Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree47Likes

ALPHA OFF ROAD ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Twister
Remove the hsn housing and take the two washer and scuff them on real fine sand paper, just enough to give them a dull finish, this will actully give them a better seal.
i reckon it could be playing an effect on the lean issue too but i will take it off and seal it too. better to be safer then sorry
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THATnewguy
i reckon it could be playing an effect on the lean issue too but i will take it off and seal it too. better to be safer then sorry
+1 if you need help with anything or have any other concerns or questions feel free to call me.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Suspended

+1 if you need help with anything or have any other concerns or questions feel free to call me.
cheers for the help. any idea where the ideal starting point(close to a perfect tune) for the LSN is(how many turns out?) not bang on because i understand that every engine is differnt but mybe 2 hours out from yours?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by THATnewguy
cheers for the help. any idea where the ideal starting point(close to a perfect tune) for the LSN is(how many turns out?) not bang on because i understand that every engine is differnt but mybe 2 hours out from yours?
What Lsn are you using, long sharp, or short end?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default tune

I run the Alpha F850 in my 1/8 LM. Let me tell you, that thing has some POWER! The problem i am having is that it goes from too lean to fuel spitting pig. I run 30% nitro with two shims in the cooling head, ODonell 97T plug on the A plus 0801 pipe. I have about a gallon and a half on it. The temperature around here has been 80 average. Does anyone have a needle setting suggestion for me to try? I like the idea of lean bottom/rich top. My motor feels good but I am new to precise engine tuning. I don't think I have tapped the potential of this motor at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Where do you run the exhaust on the LM, we ran ours through the bottom of the chassis and if the pipe got hit, it would move over and turn rich very fast from the exhaust not being able to escape. If your rich at wot turn the hsn in to flush or just below on an oval motor. Get the idle set good on the box, after the motor is good nd warm, when on the track it should almost ringting on entry and to the center bit not be a high idle.The 97t may be to cool for that head clearance, you could try a P4, I tend to stick with cooler plugs on the oval motors as well.

Hsn 1 1/2 to 2 turns in from flush
Lsn 4 1/2 turns in from flush... This is with the thicker end housing.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Where do you run the exhaust on the LM, we ran ours through the bottom of the chassis and if the pipe got hit, it would move over and turn rich very fast from the exhaust not being able to escape. If your rich at wot turn the hsn in to flush or just below on an oval motor. Get the idle set good on the box, after the motor is good nd warm, when on the track it should almost ringting on entry and to the center bit not be a high idle.The 97t may be to cool for that head clearance, you could try a P4, I tend to stick with cooler plugs on the oval motors as well.

Hsn 1 1/2 to 2 turns in from flush
Lsn 4 1/2 turns in from flush... This is with the thicker end housing.
Should I take the shim out? I have heard that you need the shim in order to run 30%. Also, I am not sure what you mean about the thicker end housing. Like I said, Im kinda new and not hip to all the terminology. I run my exhaust out the side just like a buggy. Its got plenty of breathing room. And what is considered good idle? Just enough to stay running?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeauxkor
Should I take the shim out? I have heard that you need the shim in order to run 30%. Also, I am not sure what you mean about the thicker end housing. Like I said, Im kinda new and not hip to all the terminology. I run my exhaust out the side just like a buggy. Its got plenty of breathing room. And what is considered good idle? Just enough to stay running?
The Alphas are shimmed to run 30% from the factory so you shouldn't need it, but it all depends on weather and such as well. I have yet to install the extra shim that was in the box on any of my Alphas and all I run is 30% here in NC.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MotoGod
The Alphas are shimmed to run 30% from the factory so you shouldn't need it, but it all depends on weather and such as well. I have yet to install the extra shim that was in the box on any of my Alphas and all I run is 30% here in NC.
Well I live in the humid south. The air here gets real dense. So......?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Suspended

What Lsn are you using, long sharp, or short end?
long needle.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeauxkor
Well I live in the humid south. The air here gets real dense. So......?
I'm not too too far from you. I would just run the single shim unless you have issues with it. I mean either way works really you are just lowering compression a bit by adding the extra shim. If it's working for you....then who cares what we say though ;-)
Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

22 to 24 thousandths on 30 works all day, just measure your shim stack and piston at tdc to get you squish.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (98%+)
Default "O" rings

does anyone know the measurements on all the o rings in the alpha carbs? i.e
high speed orings low speed orings and the lower carb seal block oring.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by toepush
does anyone know the measurements on all the o rings in the alpha carbs? i.e
high speed orings low speed orings and the lower carb seal block oring.
You get the carb?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)
Default Wolcott

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
Hi...
I thought I would be able to get away but it's my girls bday today
And I'm forced to do the family thing tomorrow, but I'm full blown every
Weekend starting next Sunday at hobby headquarters. I should be at next wolcott race and will grab that carb from you. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.