Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
why nitro big block differences? >

why nitro big block differences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why nitro big block differences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default why nitro big block differences?

Ok so i searched alot and didnt come up with what i was looking for.

I am still waiting for my tmaxx to show up.. but have been searching the engine, shocks, etc just to get re-aquainted again as i have been out for a while...

so what i dont get is...

that some engines have more HP than others but cost less
is it based off of name/preference or is there an actual difference?
example is the big red .28 in the maxx im getting... 3.4hp claimed by manufacturer.... i remember i had an ofna .21 and it was fast.. cant imagine this .28

is there ever a reason to buy say an OS .21 if my .28 dies? what would i get out of it???
Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Prices, power and performance are all directly based on the quality of the engine. Pay no attention to the "claimed horsepower" as most times it's just marketing BS and not an actual number. Bigger block does not mean more power or more speed. It's all relative to the design of the engine and the tolerances, port designs, crank work, compression rate, etc, etc. Usually the cheaper the engine the faster it will wear out and start giving you problems. Case in point is the Traxxas 3.3 engine. It's one of the fastest engines you can put in any of the Traxxas vehicles but it is only a .15 and it's cheap and won't last long.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Price is brand name or quality. Dynamite (big red) is a company that does user friendly prices. For a MT there perfect or even the xpe euro platinum i ran for racing and have owned 5 of there engines, all GREAT running top level consistancy and power. So it really comes down to name on pricing and quality at times. A .28 is stronger then a .21 but not a huge diffrence. The .28 will drink gas faster. By now alot of places don't even make .28's because there not popular, racers don't use them and MT isn't real popular. But there is some places like Dynamite that make a user friendly .28 and lrp. Everyone uses OS as the engine to get, there just a name. For a MT os is a waiste, look at a werks B5 and put it in a mt and watch ot rip, i bet u will pull more rpm.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Case in point is the Traxxas 3.3 engine. It's one of the fastest engines you can put in any of the Traxxas vehicles but it is only a .15 and it's cheap and won't last long.
Jaz, the Traxxas 3.3 is a .20 ci mill, not .15.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ya the Hp on the specs is not an acurate number. There is no universal measurement system for manufacturers to use.

That dynamite .28 is fine for MT, but the thing with .28's some do have more torque than .21's but some have less than a good .21 . Almost all .21's will have more RPM than a .28 so really a good .21 has all the bases covered.

The Argus has a Ton of bottom end for a MT but will give more top end and runtime. And they last a very long time

Lance
RcRenew.com