2.5 Tmaxx acting weird.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Unhappy 2.5 Tmaxx acting weird.

Hi guys.

So my buddy sees my AWESOME DEAL on a nitro Revo 3.3 that I bought. he catches the bug and wants one bad. I findd him a Tmaxx on Craigslist for $150, claiming it needs a reciever. I watched the guy start it up on his tailgate. seemed to start ok. Next day my buddy is tinkering with it and I go to investigate with him. We found two different crystals in the radio and receiver. Solved immedeately. Couldn't do much else, so I brought it home after starting the wretched thing over a dozen times and watching it run. once home I determined the batteries were shot to the servo/electrics so I swapped for new. Radio Control RESTORED.

***HERE IS THE ISSUE***

I go out side to test drive, freaking thing wont start for squat.

I primed it. Solved a fuel and exhaust leak, fixed the seal on the fuel tank, and still nothing. Finally I lean the LSN VERY VERY SLIGHTLY. (Roughly 5 degrees clockwise.) Nothing to the HSN NOR IDLE SET.
Starts. Runs! I start trying to tune it for proper mixture, (very slight adjustments while running on dry pavement) but the wretched thing will never act like my old Tmaxx nor my new Revo. It was very very sluggish.

Now as a result of tuning, stupid thing will not even start without several flooding issues. It spits fuel from the carb, etc. Once in a while it will start, but wont run for beans. Carb adjustments do little if anything. I have had the HSN OUT and APART. I cant see any problem there. I dont know how to remove the slide nor the LSN. We removed the hex plugs and see no build up nor jellying... We're at a loss. The thing makes what Id call decent suction and compression. Any thoughts?

I really need help patching this friendship up before he decides I bought him a junk TMaxx. Guys please help, and you'll be doing me a great favor.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crnext View Post
Hi guys.

So my buddy sees my AWESOME DEAL on a nitro Revo 3.3 that I bought. he catches the bug and wants one bad. I findd him a Tmaxx on Craigslist for $150, claiming it needs a reciever. I watched the guy start it up on his tailgate. seemed to start ok. Next day my buddy is tinkering with it and I go to investigate with him. We found two different crystals in the radio and receiver. Solved immedeately. Couldn't do much else, so I brought it home after starting the wretched thing over a dozen times and watching it run. once home I determined the batteries were shot to the servo/electrics so I swapped for new. Radio Control RESTORED.

***HERE IS THE ISSUE***

I go out side to test drive, freaking thing wont start for squat.

I primed it. Solved a fuel and exhaust leak, fixed the seal on the fuel tank, and still nothing. Finally I lean the LSN VERY VERY SLIGHTLY. (Roughly 5 degrees clockwise.) Nothing to the HSN NOR IDLE SET.
Starts. Runs! I start trying to tune it for proper mixture, (very slight adjustments while running on dry pavement) but the wretched thing will never act like my old Tmaxx nor my new Revo. It was very very sluggish.

Now as a result of tuning, stupid thing will not even start without several flooding issues. It spits fuel from the carb, etc. Once in a while it will start, but wont run for beans. Carb adjustments do little if anything. I have had the HSN OUT and APART. I cant see any problem there. I dont know how to remove the slide nor the LSN. We removed the hex plugs and see no build up nor jellying... We're at a loss. The thing makes what Id call decent suction and compression. Any thoughts?

I really need help patching this friendship up before he decides I bought him a junk TMaxx. Guys please help, and you'll be doing me a great favor.
still sounds like a airleak somewhere...while trying to start it..unplug the muffler side fule tubing...blow fule to the carb...bet it fires right up.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kaptain crash View Post
still sounds like a airleak somewhere...while trying to start it..unplug the muffler side fule tubing...blow fule to the carb...bet it fires right up.
Nah. this thing is spitting fuel out of the carburetor. Its almost as if it was tuned to run WITH the fuel and exhaust leaks, and now wont run with them fixed...
Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crnext View Post
Nah. this thing is spitting fuel out of the carburetor. Its almost as if it was tuned to run WITH the fuel and exhaust leaks, and now wont run with them fixed...
what fuel you trying to run ? what glowplugs ?

probably need to lean it out quite a bit by the sound of it.....
Old 03-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
what fuel you trying to run ? what glowplugs ?

probably need to lean it out quite a bit by the sound of it.....
OK.....
After several hours of deliberation, and isolating nearly all known issues we found:

1. The Carb was cracked where the HSN/fuel inlet attach. The carburetor was tuned very minutely to allow this thing to start and run but not make power.

2. After opting for a new 3.3 engine completely, we soon found it to act like the first one. Spitting fuel out of carburetor, and pouring from muffler. The problem ended up being a seized one way nut. This was found after I was allowed to clear a flooded engine and the engine wanted to lock. I tried turning by hand and saw the EZstart motor going both directions of turning. The one way was very difficult to remove from the start shaft.

Replaced, and drove the Tmaxx several laps for break in. Runs good! Thanks guys for your help!

Scott