Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O'Donnell Super Sport .21

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey there,

The O'donnell ss.21 ran like a champ all weekend at the JBRL race at ARC. The combo of the SS.21,The new O'donnell R2 pipe and header, #87 Glow Plugs and 30% nitro was outstanding. Great power, great fuel mileage, excellent tunibity as the weather was changing all day and not one single flame out all day Saturday or Sunday. I only say this as I saw many of the factory guys with flame out problems.

If you haven't tried a SS.21 you really should. It is economical, and in the long run worth more then what you will pay for it.

Combine it with the R2 pipe/header, #87 Glow plug and the best fuel on the planet...O'donnel 30% and you will have a graet running and long lasting engine in your buggy or truggy.

Have fun and I hope to see everyone at the races,

Barry
Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default r2 combo

Is the o'donnell pipe setup to work in both buggy and truggy? I like the feel of a more rpm pipe in the buggy. What's everyone doing?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 42 (96%+)

Hey guys. Im about to just finish my 2nd gallon. I would prob put 3-4 tanks of fuel in the Mil before the day was over. Sometimes 5 total in 1 day. I went thru 2 plugs in 1 half gallon. I used the 87T for about 1.5 Gallons and had 2 97T go already in the other half. Why is this happening? I went back to stock settings on Carb, and did a little tweaking. It idles and all. But seems rich still.
I am using a JP1 Pipe with 97t plug and OD 20% fuel.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Y aren't you runnng 30%?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can someone explain the difference between the 97T and 87T?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bonesbs
Can someone explain the difference between the 97T and 87T?
It's hotter than the 97t, but cooler than the 77t. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Figured i would show off my Odonnell powered 6T here.... thing RIPS!

Keeps up with all the Speed guys.. no problems!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PsycoB4
Hey guys. Im about to just finish my 2nd gallon. I would prob put 3-4 tanks of fuel in the Mil before the day was over. Sometimes 5 total in 1 day. I went thru 2 plugs in 1 half gallon. I used the 87T for about 1.5 Gallons and had 2 97T go already in the other half. Why is this happening? I went back to stock settings on Carb, and did a little tweaking. It idles and all. But seems rich still.

I am using a JP1 Pipe with 97t plug and OD 20% fuel.
No1 has any info on this? Or what is going on?? I dont wanna blow up a excellent engine.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

No1 has any info on this? Or what is going on?? I dont wanna blow up a excellent engine.
Are the coils in the plugs that you've used a very light gray/white color and distorted? If so, the engine is running way lean, and you will indeed damage it if you continue to run it with that same tune. Slightly gray is ok. It means that the engine is near optimum tune, but only if the wire is not distorted.

If the plugs look very wet and/or brown when they're removed, the engine is running way too rich, and you're literally fouling out the plug. Running it rich won't hurt it long term, it'll just make you foul plugs really quick.

If you're going through plugs like they're candy, either your tune is off, or you have an air leak somewhere which is causing the tune to change sporadically (check carb neck, back plate, front bearing, etc...).

I'm working on the same 87T that I started with, and I've got just about a gallon on it...no issues at all.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Are the coils in the plugs that you've used a very light gray/white color and distorted? If so, the engine is running way lean, and you will indeed damage it if you continue to run it with that same tune. Slightly gray is ok. It means that the engine is near optimum tune, but only if the wire is not distorted.

If the plugs look very wet and/or brown when they're removed, the engine is running way too rich, and you're literally fouling out the plug. Running it rich won't hurt it long term, it'll just make you foul plugs really quick.

If you're going through plugs like they're candy, either your tune is off, or you have an air leak somewhere which is causing the tune to change sporadically (check carb neck, back plate, front bearing, etc...).

I'm working on the same 87T that I started with, and I've got just about a gallon on it...no issues at all.

Hope this helps.
Yeah I went 1.5 gallons and still good plug but people said change it so I did. 97T and went thru 1 in a 1/2 gallon. So I went back to factory then 5hrs lean on top and 2hrs lean bottom. I will be testing in a few at the track with a buddy getting his Mil ready for the weekend.

How much of a Performance Gain do you really see from using 30%?
I thought you would rather run 20% because it has the nice percentage oil amount inside. And it is just getting hotter. So I would think I would want more oil inside then less? Just my take on this.

I just took the head off my engine. My button was stuck to my head. Wierd?
Made sure it was super clean before I put back together. Everything seems all fresh and new. Im at about 2 gallons, and I cant turn it over. So I know Im still there, and getting better at tuning. I love this Engine. I wish it was more than a 3-port. But who knows. First Race this weekend and it will let me know how it defends.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Suspended

Well Again Track testing day #2: Failure!!!

