Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 454 engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Losi 454 engine

There are a lot of 8t 2.0 RTRs out there, and I wanted to start a thread for the 454 .28 engine. Just to share tips, tricks, advice, and experiences about the 454.

Ill start with a question-Does anyone know of a shorter carb arm that will fit on the 454?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Engine performed great this Sunday. I was able to get over 10mins on 1 tank!
I know this is not the norm but I run on a very small track, so I can get better mileage.

A lot of people say the turbo head does not make a big difference on this engine but I noticed a much more explosive engine through out the power band. Right now, I am also running the re-11 pipe and it is working out pretty good however I do think it restricts the top some.

Here is a vid of it running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie8v242zc2Y
Old 11-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sein
There are a lot of 8t 2.0 RTRs out there, and I wanted to start a thread for the 454 .28 engine. Just to share tips, tricks, advice, and experiences about the 454.

Ill start with a question-Does anyone know of a shorter carb arm that will fit on the 454?
why a shorter carb link?

Well my sons 454 throw a peice of the rear brearing taking out the p/s. We had 4 gallons on it and the motor was still running awesome. My bad for not changing it sooner. I am sure it still had a ton of life in it. I could never get 10min out of it even with a sportworks carb with a 7.5mm insert. I think the best we ever got was 9min. The motor makes huge power and is one of the fastest motors I had but at the same time was hard to drive smooth (for my son to drive smooth)

For a rtr it is a outstanding motor and I will grab another one soon to have as a practice/bash motor. We ran ours with the turbo head/sportworks carb and a orion 2013 pipe running 14/50 gear ratio.

sein I also tried the re11 for a bit and it felt good but rob the motor of low,mid and high end. try a re10 or a 2013 it will really wake that motor up.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Engine performed great this Sunday. I was able to get over 10mins on 1 tank!
I know this is not the norm but I run on a very small track, so I can get better mileage.

A lot of people say the turbo head does not make a big difference on this engine but I noticed a much more explosive engine through out the power band. Right now, I am also running the re-11 pipe and it is working out pretty good however I do think it restricts the top some.

Here is a vid of it running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie8v242zc2Y
10 minutes is pretty good, there is a few at our local track, its a large track about 820 foot run line, guys with the 454 get about 6min if there lucky maybe 7min per tank
Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8
why a shorter carb link?

Well my sons 454 throw a peice of the rear brearing taking out the p/s. We had 4 gallons on it and the motor was still running awesome. My bad for not changing it sooner. I am sure it still had a ton of life in it. I could never get 10min out of it even with a sportworks carb with a 7.5mm insert. I think the best we ever got was 9min. The motor makes huge power and is one of the fastest motors I had but at the same time was hard to drive smooth (for my son to drive smooth)

For a rtr it is a outstanding motor and I will grab another one soon to have as a practice/bash motor. We ran ours with the turbo head/sportworks carb and a orion 2013 pipe running 14/50 gear ratio.

sein I also tried the re11 for a bit and it felt good but rob the motor of low,mid and high end. try a re10 or a 2013 it will really wake that motor up.
The reason I wanted the arm was so it would make a better angle for the servo to pull. The arm on this carb is a little long compared to others.

I have a re-10 I will try soon; but I have a race coming up next Sunday, so I will keep setup the same until after.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by inferno13
10 minutes is pretty good, there is a few at our local track, its a large track about 820 foot run line, guys with the 454 get about 6min if there lucky maybe 7min per tank
Before I switched to the turbo head and re-11 I would get about 9mins till it ran out of fuel. Right now, I can pit at 10:30 without even thinking about it.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Before I switched to the turbo head and re-11 I would get about 9mins till it ran out of fuel. Right now, I can pit at 10:30 without even thinking about it.
9 minutes still pretty good for a 454
Old 11-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

If one of you guys are intrested in the sportworks carb let me know, you can have it for free just pay the shipping.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sluggo_sx8
If one of you guys are intrested in the sportworks carb let me know, you can have it for free just pay the shipping.
I am at about 4.5 gallons on this motor and the stock carb is running so good I don't even want to mess with it. But thanks. If you still have it when I order my second 454 I'll take it.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

no prob, if anyone else wants it please just pm and and it is yours. It is a exact copy of the losi carb (i even used all the needles from the losi carb) but takes inserts, I have a 7.5mm in it now.

The stock 454 carb has a 9.5mm bore which is huge and part of the reason they are so bad on fuel.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm almost ready to give-up on Losi engines but will give it one more try. Bought a Losi350 brand new for my 8T and it threw a rear bearing ball which destroyed piston and sleeve (about 3/4 through break-in). Put my older R21 in it and it runs fine.
Bought a brand new Losi454 for my 8T and cannot get it tuned. I've tried everything. Warm engine up before starting it - no change. Running for 1-2 minutes between each tiniest adjustment - no change. The thing would rich to a point where it wouldn't even launch and then 2-3 min into sputtering around it would lean up to a point where it would idle in that high-pitch bouncing idle. Went back to factory settings and started all over - but no luck.

Tried to remove the carb to put another carb in it and it was stuck/seized to a point where i had to heat up the case to get it moving. After endless struggles i got it out but the shaft broke in two pieces, meaning the upper o-ring came out with the carb but the lower o-ring remained in the engine together with a piece of the shaft.
Got it all out now.

So, one last chance for the 454 before i order a Triton from Lance: what carb should i put in? I measured 14mm shaft diameter on the original carb. Had some novarossi carbs flying around but they are larger in diameter and won't fit into the 454 crank case.
I'm not a racer and don't need max power. I just want the thing to run OK, just like my other nitros that i got tuned in just fine. Don't care about run-time or anything.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I dont recall what carbs swap; likely any SH mfg.

Your Triton option will likely make you the happiest long term