reedy 121 or lrp zz

Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (90%+)
Default reedy 121 or lrp zz

hey guys i am looking to buy a engine for my rc8 and i am torn between the reedy 121 and the lrp zz. is the lrp worth the money or should i just get the reedy?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by milan07 View Post
hey guys i am looking to buy a engine for my rc8 and i am torn between the reedy 121 and the lrp zz. is the lrp worth the money or should i just get the reedy?
Do your self a favor and get the LRP. Stay away from the Reedy. The LRP is a OS Speed and is one of the best engines ever made. The Reedy is made in Taiwan by Thunder Tiger a pain to Break-In, and once you do get it running ok it flames out. Every once and awhile you get a good Reedy but you got to get lucky. Trust me its worth the Money, just ask Ryan Maifield!!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

The Reedy is a great engine, period. Break in is extremely easy and all around power with a 2035 pipe, better than any O.S. engine I've ever owned. Makes good power, idles forever and the mileage is great. Reedy service is also awesome as well, when I returned my engine they replaced all the damaged parts and sent it back in less than 2 weeks back here to me in Canada. I've put 4 plus gallons on the ones in my buggy and truggy and about 1 gallon on my backup Reedy. And didn't Maifield put an O.S. speed crank in his Reedy?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

A lot of team racers use the Reedy engine.

I have one and I love it, never flamed out, runs strong tank after tank and easy to tune.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

ANother vote for the Reedy, just broke in my second one... EASY DAY.... Motor makes good power for buggy and is smooth. Unless you run on Gigantic tracks or your name is Maifield, Any varient of the O.S speed can easily overpower a buggy making it harder to drive. The Reedy is extra smooth and $220 to boot. Couple with 2035 pipe and let er eat.

New version Reedy's are alot better than when they first came out 2-3 years ago.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

My personal experience it has a weak bottom and inconsistent. Os for sure better overall mill but you pick and try and decide some will say yes some will say no just as this thread states. From my experience OS is consistent and strong their carb is the best in the industry as so NOVA. VEry easy to tune there isnt one Reedy engine at my track for a reason
Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Smooth bottom is different than weak bottom. I have no problem clearing jumps right out of the corners. Reedy is very driveable motor...
Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have both of these engines. Both are equally good. The only reason why I'm siding on the LRP is because of the carb system in the reedy engine. I drive an xray and a losi, before this the mugen. These 2 cars (xray and losi) requires the carb to be slightly angled and this is where the reedy is a bit of a troublesome. Because the reedy has a fix carb system. But it ran well in the mugen. Since you are gonna put it on the RC8, no problem there.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Mine has never been inconsistant and the bottom end is smooth and tractable, clearing jumps is also no problem for any of my Reedy's. Idles like a champ, holds it tune but like any engine it has to be adjusted for weather or temperature change and none of mine have ever flamed out on me even after running them hard for a couple hours on end.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I know a lot of guys running the Reedy and none of them have issues with it. The 1st release had some problems, but the new ones seems to be awesome.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (90%+)

wow thanks guys for all your help