Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Novarossi Elite 5 vs Novarossi P5XLT >

Novarossi Elite 5 vs Novarossi P5XLT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skrichter

Novarossi Elite 5 vs Novarossi P5XLT

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Novarossi Elite 5 vs Novarossi P5XLT

Hi, I'm aiming to purchase an engine but need help. Novarossi Elite 5 or P5LT? They both seem like they have the same character, but $30ish difference in price. What is the different between the two? Would like to hear from feedback from Elite 5 or P5xlt owners. Also, I'm open minded on 4 port (novarossi) as well. Any help is highly appreciated!!!!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the p5 comes with the 15009 crank and 06000 piston, the elite has the 15010 crank and 06002 piston. they have different cases and heads as well. I would imagine the elite 5 has less crank work. monty would be the guy to ask the difference between the two cranks.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Novarossi direct has them both for sale but there is about a 100 dollar difference in price tag, p5 at 219, elite 5 at closer to 115. Most opinions is that they are very similar and that the elite 5 is the better buy due to the difference in price. I have one and love it.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have both the Elite 5 and the P5XLT/16. Both are good engines. Only reason I bought a P5XLT/16 is when I went to buy another elite 5 as a backup they were out of stock. They offered me a little extra off a p5 so I took it. The P5 is my primary buggy engine and the E5 is its backup.

Both are great and you really can't go wrong with either. At $119 the Elite 5 is one of the absolute best deals on an engine you can find. When its time to replace the p5 I'll get another E5 if its still available.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apco1
I have both the Elite 5 and the P5XLT/16. Both are good engines. Only reason I bought a P5XLT/16 is when I went to buy another elite 5 as a backup they were out of stock. They offered me a little extra off a p5 so I took it. The P5 is my primary buggy engine and the E5 is its backup.

Both are great and you really can't go wrong with either. At $119 the Elite 5 is one of the absolute best deals on an engine you can find. When its time to replace the p5 I'll get another E5 if its still available.
If running exactly the same fuel, pipe and everything else..... do the E5 and P5 pretty much have similar power from each other on both ends (low and high) and fueltime? I know that the cost of E5 is defiantly a deal over P5 as of now. But let assume the price of both new engine are the same...... Would you still go with E5 or P5? Thank you for feedbacks!!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OFFsider
If running exactly the same fuel, pipe and everything else..... do the E5 and P5 pretty much have similar power from each other on both ends (low and high) and fueltime? I know that the cost of E5 is defiantly a deal over P5 as of now. But let assume the price of both new engine are the same...... Would you still go with E5 or P5? Thank you for feedbacks!!
Not sure I could give a honest answer to that one. I haven't set out to compare them in that fashion. All I know is that I've been happy with the performance of both.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For those who run the Elite 5 -- what pipe/header combo do you like? Looking for maybe gaining some top end in the Elite 5. Thx!
DXPinoyRC likes this.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skrichter
For those who run the Elite 5 -- what pipe/header combo do you like? Looking for maybe gaining some top end in the Elite 5. Thx!
if u desperately need top, go with the 9886 nova pipe. It does drink more fuel though. I get plenty of top with my 9901 I ran at southern nationals in Lousiana on the straight. If you're running the 9901, 9853, or the 2096 pipe, you could run a shorter manifold for more top end. Either way, stay dialed sir.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skrichter
I ran my elite 5/9853 dynamite pipe last night at my local track and got the win in open/expert nitro buggy. My tune was still rich as I'm still under half a gallon. I came off the main at 200°F, but still had plenty of power down low and on the str8. Didnt feel like it was rich blogging at all. Loving this motor. No other $500 $600 motor out there could hold a flame to me. Anyone else want to share experiences with this motor?
Old 04-29-2020, 11:26 PM
Tech Initiate

guys. can you give me needle settings for the elite 5?my son changed them and i cannot find the proper settings..help please
Old 04-29-2020, 11:58 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Konstantinos
guys. can you give me needle settings for the elite 5?my son changed them and i cannot find the proper settings..help please
If you think the factory setting is the right one to drive with then you are thinking wrong.

If you can start the engine the learn how to tune so no factory setting is needed.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:26 AM
Tech Champion

I used to just start with the needles flush and work from there.. I never believed in "factory" or anybody else's settings. What matters is your own - basically it just needs to sound right and have visible smoke.. After that, you can sort of keep an eye on things with temps... But afaic you're fine even if your temp gun is reading close to 300F but it sounds good and smoke looks good...(temp guns are often off too..) A poorly tuned engine basically always sounds wrong, and if it sounds OK but there is no smoke that is the next indicator.. IMO anyway. And I am feeling fairly confident about my tuning having recently dragged out some years-old engines which still run great - amazingly. And I am by no means an expert racer type.. So yeah, the "right" settings for everyone don't exist. You pretty much have to find your own settings based on your individual variables.., and with nitro there are so many - pipe, fuel, plug, outside temp, elevation, humidity,etc etc..

Man, dipping my feet back into cars makes me want to buy an Elite 5... Something I have NO business even thinking about...