Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Seeking opinions for Nitro Engine >

Seeking opinions for Nitro Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking opinions for Nitro Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Seeking opinions for Nitro Engine

guys and gals,

if you were given a 1/8 scale 4x4 buggy free, what would you choose for the engine? This things a little heavy so I want to overdo it in the powerplant department for pure fun factor. I have plenty of space and can fabricate pretty decent too.
Just want some ideas for which engine to use. This thing is a vintage Robbe Pantera aka Great Vigor/Hobby Lobby Hunter. built like a tank.

What would you use? Keep in mind, I'm gonna need an engine cradle or mount which ever you call it.

Thanks guys, and sorry the pic is huge.
Attached Thumbnails Seeking opinions for Nitro Engine-2012-02-27-08.55.15780766435.jpg  

Last edited by crnext; 02-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Your going to need a lot more than just a motor to get that one going. You are going to need motor/fuel tank/ radio tray/ servos/ radio/ receiver/ receiver pack.
But to answer your question a real powerhouse is a Novarossi Bonito.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Personally, I would not even ATTEMPT to run that car--at all. Today's engines produce way too much power for that thing. You would literally shred the drivetrain.

Vintage buggies like that one have decent resale. You could probably list it here and/or on eBay and make enough money to buy something modern and capable.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the motor opinion halfman. I have a 2.4 Team associated radio/receiver kit I bought off ebay. Servos are not an issue either. Basically I want a little more displacement in the engine category. Besides, if I shred the diffs, oh well. I built it to have fun, if it breaks, just make it stronger.... I have been known to manufacture certain aluminum parts in my day.

What is the displacement of that Bonito? Googling now.
what to use for a cradle?
Thanks ya'll

Scott
Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Forget the Bonito...

I think you probably want something more like a Losi 454, Dynamite Big Red .28, LRP Spec 3, etc..(all made in the same factory - the Losi and LRP are identical..) Cheap(as in 1/3 the price of a Bonito..), user-friendly, and powerful..
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Werks B5 or Alpha 852. Lots of power and relatively cheap.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Initiate

I found a new in box losi m26ss for 124.99 free shipping. Its a .26 and around the price tag I like. Is thenDynamite Big Red really $30 better? I always heard no replacement for displacement...

What do you guys think?

Scott
Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by crnext
I found a new in box losi m26ss for 124.99 free shipping. Its a .26 and around the price tag I like. Is thenDynamite Big Red really $30 better? I always heard no replacement for displacement...

What do you guys think?

Scott
Yes, the Big Red is better. But for your project, the brand of engine probably won't matter.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Yes, the Big Red is better. But for your project, the brand of engine probably won't matter.
why is that? It almost seems that everyone is down on these older buggies because theyre weak for some reason. I really dont plan to race it.... I just want to tear up the yard with it. I used to have so much fun chasing dogs in my neighborhood. They never came near my yard.... lol!

They hated that ol' Traxxas with the OFNA tire conversion...
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

there's quite a few motors out there that will keep a smile on your face till the diffs melt down...

lrp .28
o.s. .28
o.s. .25
o.s. .30
alpha a352
werks b5
GO gx5r
grp .28
axial .28ss

but if i were gonna build a MONSTER.....i'd be patient and try to find a TTR .70 with the flywheel/clutch assembly, out of an old EK4 monster truck....this motor was built for nothing but fun and tormenting the neighbors dogs
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
The LOSI and the Dynamite are made by the same company, SH Engines. So is the LRP .28. Check out this engine for $99.00 shipped.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TERRA NOVA
The LOSI and the Dynamite are made by the same company, SH Engines. So is the LRP .28. Check out this engine for $99.00 shipped.
Yep.. x2.

If you scour ebay.com you can find Losi 454's brand-new going for $120 and sometimes less. The 454 is identical to an LRP Spec 3, and very similar to the Big Red. I have two LST2's, one with the Big Red, one with a 454. Both are awesome, and performance-wise I can't tell much difference..(except that the BR maybe drinks a tiny bit less fuel..) If I had to buy another one, given equal prices, I might slightly lean towards the Big Red. Really like it..

All these SH engines btw run great with the stock Losi HT pipe. These are also widely and cheapy available on ebay(people selling them out of their RTR Losi buggies and truggies...)
Old 03-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Initiate

wow guys,

This forum is something like a REAL FORUM. You guys are offering just the kind of advice and discussion I was looking for. i think I may have decided on the LOSI Aftershock. Anyone care to offer opinion on this one? Also, does anyone know how to go about sourcing a "universal" like motor mount?

thanks a heap guys,

Scott
Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm in the middle of a brushless conversion, so I've got an Axial .32 BB for sale with less than a gallon on it. Tons of power if that's what you're looking for. PM me if interested. I'll even toss in some motor mounts, clutch bells, springs, shoes, etc... I'm getting out of nitro.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

FWIW: Im still seeking opinions , but considering other options.

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
PM me if interested. I'll even toss in some motor mounts, clutch bells, springs, shoes, etc... I'm getting out of nitro.
I sent you a PM, Dadic78. Hit me back.
Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.