Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Engine leaking nitro, need help >

Engine leaking nitro, need help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine leaking nitro, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Engine leaking nitro, need help

I noticed some fuel on my receiver box, so I took a close look when running the engine. It seems like fuel is spitting from between the cooling head and crankcase... how do I fix this?

It could also be coming from the exhaust gasket, although it is new, I'm going to get a different one sometime this week to check. But if it is in fact b/w the cooling head and crankcase, I'm not sure what to do.

My idle seems to be a bit erratic and so does the tune, w/ a leak this is the most likely cause, correct?

I'm running a LRP .28 w/ Byron's 20%

Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlockHed
I noticed some fuel on my receiver box, so I took a close look when running the engine. It seems like fuel is spitting from between the cooling head and crankcase... how do I fix this?

It could also be coming from the exhaust gasket, although it is new, I'm going to get a different one sometime this week to check. But if it is in fact b/w the cooling head and crankcase, I'm not sure what to do.

My idle seems to be a bit erratic and so does the tune, w/ a leak this is the most likely cause, correct?

I'm running a LRP .28 w/ Byron's 20%

Thanks
Check the head bolts. Make sure that they are tight.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

They were tight, but I will re check

Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If the head bolts are tight then look at the exhaust. Just because the gasket is new doesn't mean that it didn't get a tear in it or that the manifold is on straight. Could be cocked sideways or the gasket tore on re installation. If the leak is between the head and case you have a major issue. Take the head off and check the shims to make sure they haven't been cracked or bent or not installed at all. And that the head is on straight use a star pattern(like putting a 4 lug tire wheel) to tighten it down.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

So being new to this, what am I lopking for as far as the shims? In the manual it doesn't show shims, unless I'm missing something, which could be the case...
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlockHed
So being new to this, what am I lopking for as far as the shims? In the manual it doesn't show shims, unless I'm missing something, which could be the case...
Is this your engine? All engines have head shims. The diagram seems to indicate 2 shims (#38235).

Has this engine been disassembled before? The shims may be aluminum in color and hard to recognize.

http://aedownloads.com/downloads/man...28R_manual.pdf
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

That is my engine, I didn't realize they were below the button (i think thats what it is called). I did buy it used but from someone on this forum who seems reputable.. Ill pull the head off and see what I find.

Is this an easy fix or could I be screwed?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

here are some pics of a head shim. They are usually around the head button.
Attached Thumbnails Engine leaking nitro, need help-039-1280x721-.jpg   Engine leaking nitro, need help-041-1280x721-.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

if the engine isn't to old you should still be able to get them. But most shim are interchangeable.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Default Pics

Ok, I took off the head and button and the shim was there, looked ok to me. The head of the piston looked "burnt" a little but seemed ok also (no scarring etc, along w/ the sleeve, looked clean.

One screw seemed a tad tight and upon further review didn't look like it screwed all the way down. I swapped it out w/ a new screw and it screwed in nicely.

I'm putting it back together and getting some new gaskets for the manifold and we'll see what happens.

Please look at the pics and let me know if something looks wrong to you.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Engine leaking nitro, need help-2012-05-01-19.57.05.jpg   Engine leaking nitro, need help-2012-05-01-19.58.08.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Looks ok, in the second pic there seems to be some scoring on the sleeve which is where the shims go. Also looks like some pitting on the piston so I would try a richer mixture.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the input, I usually try and run a little rich, I'm not racing, so I would sacrifice some performance for engine longevity.

Is the pitting normal with age?

I'll let you know how it turns out