-Kit

You will not be disappointed.
Joe thanks for your help!