Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Which motor mod guy to trust?(Not specific) >

Which motor mod guy to trust?(Not specific)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which motor mod guy to trust?(Not specific)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragracechief
A lot of good info here, one thing I will say don't pay too much attention to dyno numbers unless you are always on the same dyno. I am active in full sized racing and can tell you that the same engine on two different dynos will give you different numbers. If your engines are always on the same dyno and know how that relates to on track performance you are ahead of the game, trying to compare numbers from different dynos will only lead to confusion.
Excellent point. Recently the engine modder i use now has a heavier wheel on his dyno and it really jives with the characteristics of that engine on the track. Great tool. The actual numbers mean squat, but the graphs when compared to before and after and engine to engine are priceless on this dyno. Plus the guy with the dyno actually has integrity.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Good read so far and not much has been missed,

Some things I would do is, first decide if I need or want a modded motor. Second, am I at a point where I could make the most use of a modded motor. Third, will the tracks I run at take the added power of a modded motor. Remember that slower is faster, having a modded motor may not equal to faster laps. From there, look at the faster racers and see what (if any) modded motor they are running and see if you could take a lap or two to feel it for yourself. Some racers like a power band that is like a light switch while others want a buttery smooth band. Driving style and track surface can dictate what is best to use. After that ask the racers with modded motors how their motors run for them. Such as, ease of tuning from day to day, average life they have got from their motors (if they have been using the same motors and modder for some time), length of run time they get, type of power band the motor has, and things like that. That should help with making a decision when the time comes.

I have heard racers say that too much motor is always enough and not enough motor is always not enough. I find that only to be partly correct. Too little motor is always too little, but having too much motor can also be just that. Too much. You can only detune a motor so far before you end up with a motor that just doesn't want to play nice. That is how I see it, and if my logic is flawed I am sure I will be corrected.

From there on it's pretty much just as many of the posts have said. Ask questions to perspective modders of what they can do for your needs in a modded motor. Customer service is also very important to consider as well. Will the modder you are considering stand behind their work should there be an issue. In this day and age, companies really can't afford bad customer service, but we all know that it happens. Im sure there are many more things that are a part of choosing a modder, but I think most has been covered.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wanted to thank everybody for the post's in this thread. Very good information has been given and I will be able to make a better choice now. I am sure now it will depend on make of mill I choose and I will go from there. Thanks again everybody!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

EB Mods!! Great customer service and nice to deal with!!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RandyJones
EB Mods!! Great customer service and nice to deal with!!
Name dropping frowned upon