Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
nitro engine running in reverse? >

nitro engine running in reverse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

nitro engine running in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default nitro engine running in reverse?

I have an ofna jammin x1 buggy with an os vg 21 engine. i fired it up today with a starter box and for some reason when i press the throttle, the engine pushes the car in reverse. sorry for the newbie question but i am at a loss here. i've set up the starter box and have started the engine having the starter box run clockwise and counterclockwise. yet both ways the engine starts up and when i press the throttle it runs in reverse. somebody please help!!?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

did you have the diffs out and maybe put the in backwards.....also make sure your starter box is making the flywheel turn counter clockwise....hope this helps
Old 10-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

sometimes these engine can start backwards

try starting it again and it should fix the problem, i've only ever had a engine start backwards once or twice
Old 10-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've had it happen many times. Usually when it's cold out, or the bump box battery is nearly dead.

Just shut it off and restart like said above, and it doesn't hurt anything.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

I do suspect is the diff put wrong way....
Old 10-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check the starter box. It might be wired up backwards or spinning backwards. I tried upgrading my Losi box but ran out of time and threw it back together the day of a race. I got to the track and had trouble starting my "relieable" engine. After it finally started I gave it throttle and the wheels turned backwards to my amazement. The losi diffs can't go together backwards so I knew it was my box. Especially after thrashing to put it together. I swapped wires and it was back to normal.

NEVERMIND. I JUST REREAD THE FIRST POST THOROUGHLY.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Check to make sure your engine is running in reverse. If it is running counterclockwise when looking from the front of the engine it is running in the proper direction and you have problems elsewhere like having the diffs in backwards.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If it is the engine running in reverse, shut it down right away. Running any engine in reverse is kinda harmful. It screws with the timing of it and it will end up running rich and then lean because of the timing.

Anytime I have had an engine run in reverse and/or backfire, I change the plug and all is good.
Dirtbandit likes this.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

This is for some reason a strange occurance with Jammin vehicals. I had that happen at a race and the race director almost got on me for having reverse. When there was a closer look, they noticed that there was not reverse gear. The next time it happened was in front of my house when I was tuning the engine.

My hypothesis is that if the car rolls backwards a little, the motor will in fact stop for a fraction of a second and run in reverse. Soft clutch springs and sticky shoes grab for a millisecond and change direction of the engine. The other fact about this was that it was with two different engines. I pushed the car for a sec and the motor did indeed changed direction and ran.

If the engine is warm and is at idle or close to it the clutch shoes grab when the car rolls backwards, it will reverse the engine.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Man that is very strange but I had the exact same thing happen to me while I was running the jammin buggy. Not trying to start a bash the jammin thread cause it was a bad ass buggy but I never had that occur in any of my other cars.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

ive got a nitro engine to run in reverse before
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

and it was my jp
Old 10-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
Man that is very strange but I had the exact same thing happen to me while I was running the jammin buggy. Not trying to start a bash the jammin thread cause it was a bad ass buggy but I never had that occur in any of my other cars.
Nothing to do with what brand buggy or engine. I've had nova's, os's, and a peak engine all do it before. Just certain conditions make it happen now and then. Shut em down and restart em. I've never changed plugs or anything, just restarted them and all was good
Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

who,s going to the victorian titlesin mildura
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

sorry i mean titles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.