Brand new glow plug #3 today. Still Engine does not idle, stay running, or keep tune. It is spitting fuel and burning fuel like no other. Settings are the same as last time I wrote. I bought 2 Plugs from Tower and they are 97T. They both went in 5 tanks each. I dont know why or what is going on. Now I lost some Compression to from this. I couldnt turn it over at all really by hand, and now it is a little easier. My buddy could not believe his eyes either. He has seen this Mil run and go strong. I dont know what happened or why this is going on. But I am very upset that I cannot race this weekend. little happy I didnt go away and race this past weekend. Would have been a long time wasted. Well Dont know what to do from here. Try another plug maybe? I just dont know. Stuck, confused, and most of all worried.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Well Again Track testing day #2: Failure!!!

Brand new glow plug #3 today. Still Engine does not idle, stay running, or keep tune. It is spitting fuel and burning fuel like no other. Settings are the same as last time I wrote. I bought 2 Plugs from Tower and they are 97T. They both went in 5 tanks each. I dont know why or what is going on. Now I lost some Compression to from this. I couldnt turn it over at all really by hand, and now it is a little easier. My buddy could not believe his eyes either. He has seen this Mil run and go strong. I dont know what happened or why this is going on. But I am very upset that I cannot race this weekend. little happy I didnt go away and race this past weekend. Would have been a long time wasted. Well Dont know what to do from here. Try another plug maybe? I just dont know. Stuck, confused, and most of all worried.
sounds like you might be rich on the bottom and lean on the top end... which would cause no idle and a burnt up plug.....

so does the engine clean out on the top end??? when you drive does smoke come from the exhaust all the time??? a nice trail during the straightaway pulls??? if not top end is lean.. if yes then you should be good or close..

lsn..... when you come into the pits does the motor come right down to idle?? 5-8 seconds before idle??? or longer than 10 seconds to idle down??? lsn should be about 5ish seconds to come to idle.. after 10 second should be getting rich.. by 15 seconds will be hard to pull away from the pits due to being overly rich.... let us know on these questions and we will be able to help. jeremy
Old 05-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jer7469
sounds like you might be rich on the bottom and lean on the top end... which would cause no idle and a burnt up plug.....

so does the engine clean out on the top end??? when you drive does smoke come from the exhaust all the time??? a nice trail during the straightaway pulls??? if not top end is lean.. if yes then you should be good or close..

lsn..... when you come into the pits does the motor come right down to idle?? 5-8 seconds before idle??? or longer than 10 seconds to idle down??? lsn should be about 5ish seconds to come to idle.. after 10 second should be getting rich.. by 15 seconds will be hard to pull away from the pits due to being overly rich.... let us know on these questions and we will be able to help. jeremy
I dont know where to start. I was at factory settings, then at the Optimal settings for the track and for the mil. I ddidnt try anything lean or too lean or overly rich. They are the same settings I used when this engine was optimal. After changing the plug that came with the engine. it has never worked the same. Idk if I got 2 bad plugs or what not. But now my compression is not the same, and has faulted my mil. Dont know what to do. I dont wanna waste a engine.

To what you asked. It was all over the place, so I couldnt tell you really. there is no base or anything. When It did idle it sounded lean bottom rich top. then I fix, then it is too rich bottom and rich top. I just dont know.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I dont know where to start. I was at factory settings, then at the Optimal settings for the track and for the mil. I ddidnt try anything lean or too lean or overly rich. They are the same settings I used when this engine was optimal. After changing the plug that came with the engine. it has never worked the same. Idk if I got 2 bad plugs or what not. But now my compression is not the same, and has faulted my mil. Dont know what to do. I dont wanna waste a engine.

To what you asked. It was all over the place, so I couldnt tell you really. there is no base or anything. When It did idle it sounded lean bottom rich top. then I fix, then it is too rich bottom and rich top. I just dont know.
when is the next day you will be going to the track??? i can give you me cell # and you can call me when you are trying to tune... keeps temps under 230ish.... try the 97t plug again when you do... jeremy
Old 05-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jer7469
when is the next day you will be going to the track??? i can give you me cell # and you can call me when you are trying to tune... keeps temps under 230ish.... try the 97t plug again when you do... jeremy
I dont know if I do wanna go to the track with it. 3 plugs fault out over 1 qquart of fuel?? Something is not right. I was at 3/4 turn from close low and 1 turn out from close high, and it still was spitting fuel like it was super rich. 1 tank went in 3 mins of bench testing. I do not wanna try to tune this or try to get her going. To me there is something wrong with the carb. It was fine, I mean fine, perfect last weekend. Plug change. Now this!! And now I think My engine is on its way because it lost compression and the pinch that it had.
Not to happy with these plugs I got from Tower, and the issues that is caused.

Called Steve. No answer. Left a message. Was hoping he could help. He was the one who told me how to tune it and where to start. he was right on, now Im stuck in the mud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.