Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Cold weather brake in( good or bad) >

Cold weather brake in( good or bad)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Cold weather brake in( good or bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Smile Cold weather brake in( good or bad)

Hey guys over the years i have heard a few people say if you brake in ya motor in cold weather temps lets say under 40 deg you can run in to issues when the weather gets warmer. Such as less engine life aka less gallons of fuel being able to be run threw ya motor.

So whats the real truth behind the idea a cold weather brake in can an will cause issues when the weather starts to warm up? For me i have broke in a lot of motors an some have been over the winter months. Right now i just got back in to the hobby an based on my funds i had to get a exceed rally monster an i did my brake in just last week.

I keep coming back to the idea is it really a bad idea ? I pre heat motors i do not let it cool down under 100 deg i think i have a good 5 tank brake in that i do so i am just very confused over the idea i am doing more harm then good right now. Thanks guys sorry its a little long winded here..
Old 03-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Cant imagine it would care. So long as its preheated to an appropriate temp before turning over it shouldnt matter what the ambient temp is. As for changing seasons, the only thing that should change is tune.

I could be wrong as im no engineer etc and dont understand the finer points (or the not so fine tbh) of metallurgy but i doubt it. Just take care of them as youve been doing.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Gavel
Cant imagine it would care. So long as its preheated to an appropriate temp before turning over it shouldnt matter what the ambient temp is. As for changing seasons, the only thing that should change is tune.

I could be wrong as im no engineer etc and dont understand the finer points (or the not so fine tbh) of metallurgy but i doubt it. Just take care of them as youve been doing.
I agree with you,im at 7 tanks an im still running rich . As you should with the colder temps ive been have living on the East Coast. You know what it really is i tend to keep my self busy reading rc forum based web sites. An ive take part in a few sits etc an given my point an asked my share of questions.

I think i was kinda finding a new topic for us to go back an fort that has not been beat to death. I think im good at braking in rc motors i think i have the understanding an know how to lean out my motor for best top end etc etc.

Id like a nice adult based back an fort topic where id like to learn something an lets get away from whats the best buggy, whats the best motor or why does my motor not start etc etc. All have there place but... like i said a lot of topics tbh have been just been beat to death over the years.

I say lets have at it an give some input based on what we learned or just re port what we have heard over the years..
Old 03-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think if you were to break it in during the cold, once the warm weather hits your needles will need to be completely reset.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

i break just about all my motors in over the winter.. im in Wisconsin so it gets pretty cold at times. i run a handful of tanks on the starter box really rich with head heater on it. let cool in-between. when its semi warm enough i will drive it outside when there is no snow on the road. head heater on and still rich or wrap head with aluminum foil. ( 10-16 layers ) to keep it warm after pre-heated. i get 8-10 gallons on my engines all the time. just re-tune as needed when you hit the tracks
token likes this.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cardiak
I think if you were to break it in during the cold, once the warm weather hits your needles will need to be completely reset.
I have heard this before as well. Still no real proof to me at least that is needed. Not picking on you by any means i am thank full for ya input i just want more proof that ive been doing harm over 18-19 years now. I only messed up one motor an it was a used 3.3 i got that i think was on its way out any ways. lol
Old 03-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by J.Whiting
i break just about all my motors in over the winter.. im in Wisconsin so it gets pretty cold at times. i run a handful of tanks on the starter box really rich with head heater on it. let cool in-between. when its semi warm enough i will drive it outside when there is no snow on the road. head heater on and still rich or wrap head with aluminum foil. ( 10-16 layers ) to keep it warm after pre-heated. i get 8-10 gallons on my engines all the time. just re-tune as needed when you hit the tracks
I think based on where you live you have no other option to do it the way you do. I seam to come in to money in the winter months an thats where i can go an get a new rc or a new motor . I cant let my new toy sit for weeks or months no way lol..

I do it like you with a few different things added or taken away do to my budget. I never ever brake in a motor letting it idle but tbh i doubt that would play a huge roll if i do brake a motor in the winter vs spring or a summer month..

I could be wrong, maybe instead of my 5 tank method i should be doing 10 or wrap a sock on the cooling head or tinfoil . I can only go by what i have dealt with an i just cant imagine the pinch changing so much over a few months . Now just cause ive done a cold weather brake in, user error now effects everything i think is said to be true.. thanks everyone so far
Old 03-19-2018, 03:35 AM
am
Tech Master

I have tried running in at temps below 0 deg celcius, and thoose engines just don`t last. Maybe i am doing it wrong, but i have stopped running in when cold outside.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:01 AM
Tech Lord

Thats it. The piston is most fragile when it is new. When it has been started and cooled down many times the structure of the aluminium does get tougher.

And yes, the piston will set itself to the temperature. Although you think on the outside you will meassure the same temps and hold on to it, the colder weather will give more cooling to the inside of the engine keeping the sleeve smaller in size. Although it is just a fraction, you will notice it in hotter conditions.

If there is no need to run in cold temps there is also no need to break in the engine in cold temps.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:53 PM
wfo
Tech Regular

Location: SO. CAL. Thunder alley, revelation raceway The Dirt -Perris RIP OCRC
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

EBIS has changed the break-in game forever!
underway likes this.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i always try to keep my engines above 200 with head wrapped. I cant see it making a difference as long as the motor isnt being ran at to cool of a temperature
Old 03-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by evolution03
i always try to keep my engines above 200 with head wrapped. I cant see it making a difference as long as the motor isnt being ran at to cool of a temperature
I have done the same thing, ive heard a lot of people say when you do a cold weather brake in you run the chance of having issues when the out side temps rise. I just really wounder what issues i an others would run in to.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Whiting
When I'm in a crunch, I do the exact same thing. But this is extremely rare for me. I don't like breaking in engines or running newer engines in the winter. Our racing don't start until like April and I can totally wait, or just use an old engine in the winter....
Old 03-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by token
When I'm in a crunch, I do the exact same thing. But this is extremely rare for me. I don't like breaking in engines or running newer engines in the winter. Our racing don't start until like April and I can totally wait, or just use an old engine in the winter....
I see you race an based on what you run an the time of the year you can wait... For someone who say gets a nitro rc rtr for xmas etc. I cant see my self waiting to April just tbh..

I love to learn an with this hobby its more then just playing with a rc toy.. I just want proof that a cold weather brake in will cause me to have some issues when the out side temps rise ...
Old 03-22-2018, 04:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cold weather makes it harder to keep the temp high enough without leaning it down too much. Spiking your fuel with extra oil will get you around that problem somewhat, as it would allow a leaner setting with still adequate lubrication.... In some cases, the richer mixture needed for the colder air will fight against keeping the engine warm enough. The downside is colder weather can “thicken” your fuel a bit too if it has some castor in it.

Personally, I don’t believe in covering the heads - tried it and found it wasn’t needed with custom blended fuels. I also do not believe in non-traditional break-in routines, which includes breaking in during the winter months. I won’t run my engines until the ambient air temp is at least 50F. I don’t leave anything to chance - I treat my engines almost as nice as my children.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.