Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread >

Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread

Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread

I was given permission from the guys at TQ to start a thread just for the new 501T engine. I was also given permission to post pictures of the internals in stock form and a few of the post modification.

For a little background on the engine. The engine is basically the older GRP .21 tuned that was reinstated by TQ Racing with the assistance of Rody Roem who was the man in charge of the older RB Concept engines in the 1004- 1005 series days which were some of the best engines of that time. Those engine were consisted of the C5, C6, C6BB, S5, S7, S7II, S7 Worlds, S7WIII etc. They were all outstanding engines and we can expect nothing short of excellance when it comes to the new TQ engines.

I was known for awhile as one of the sole concentrators of GRP modified engine performance and I get to carry on that tradition with the new TQ 501-T and and any other engine they produce in the future.

The TQ 501-T .21 high performance engine is designed and built in Italy and has high quality features such as a hardend steel crank, high quality ABC sleeve, lightweight CNC billit aluminum piston, knife edged aluminum rod with additional strengthening over previous design, a light weight, low center of gravity 60mm cross drilled 9 fin head for improved cooling and weight placement in the chassis, new carb design with new slide and needle designs for what is said to be for easier tunability and better fuel mileage but also maintains the throat sleeve to act as a heat barrier to keep the carb temps down which helps the tune stay more consistant and predictable. There are more features on this engine that make it a high quality, long lasting high performance engine for the money but I just wanted to touch base on the most important and most notable ones. The specs are as follows:

Type: Offroad

Displacement: .21ci (3.5cc)

Bore: 16.26mm

Stroke: 16.80mm

Rear Bearing Size: 14x25.4x6mm

Front Bearing Size: 7x19x6mm

Port Count: 5 intake, 1 Exhaust

Plug Style: Conical H6 Turbo (included)

Carb Type: Aluminum Casted/Slide with 7mm venturi

Head: 60mm 9 fin cross drilled

Crank Style: 14mm SG/SPT

Head Bolts: 3mm allen drive

Backplate bolts: 2mm allen drive

This thread is being setup to inform those who are looking into the purchase of this engine and also to inform people of the different setups, tuning and any other information that is felt needed to have the most successful and longest lasting engine possible.

I am a TQ engine dealer so anyone interested in purchasing and engine can get one directly from me whether in stock or modified trim. Thanks for your support and contributions to this thread.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Here are pictures of the stock internals of this new engine.
Attached Thumbnails Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-cheek-crank-stock.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-intake-crank-stock.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-sleeve-ex-stock.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-sleeve-tran-stock.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-sleeve-boost-stock.jpg  

Old 07-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Here are a few shots of the modified versions of those parts
Attached Thumbnails Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-intake-crank-mod.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-intake-crank-mod-silicone.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-cheek-crank-mod.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-sleeve-tran-mod.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-sleeve-boost-mod.jpg  

Old 07-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Here are some shots of the rest of the engine in no particular order
Attached Thumbnails Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-backplate.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-case-rear-stock.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-carb-front-insert.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-carb-rear.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-carb-needles.jpg  

Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

more shots of stock componants
Attached Thumbnails Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-carb-slide-boot-vert.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-carb-top.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-carb-slide-boot.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Shots of the head
Attached Thumbnails Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-head-top.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-head-side.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-head-bottom.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-head-button.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Some shots of the piston and pipe
Attached Thumbnails Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-piston-rod-exhaust.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-piston-rod-intake.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-piston-case-top.jpg   Official TQ 501T .21 Engine Thread-tq-pipe.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is the new TQ motor the sport motor or the tuned motor?? I ran GRP for a few races and dont remember the tuned looking like this. is this the sport motor as the tuned motor had more work done to the sleeve and a filled crank.www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NDMoXnbTvg your mod motor looks nice!!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

It is tuned crank minus the silicone. I talked with the factory and they believe the silicone doesn't add anymore power or performance but from my own research, I have found the filled crank will assist with crank velocity and flow which assists the engine in low end response and in theory should help with fuel mileage as well. The sleeve closely resembles both the sport and tuned version. Both engines in the day had the same timing specs, size, shape, port count etc. The only main difference is the sleeve on the TQ doesn't have the tear drop cut on the bottom of the transfer which would put it closer to design of the old sport engine. I have switched the two sleeves between the same engine before and it was very difficult to tell the difference. The tear drop cut can make a difference but it needs to have the right entrance angle, size, shape and length to make it work properly. I do what is called backporting the window and what that does is changes not only the angle of entry but also the velocity of the charge to act as an invisable barrier to keep the incoming charge from short circuiting with the outgoing charge. It basically changes the loop scavaging effect by pushing the loop rearward in the cylinder.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I still have very little time on my powerhouse tq motor due to other obligations and such however the one race i did run with it i really liked the feel. I was unable to get a good amount of time on it at the race due to mother nature being relentless with the rain so i got practice, one qualifier and a main on it. The motor was run rich all weekend because its no where near being fully broken in yet. The motor pulls hard however its a smooth controllable power, and even with it being run pretty rich it had more than enough power. The run times were around 9 minutes, but again its far from being broke in as it has maybe a half gallon on it. So far its somewhat comparable to the powerhouse GRP's of the past but with more torque and what appears to be better fuel mileage. I'm going to run it this week at practice as well as this coming weekend so i will have more accurate feedback. I will add this though, tuning has been a breeze so far.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have the engine stock out of the box, about 9-10 min of run time at 220 temp. I think the best thing with this engine is how smooth the bottom and mid range is. Feels almost like an electric.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone know the factory needle settings?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (98%+)
Default t q .21 rod

Does any 1 no where I can get a connecting rod 4 the TQ 5 port motor
Or is there a rod that fits
Old 11-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gmoneyn21 View Post
Does any 1 no where I can get a connecting rod 4 the TQ 5 port motor
Or is there a rod that fits
try http://www.dipinoengines.com/ he bought alot of the tecnopower engine parts. Made by the same folks that made the TQ engine.