Search
Like Tree2Likes

Go-Tech Engines Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowlife88
So just for referance incase anybody else is wondering, 1-silver shim (0.3mm) and X2 brass (0.1mm) shim for a total of 0.5mm, correct? People can get confused when it comes to shimming the head. Heck I do occasionally
Also, how's the differance when going .4mm? Is it that noticeable on the bottom end and how much does it increase the fuel milage would you estimate?
Correct
Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

hey everyone..

managed to find a hairdryer to heat up the engine.. now i just have to learn how to use one of the IMAX B6ac chargers.. to start the beast up..

anyone have experience with the IMAX chargers??

couldnt see a indication of the battery charging.. 3600mah reedy nimh pack.. 7.2v.. at 3a and 3v charging.. discharge at 1v..
Old 03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

the charging Q.. has been answered by self... pretty much a dah answer..

anyway ill be running the MG66 in a little today.. providing the weather holds of for a bit..
Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs down welcome the wet season

Hi Grizz1 and Flanno,
haven't been on for a while, the wet season has just begun in earnest up here in Cairns , North queensland, 256mm this week: and it ain't over yet by a long shot.
Griz, I haven't tried the 3 needle carbies on the track yet, but they certainly appear to make the Gx11 a sweeter engine allround.
Check out our website, Cairns RC .com, all the info is there for the Cairns Cup in AUGUST. Never know, Flanno or yourself might come up and show us how it's done. Registration is available on SLYFOX.
Cheers Guys.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Actualy, I may be able to make August.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:19 AM
Tech Adept

hey all..

got things sorted and charged...

ran the MG66 in after heating it to 135c.. in this weather...

all went well.. ran the engine with small bursts for one tank and then let it rest...

after that.. 2nd tank i checked the temp.. and it steadily went up from 89-90C to about 111c and stayed at 110c..

engine is nice and lubed.. and held tune all the way... after fiddling with the throttle linkages..

how many tanks before the engine would be ready for race tune??

and what average temp does your MG66 or other GO engine sit at..?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MasterComander
hey all..

all went well.. ran the engine with small bursts for one tank and then let it rest...

after that.. 2nd tank i checked the temp.. and it steadily went up from 89-90C to about 111c and stayed at 110c..

engine is nice and lubed.. and held tune all the way... after fiddling with the throttle linkages..

Give it 15 tanks or so before leaning it right out.
A good measure is - If you can manage to turn the motor over when it has just stopped after a tank, by rolling the flywheel with your thumb from underneath the body,then it is ready to be leaned out. If you can't quite get it to turn over, and can still feel metal on metal pinch at the top of the stroke when it is this warm, then do more slightly rich tanks at an easy pace until you can.

Don't sweat it on temps. Just tune for performance with good smoke. The motor will run at the temp it is happy at
If you really are into the temp thing, I would say a well tuned motor would come in at around 110 - 118 C. But this is variable by so many outside influences - pipe, fuel, ambient conditions, track conditions etc etc - that's why you should not worry about it.
As Massive used to say - the best thing you can do with your temp gun is to hit it hard with a very big hammer
If you need to, check temps with the spit test - more accurate than a lot of heat guns on the market out there.
They are handy when running motors in (purely as a reference tool only), but that's about it really. Jusy my opinion of course
Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Flanno
Actualy, I may be able to make August.
Be good to meet you in person Flanno. Have a yarn to Mark the Man when you catch up with him next, he can give you a first hand report about the venue and event. Tell him TED sent ya If you do make it, feel free to use my place to bunk down for a few nights if needed, and use my workshop to do any running repairs etc. The boys from MMI with Darren used it last year and had a great BBQ and car prep night before the finals on Sunday.
Hey Grizz, my offer still stands!!Be good to meet ya as well. The temp here at that time of year would be to your liking I'm thinking. Spot on concerning Temp guns: I use mine to measure the water temp to boil my spagetti Used it when a novice tuner,( not that I'm any better at it now )I now go by ear, throttle finger response and smoke. About the only time I do use mine is to measure motor temps on Electric short course truck.
Cheers
Ted Fay

Last edited by SNOOKS; 03-17-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks alot for the info Grizz1 ..

