Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
How to kill a brand new motor the first day out..... >

How to kill a brand new motor the first day out.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to kill a brand new motor the first day out.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs up How to kill a brand new motor the first day out.....

Run it for 5 hours through red clay dust. Let me tell you it does a TREAT!

Just found out tonight that I ruined my brand new Losi 3.4 on my Ten-T from Saturday's bash due to red clay buildup. I went to wash the filters tonight and noticed a thick build up of clay inside the intake pipe, so I took it off and then noticed the thick buildup continuing all the way in to my carb. Upon hand rotation of the flywheel you can feel the grit, and the pinch is almost completely gone. I stripped the whole motor, washed it all out with break parts cleaner and then showered it all with penetrating lube. I can't even get her to fire now, sonnnn of a.

Oh well, this gives me a good excuse to buy another Ten-T and use this one for spare parts. Always look at the bright side of things right???

On another note, isn't the air filter supposed to stop that much debris from entering the engine, and shouldn't I notice a performance hit once it's clogged to the point that its dumping garbage in the motor?

Ehhh, oh well. Lesson learned, I won't be running in that part of the pit anymore without changing my filter after every tank. hahaha.

Needless to say we still have a great day!!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Edit: You can see in the video our hill climbing spot in the back that's pure loose red clay that's super fine and very easy to kick up in to a dust cloud. (Same spot as in the very end of the video).

Last edited by 10 Gauge; 03-08-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 10 Gauge
Run it for 5 hours through red clay dust. Let me tell you it does a TREAT!

Just found out tonight that I ruined my brand new Losi 3.4 on my Ten-T from Saturday's bash due to red clay buildup. I went to wash the filters tonight and noticed a thick build up of clay inside the intake pipe, so I took it off and then noticed the thick buildup continuing all the way in to my carb. Upon hand rotation of the flywheel you can feel the grit, and the pinch is almost completely gone. I stripped the whole motor, washed it all out with break parts cleaner and then showered it all with penetrating lube. I can't even get her to fire now, sonnnn of a.

Oh well, this gives me a good excuse to buy another Ten-T and use this one for spare parts. Always look at the bright side of things right???

On another note, isn't the air filter supposed to stop that much debris from entering the engine, and shouldn't I notice a performance hit once it's clogged to the point that its dumping garbage in the motor?

Ehhh, oh well. Lesson learned, I won't be running in that part of the pit anymore!

Video of the fun we had can be seen on YouTube under "RC Air Jamz" by user FragTek.
Was your air filter oiled? If not that's why you sucked dust into your engine.. And it is the first thing that needs done, that manufacturers don't put in the instructions..
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah the Ten-T comes with a pre-oiled filter but above that I actually took their foam out and put in one of my own oiled foams. I'm still rather surprised at the sheer amount of debris that got through....
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 10 Gauge
Yeah the Ten-T comes with a pre-oiled filter but above that I actually took their foam out and put in one of my own oiled foams. I'm still rather surprised at the sheer amount of debris that got through....
Perhaps your foams were the reason
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

If it is that dusty out it might be a good idea to change filters every four or five tanks.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by seanyboyrulz
Perhaps your foams were the reason
Negative.

Needless to say we had a good time this weekend and it's only given me a good reason to get another truck for parts opposed to a boatload of extra bagged parts.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default use a solid filter and als

Use a good brand filter. Also be sure to use either assoiated oil or belray filter oil from dirt bike store.
Additionally, if it is a loose fitting housing, be sure to grease the ends of the filter foam to provide additional stopping
Old 03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Don't feel bad.... ingesting dirt is the number one killer of these engines.... You have no idea how many engines I get thru my shop that have all the telltale signs of sucking dirt....Scoring along the crank barrel being the number 1 clue...I don't think many people really understand how often dirt gets thru those foam filters....If you run in a fine sandy/dusty environment you are almost guaranteed a shorter engine life no matter how well your filters are maintained....
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It can creep into the motor when the filter is not properly seated on the filter assembly. Others cause by throttle/brake rods rubbing on the filter foams. These are just a few scenerios that can cause the dirt getting in the engine without people know until it is too late.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It's funny when I started in this hobby awoke back with Traxxas RTR stuff the thing that stuck in my mind the most was traxxas's warning that you must either clean or change your air filter every hour of runtime. To this day I still abide by that warning.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

Well I ended up getting her running again but she won't stay running at low RPM's, gotta keep the hammer on the throttle, haha.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I change out my air filter outer covers about every 15- 30 Minutes or maybe as long as a 45 min main Maintenance is important for your engine and it's health! 5 filters and 10 outer covers is a good investment
Old 03-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

running 5hrs without a filter change
Old 03-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A good way to kill a new motor the first day out: listening to that "know-it-all" friend who thinks he has nitro figured out. You do everything he says because you don't know and figured he does because he has been running nitro longer. He tells you to lean it out and run it hard right out the box because he does it that way.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
A good way to kill a new motor the first day out: listening to that "know-it-all" friend who thinks he has nitro figured out. You do everything he says because you don't know and figured he does because he has been running nitro longer. He tells you to lean it out and run it hard right out the box because he does it that way.
Just reading through this thread, and was wondering. Who said anything about a friend? What are you even talking about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.