Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Does anyone here use "SH Engines"? >

Does anyone here use "SH Engines"?

Like Tree5Likes

Does anyone here use "SH Engines"?

Old 06-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Default Does anyone here use "SH Engines"?

Hi,

Does anyone use SH Engines anymore? I know Hobby People/Global used to use/sell them a lot and I think they were the OEM for a number of the Global brands? I have an older XTM Mammoth that I just have an urging desire to stuff a big block into and the SH .28 looks like it'd fit the bill, price is right on point too. I just can't seem to remember if these are worth buying for bashing, I do remember the 24.7 had a lot of bottom (pretty sure the XTM Mammoth stock 24.7 motor is an SH).

https://www.amainhobbies.com/sh-engi...02a-p3/p509064

Thanks
Old 06-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Novarossi essentially put the tiawanese motor companies out of buisness in north america
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For the difference in price, Nova is the best bang for the buck. Period. However, SH Engines aren’t horrible. I’ve run various SH variants of years. They run fine. Not stellar power houses, but they work. SH makes Engines for Dynamite, XTM, LRP, Xceed, Redcat, etc.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

My reasoning behind the SH .28 is it's inexpensive and the truck I want to throw it in is fairly dated, I didn't think it would be worthy of anything more than an inexpensive 'sport level' engine. I've been looking at a few different engines actually, the Nova .28 with rotostart and the LRP .32 were 2 others I was eyeing as potential candidates. It will be hard to beat the price of the SH but I'm certain the performance the Nova and LRP will offer would be worth the difference.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

The LRP is made by SH. It just has a higher price tag. Most of the SH variants averaged about $140 last time I checked a few months ago. A big red .28 will cost you about $180 plus shipping on average. For that price, I’d buy a Nova .28. Heck, I’d take the Nova regardless of price only because they are rumored to be getting discontinued.

If you want a Taiwanese engine of average power and o.k. Longevity, go for it.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

As was mentioned, SH makes engines for lots of RTR brands. They work fine, just don't expect them to be race-grade.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
As was mentioned, SH makes engines for lots of RTR brands. They work fine, just don't expect them to be race-grade.
It wouldn't be for racing, I don't even think this rig would take a corner! Just want it for bashing, if it'll hold a decent tune and send the truck off jumps then it'll be good enough for me

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
The LRP is made by SH.
I was not aware, thanks

Last edited by Xpress..; 06-29-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

It should be fine for bashing, though personally, I'd rather buy the Dynamite .28 because it will come with a Horizon Hobby warranty.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:30 AM
Tech Adept

When used properly and not over primed id take pull starter engine over anything else because all you have to carry with you on the bashing field is a glow starter.... with pull start i dont think Sh price can be beat...

we talking bashing here...
for extra performance you will need to get rid of the pull start and thats where nova price becomes attractive..
Old 07-01-2018, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Pull starts never last real long on big block engines - especially .26-.28s. Rotostarters are the way to go for those rigs that cannot use a bump box. SH engines are often pretty tight - my .28 6-port was way tighter than my Novarossi Legend 28-8 - so more finesse is needed to keep a Pullstart alive for more than a few starts.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:18 PM
Tech Rookie

SH engines are not bad but everyone i know running one hasnt had one last too long. 2 of my buddies experienced sudden loss of compression on a completely properly broken in engine at an engine temp of 190 - 210F
Old 07-02-2018, 12:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
Novarossi essentially put the tiawanese motor companies out of buisness in north america
care to explain? just curious.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

A pullstart should work fine after break-in, but for an engine that large I'd definitely use a rotostart during break-in.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

This is one of 2 Mammoth's I have. This one has the stock 24.7 in it, the other one is what needs a new engine. Had it out all weekend and it's got tons of power, breaks all 4 tires loose with nothing more than an SH "Max Torque" pipe and header. It tuned effortlessly and has ran solid as long as I've had it. It does have the rotostart which I think I'm going to swap out for a Sullivan Tigerdrive to standardize my starter setup, and since it's difficult to insert the starter shaft from the rear of the vehicle, between the dogbone and the upper a-arm.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
It should be fine for bashing, though personally, I'd rather buy the Dynamite .28 because it will come with a Horizon Hobby warranty.
There are 2, one for the truggy, and one called "Big Red", to which are you referring?

A warranty is attractive for sure, makes me wonder how much different this is compared to the SH branded .28..

Novarossi has a really attractive 28-8 that seems to have a cult following from what I could find. And the price point isn't bad either, hell maybe I'll snag one of these to swap the 24-7 out.

Last edited by Xpress..; 07-02-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service