15tanks.. mm wow k.. well i do want this beast to run well and haul ass.. soo.

its up to 4th tank so i shall run it a further 2-3tanks today..
Attached Thumbnails Go-Tech Engines Thread-jqout3.jpg  
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Wait, so not just an Amain-on-sale HO, but an OLD HO?

Someone in marketing is trying for too many laughs.
Attached Thumbnails Go-Tech Engines Thread-img_20120317_224306.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:55 AM
Tech Master

hey all..

Originally Posted by grizz1
Give it 15 tanks or so before leaning it right out.
A good measure is - If you can manage to turn the motor over when it has just stopped after a tank, by rolling the flywheel with your thumb from underneath the body,then it is ready to be leaned out. If you can't quite get it to turn over, and can still feel metal on metal pinch at the top of the stroke when it is this warm, then do more slightly rich tanks at an easy pace until you can.

Don't sweat it on temps. Just tune for performance with good smoke. The motor will run at the temp it is happy at
If you really are into the temp thing, I would say a well tuned motor would come in at around 110 - 118 C. But this is variable by so many outside influences - pipe, fuel, ambient conditions, track conditions etc etc - that's why you should not worry about it.
As Massive used to say - the best thing you can do with your temp gun is to hit it hard with a very big hammer
If you need to, check temps with the spit test - more accurate than a lot of heat guns on the market out there.
They are handy when running motors in (purely as a reference tool only), but that's about it really. Jusy my opinion of course
Thanks alot for the info Grizz1 ..

15tanks.. mm wow k.. well i do want this beast to run well and haul ass.. soo.

its up to 4th tank so i shall run it a further 2-3tanks today..
Hi Jack
The tune I put on it last time I saw you is pretty close to my race tune, maybe a screw driver blade or 2 richer, but was producing great power already as is, just keep running it at that untill I get a chance to put an ear on her and give it a tickle for ya
Old 03-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SNOOKS
Be good to meet you in person Flanno. Have a yarn to Mark the Man when you catch up with him next, he can give you a first hand report about the venue and event. Tell him TED sent ya If you do make it, feel free to use my place to bunk down for a few nights if needed, and use my workshop to do any running repairs etc. The boys from MMI with Darren used it last year and had a great BBQ and car prep night before the finals on Sunday.
Hey Grizz, my offer still stands!!Be good to meet ya as well. The temp here at that time of year would be to your liking I'm thinking. Spot on concerning Temp guns: I use mine to measure the water temp to boil my spagetti Used it when a novice tuner,( not that I'm any better at it now )I now go by ear, throttle finger response and smoke. About the only time I do use mine is to measure motor temps on Electric short course truck.
Cheers
Ted Fay
PM me when gets closer, I'm doing QLD titles at Sunshine in June, so remind me after that Cheers.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Go GX-5R Run in Shim

I've just got to the 4 litre mark in my Go GX-5R engine. I added the run in shim for run in. When should I take the shim out? Secondly if I take it out does it change the tune much?

cheers
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

alright sweet azz flanno.. got up to 6tanks today.. and had the beast running at idle with short bursts for 22minutes.. pretty normal for run in ?.. and will that go down to 11-12min when racing around after its run in.. as well as idle.. or is that standard for an engine to last so long on idle.. obviously run time will stay at 11minutes when running around the track.. ?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

I've been running the GX5-R a little at the track, and while it has a lot of top end I find it a bit lacking in the bottom end.
My friend suggested I should go with a different clutch spring to counter this tendency, so it can have a bit more RPM before the clutch engages.

Should I go for 1.1 or do I need 1.2 springs?

Secondly, I have been using the 2-needle carb with the long needle. However one thing really annoys me, and that is the massive difference in tune from when I have a full tank, to when the tank is in it's last 3rd.
When the tank is full, I have a rich tune. When the tank is nearing empty (last 3rd) the tune is very lean.
I really do not like this tendency.

So I am thinking to try an OS 21J carb which I have laying about, unless someone has a suggestion on something else..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.