Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for Winter Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Tips for Winter Tuning

Anyone got tips for nitro engine tuning during winter months? I'm looking to do some winter time bashing, but don't want to burn up my engine.

Should I just follow smoke out of pipe rules, etc... and throw out temperature? Usually watch for smoke and performance, then temp it when i'm happy with performance to make sure i'm not too hot.

I've followed my usual tuning rules, but am finding it difficult to get the performance I'm looking for. Leaned it out some versus my usual settings, but don't want to get too crazy.

Suggestions? Maybe wrap something around the head to hold temp better?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

wrap the head in aluminum foil to get the engine to run temp and it will take a richer setting in the winter due to the thin air, so make sure it has plenty of smoke.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Some cooling heads have opening in them that are facing the front and rear of the car. This is for added cooling. If you're engine has a cooling head like this, you can flip it 90° so the air can't flow that good thru the fins anymore.

Last winter when we still had a winter cup, everyone was driving their engines without alu foil or whatever.
Just tune it like you normally would.