Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
improve fuel milliage of os xz-b max >

improve fuel milliage of os xz-b max

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

improve fuel milliage of os xz-b max

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Do you have a throttle return spring? Sometime, the throttle linkage binds and makes the carb not closed fully.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sylvain
Do you have a throttle return spring? Sometime, the throttle linkage binds and makes the carb not closed fully.

yes of course I have, I will recheck the correct operation of the linkages...

Hence you do not think that the 9901 exchast cause this issues!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I have always found that I could get better run times with
my nitro engines by running a colder glowplug. I'm just
wondering why most everyone is running the ultra hot
P3 plugs in these engines ? Especialy a few of you guys,
that I know have been running and tuning nitro engines
for quite a while now.
Don't get me wrong, I know there are times when the
weather conditions require a hotter glowplug to get a
nitro engine dialed in properly.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

What will be the gain in time if i use a p4 plug ?

Which is the rule of thumb on summer time you run p4 and on winter time
you run P3 plugs?

What will be the difference in changing plugs ?

The LSN and HSN needles need to be leaned when I change to P4 plug ?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rageworks
I have always found that I could get better run times with
my nitro engines by running a colder glowplug. I'm just
wondering why most everyone is running the ultra hot
P3 plugs in these engines ? Especialy a few of you guys,
that I know have been running and tuning nitro engines
for quite a while now.
Don't get me wrong, I know there are times when the
weather conditions require a hotter glowplug to get a
nitro engine dialed in properly.
+1, a colder plug will allow/require a leaner setting = more run time and usually more power.

a hot plug however will give a better idle, better pick up (low end responce) and a bigger tuning window. These are the things most people are looking for in a glowplug (offroad - also colder or humid weather will require a hotter plug).
Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ambros303
+1, a colder plug will allow/require a leaner setting = more run time and usually more power.

a hot plug however will give a better idle, better pick up (low end responce) and a bigger tuning window. These are the things most people are looking for in a glowplug (offroad - also colder or humid weather will require a hotter plug).
This week I will install the os 2060 pipe, i hope i will get the performance i need...

Probably i will need to retune the engine right ?

My current settings are HSN 2 + 3/12
LSN 5,5 turns

What do you recone, I should lean or richen the engine ?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

I just got back from the Mugen Nitrocross race in Germany.
I couldend drive myself so i went out there to help out fellow OS drivers with tunning and pitting.
The 5 guys there from Holland and Belgium i helped ran the OS XZ-B speed with the 2060 pipe, one guy ran the Losi RE11.
The fuel used was Merlin, Tornado and Meccamo, all the engines in buggy went between 8:00 and 8:30 for pitstops in the finals, lap times were around 38-40 seconds, speed was also quit equal allthough different brands off fuel were used.
The needle settings for all the engine were around 2 turns on the highspeed and 5-5.5 turns on the lowspeed needle from close.
The one guy that ran truggy went 10 minutes with ease.
This was een european high speed track, for reference all aother brands went in for fuel between 7 and 8 minutes this was in pro buggyclass so no poor tuned engines.
Finals were 60 minutes, no flame outs from the engine one guy hat clutch gone bad and one guy made a major crash witch stalled the engine, afther restart no problems at all.

Results were, 2e place truggyclass, 3e place hobbyclass, 6th place expert class afther one flame out du to the crash.
Race winner was Michael Pallson from Sweden also running the speed XZ-B, pitting at a whopping 9- 9:30 in the expert final.

So yes, i do think that or the 9901 pipe kills fuel mileage on your XZ-B or youre tune is way out off whack.
Get a 2060 on there and you should see similair fuel mileage to what we are getting.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for the answer, that was very helpful....
As I can see my settings are not way out....

Next weekend I will try the 2060 pipe!!

Do you install fuel filters or pipe cooler in order to achieve better fuel economy ?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Do you install fuel filters or pipe cooler in order to achieve better fuel economy ?

They're not necessary IMO. Try an 8mm restrictor, P3 plug with the 2060 and you should have no problem getting 10+ min.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

10+ minutes realy depends on the track layout and the speed and trothle control off the driver, how many times do you realy see the top guns in RC pit at 10 minutes, over here in europe we dont see that.
On our tracks and you can pit in the finals between 8-9 minutes in a buggy, you have a very fuel efficiant engine and the OS XZ-B is on that small list off engines i see doing that.

I run a mugen MBX6 and MBX6T and only use the stock fuel filter and no extra long fuel line 30 cm is all, pressure line from tank to the exhaust is around 20 cm.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paulus
10+ minutes realy depends on the track layout and the speed and trothle control off the driver, how many times do you realy see the top guns in RC pit at 10 minutes, over here in europe we dont see that.
On our tracks and you can pit in the finals between 8-9 minutes in a buggy, you have a very fuel efficiant engine and the OS XZ-B is on that small list off engines i see doing that.

I run a mugen MBX6 and MBX6T and only use the stock fuel filter and no extra long fuel line 30 cm is all, pressure line from tank to the exhaust is around 20 cm.
Guys I just tried the 2060 pipe and I got 8:30 min!!!
You were absolutely right!!!

It is a different engine that i drive now!!!

That was fantastic I could not believed it!!!
I gain 1 minute of run time easily!!!

Also the tune of the engine is overall much better.
The low end performance is great now, I do not know if i need to richen the LSN. As far as the temp of the engine after 2 tanks was 230 degree with ambient temp 77.

At the end of the practise I let the engine idle for 5 minutes with very few blips on the throttle and the temp was 205, is this normal?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

If I change the fuel that I use, same brand same oil content but instead of 25% nitro 30% shall I run in again the engine?

What will be the pros and cons of that change?

Last edited by mike80; 06-15-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mike80
If I change the fuel that I use, same brand same oil content but instead of 25% nitro 30% shall I running again the engine?

What will be the pros and cons of that change?

I mean broke in the engine again from the begining?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You don't need to do that. Just re-tune.

Pros would be a bit more power and more stable idle.

Cons, less fuel mileage due to requiring a richer tune.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (96%+)

Originally Posted by mike80
At the end of the practise I let the engine idle for 5 minutes with very few blips on the throttle and the temp was 205, is this normal?
Yes this is very normal and a good sign your tune is correct. All the time you engine is idling it should be cooling (down to a certain point), otherwise if your engine doesn't cool at idle on and off throttle action will push temps higher and higher. If it's cooling like you describe it's near perfect on the LSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.