problem starting firestorm

Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default problem starting firestorm

Been having problems starting my truck. I got it running but only when i was pulling down on the trigger on the remote half way. As soon as i released, the truck died. Then messed around with the servo throttle arm thinking it had something to do with that. Again it worked but, it would die as soon as i lowered the speed. Any idea what could be wrong?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I am new to this, so maybe you have already done this but have you checked the engine to make sure your idle is set properly?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Im not sure how to do that. Is the idle screw you mess with? If so, which way do i turn it?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

First, pull the air filter off and look into the carb hole and see if you have an opening of about 1mm (the thickness of a credit card). If not then you would turn the idle needle clockwise to open it and counter to close it down some.

Again, I am new and this may not be your problem - but it seems you aren't getting any air into the engine unless you pull the trigger.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay just checked it out and it seems too open. Havent messed with it at all. Should i close it up a bit?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Read this... I found it good (although I am still tuning myself )

http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832

It explains all the needles and gives you a flow chart to follow. It could help if engine setup is your problem.

Has it ever run?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Okay got it running, went through a tank pretty fast. Dont know if i should go ahead and put more gas in it. Just seemed pretty quick. Also, right before it ran out of gas it sped up to what seemed like full throttle. Is that normal?
Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 AM
Tech Master

Yes, when you are running out of gas you are getting more air into the mixture with leans it out so you get the engine racing.