Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Tuning complication  engine rich and lean at same time >

Tuning complication engine rich and lean at same time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Tuning complication engine rich and lean at same time

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by illmatic94

I’ve richened it to the point where it will cut out from being flooded if I let it idle. Once the crank clears out from flooring it . It shows signs of being lean
the HSN will not cause it to flood at idle. the LSN is very rich and HSN is very very lean.
This is whats happening, the LSN is rich but isnt getting the full supply because the HSN is so lean... what your experiencing is when you richen the HSN its letting the LSN get full supply its asking for, with it being so rich and then thats why its loading up and cutting.

again, You need to richen the HSN and lean the LSN.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iplaygames
the HSN will not cause it to flood at idle. the LSN is very rich and HSN is very very lean.
This is whats happening, the LSN is rich but isnt getting the full supply because the HSN is so lean... what your experiencing is when you richen the HSN its letting the LSN get full supply its asking for, with it being so rich and then thats why its loading up and cutting.

again, You need to richen the HSN and lean the LSN.
tried all of this. And the issue is the same. High speed is the main needle and it can’t be richened anymore without the car flooding .
Old 02-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Suspended

tried all of this. And the issue is the same. High speed is the main needle and it can’t be richened anymore without the car flooding .
did you lean the lsn when you richend the high?

your engine in the video like others and myself said, is rich on bottom and very lean on top.
three things again, Richen HSN and raise idle since its "flooding" and then lean lsn. and after that will require lowering the idle back down because you've Leaned the LSN

the LSN controls the stationary idle and the LSN is what determines if it loads up or not in conjunction with high idle speed.

if you dont wish to take the advice and get your engine running properly i suggest running electric or having someone physically come and make the above adjustments for you.
Juice1 likes this.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I’ve richened it to the point where it will cut out from being flooded if I let it idle. Once the crank clears out from flooring it . It shows signs of being lean
I know it's tuning 101, but just in case... the brass fitting is the high speed needle and the one on the slide is the low speed. It almost sounds like your richining the low speed.

)Start your engine and get it to idle.
)With your tuning screwdriver ready, pull the throttle wide open and start to unscrew the high speed needle (brass fitting) until it starts to sound right.
)Next, start tuning your low speed needle (carb slide) until you get a steady idle.

From there you should be able to fine tune your engine.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Juice1
I know it's tuning 101, but just in case... the brass fitting is the high speed needle and the one on the slide is the low speed. It almost sounds like your richining the low speed.

)Start your engine and get it to idle.
)With your tuning screwdriver ready, pull the throttle wide open and start to unscrew the high speed needle (brass fitting) until it starts to sound right.
)Next, start tuning your low speed needle (carb slide) until you get a steady idle.

From there you should be able to fine tune your engine.
I’ll try again and post an update. I swear I’ve tried everything. I’ll have both needles set very rich and the engine just doesn’t seem to be consistent in the tune that is set( richer side or leaner side)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I’ll try again and post an update. I swear I’ve tried everything. I’ll have both needles set very rich and the engine just doesn’t seem to be consistent in the tune that is set( richer side or leaner side)
Don't take it the wrong way. Which way are you turning the HSN and LSN to richen and lean?

also the factory settings is a base setup to allow the engine to start at least, you then tune from there.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sebtarta
Don't take it the wrong way. Which way are you turning the HSN and LSN to richen and lean?

also the factory settings is a base setup to allow the engine to start at least, you then tune from there.
left is rich
thr base settings were to lean . Richened way more than that and problem is present
Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I chased my tail with a Traxxas 3.3 (different engine I know) for a long time. I bought the truck/engine new. Could never get the tuning right. Went from lean to rich to lean/etc without changing the tune. Compression was fine. Replaced the carburetor and bearings, tried sealing it up, new fuel lines, tuned until I couldn’t take it anymore. Threw in the towel and put in a used OS based engine that I got with a truggy that I bought and it has been great. Doesn’t hurt to try and fix it but sometimes you just get a lemon I think.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Could something such as slipped clutch, engine clutch set up etc cause this issue?
Ive literally swapped for an engine I know works , swapped fuel tanks, pipe, and experience the same pseudo lean symptom only when wot is held.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:07 AM
Suspended

Could something such as slipped clutch, engine clutch set up etc cause this issue?
Ive literally swapped for an engine I know works , swapped fuel tanks, pipe, and experience the same pseudo lean symptom only when wot is held.
Again, richen HSN and lean the LSN, maybe you need to find a hobbyshop that can turn that HSN screw counter clockwise and the LSN clockwise.
Unless you've now got different issues to the video you posted you...do the above. i've seen it so many times before, please just do the above.

if i took any of my cars outside right now and filmed me making the HSN silly lean and LSN super rich it would do exactly the same as the video.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iplaygames
Again, richen HSN and lean the LSN, maybe you need to find a hobbyshop that can turn that HSN screw counter clockwise and the LSN clockwise.
Unless you've now got different issues to the video you posted you...do the above. i've seen it so many times before, please just do the above.

if i took any of my cars outside right now and filmed me making the HSN silly lean and LSN super rich it would do exactly the same as the video.
I’m obviously ignoring you . No need to respond to my posts sir
Old 02-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Old 02-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Suspended

I’m obviously ignoring you . No need to respond to my posts sir
OK. Don't take my advice which would've fixed your problem.

Enjoy continuing to have a lean HSN and a rich lsn and enjoy your day.