Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree47Likes

ALPHA OFF ROAD ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Some Alpha lovin for ya from yesterday @ The TQ Challenge "The Barn" in Chester, NY.

Gunnar Reick

Bruce "Toofless" Burton

PS- That IS a Z in his truck, I swapped heads with my S which is now in my buggy.

Unknown who this is...

Old 08-09-2010, 05:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi, got a green head last week, put it on the track on saturday, coupled with a nova 9901, in a xray 808... All I can say is smoooooothhhhhhh!!! didn't feel the insane top end, still on it's first tanks, so I kept the tune on the rich side, and probably that 9901 isn't going to be a good one, but a 0801 is on it's way to my door! I can also say that it's already better than the plus 4 I had before...

Tight motor to break in, had to heat it up real well for the first start!

I guess I'm one more alpha lover around
Old 08-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Tech Regular

Today Alpha factory team tested new .23 size engine for Truggy in Taiwan.I think should be release as soon.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Tech Regular

I raced the .28 T850 in my Truggy, but last races I switched back to the Z852 since the sheet brute torque of the .28 was too much overkill. So I think that a smaller truggy engine will do the trick in the slightly more heavy truggies..
Old 08-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is the green head like? I'm running one this weekend in place of my speed while it gets rebuilt. They look good but qc is a little behing it seems.compared to my os the sleeve doesn't transition to the port holes exactly, and I did like the three ring piston idea, after checking one out quality wise it seems ok. Not near the Japanese quality I'm used too but I heard they run pretty good, any tips for a new green head alpha in rc8ft I should know? Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blackbeardrollo
What is the green head like? I'm running one this weekend in place of my speed while it gets rebuilt. They look good but qc is a little behing it seems.compared to my os the sleeve doesn't transition to the port holes exactly, and I did like the three ring piston idea, after checking one out quality wise it seems ok. Not near the Japanese quality I'm used too but I heard they run pretty good, any tips for a new green head alpha in rc8ft I should know? Thanks
Your post is full of prejustice. QC behind?? No precise transition to the port holes???
I don't know what motor you have looked at, but this is NO description of any Alpha Plus engine I know, and I own and race 4 different ones!
A well tuned Z852 will at least perform as an OS Speed, maybe even out perform it! The quality is at least at japanese level, maybe even better since the Alpha factory is using the newest high-end 11-axis CNC machines, and OS is still using their 6-year old 8-axis CNC machines......
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bart_Banaan
Your post is full of prejustice. QC behind?? No precise transition to the port holes???
I don't know what motor you have looked at, but this is NO description of any Alpha Plus engine I know, and I own and race 4 different ones!
A well tuned Z852 will at least perform as an OS Speed, maybe even out perform it! The quality is at least at japanese level, maybe even better since the Alpha factory is using the newest high-end 11-axis CNC machines, and OS is still using their 6-year old 8-axis CNC machines......
Bart, how does one acquire that type of information about the machines the engine manufacturers are using? And what does 11-axis mean? How many angles it can turn and cut? Just curious.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by modhobby
Bart, how does one acquire that type of information about the machines the engine manufacturers are using? And what does 11-axis mean? How many angles it can turn and cut? Just curious.
I can answer at least part of your question, being from a machining back ground.. 11 axis mean it can move on 11 different planes.. A typical CNC Mill will move on 3 axis, add a rotary table and it is a 4 axis, and so on, until you added 11 axis'..

I can't fathom 11 axis being utilized better then 8, but I am sure there is some benefit or they wouldn't be using it..
Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

I'm not into CNC machines at all; I just tell what I do know from press information and other sources. I was in contact with the Alpha factory quite some time and they informed me about the 11-axis machines.

I suppose it will be something like this machine:

(Source: http://www.syracuse-supply.com/?ID=S...InventoryID=89)

What I'm told is that 'more axis = more precise' because the object has to be less moved around in the machine and therefore the machines can work within smaller tolerences, less movement means the more precise the work is done.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

While technically you are correct that less human movement can result in more precise tolerances.. A person still has to set up the machine and check the finished product and make corrections to keep machining with-in tolerances.. SO, quality is still a Human element..

Not Knocking Alpha at all, because they seem to be of the best quality, but typically manufacturers in Taiwan, China, and India have problems with quality after the 2nd year.. So, only time will tell if the quality will be sustained.. That said, for now they seem to the best Bang for the Buck engine on the market, the only one really in the same department is the Werks B5, but they don't seem to hold up as long as the Alpha's before needing a pinch..
Old 08-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

11 axis just sounds cool.
I have a couple of these orange heads ordered. I'll let you know how I think they compare to the speed engines. I have been running speed engines since the beginning of last year. Should be here soon.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty!
While technically you are correct that less human movement can result in more precise tolerances.. A person still has to set up the machine and check the finished product and make corrections to keep machining with-in tolerances.. SO, quality is still a Human element..

Not Knocking Alpha at all, because they seem to be of the best quality, but typically manufacturers in Taiwan, China, and India have problems with quality after the 2nd year.. So, only time will tell if the quality will be sustained.. That said, for now they seem to the best Bang for the Buck engine on the market, the only one really in the same department is the Werks B5, but they don't seem to hold up as long as the Alpha's before needing a pinch..
But the B5 doesn't need to be run 2 gallons to fully breakin... 1/4 gallon and the B5 is at prime ready to rip... The Alpha's can take up to 2 gallons to fully loosen up and reach peak output...... Not saying one is better, just different
Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

my orange head took nearly 2 1/2 gal. to fully come in. it will out run any thing out of the gate and i have yet to be passed down the straight. it ran strong after the first gallon, but temps were 300+. when it came in, temps dropped to 245 and it is a rocket!! you couldn't pry it out of my dead hands right now. time to start breaking in my back up!! lol
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

My Orange took @ 1.25 - 1.5 gallons to break in ;-)
Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

my green with an 0801 cannot be touched on 100 ft straight by a speed proven fact last sunday with 30 %eb mods fuel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.