Community
Wiki Posts
Search

electric 1/8 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I thinks its the best time to start specing stuff. Since they come pre-assembled everything should be left the same. All lubricants and oils are allready in place. Keep the tires the same. The traction seems to be medium for all surfaces. No more than 4s batteries but open on the mah and "c" rating. Not sure about specing a motor speedo combo, but say no timing and a certain "kv" rating. And race rules like Jake suggested. These are my thoughts.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tutankhamen
I thinks its the best time to start specing stuff. Since they come pre-assembled everything should be left the same. All lubricants and oils are allready in place. Keep the tires the same. The traction seems to be medium for all surfaces. No more than 4s batteries but open on the mah and "c" rating. Not sure about specing a motor speedo combo, but say no timing and a certain "kv" rating. And race rules like Jake suggested. These are my thoughts.
Consider me out then. I already have two buggies I can use so why would I go buy a third one thats not even half the quality! LOL And yes I don't have the money to spend on a cheap one any way...
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

THANK YOU Mr. Cluck for drawing interest/excitement in such a cool onroad class.

And THANK YOU Ritchie for being the 'test mule' for what has seemingly become the 'SPEC' items to have thus far. Since then, 4-6 other people have bought 'in' and have purchased (or about to purchase) what you now have. SWEET!! Now 'almost everyone' involved would be running the same IDENTICAL equipment except for the servo.

I say 'almost everyone' because it seems as though there's already BS talk of changing a few things ALTHOUGH the 'spirit' of this class has all but pretty much been SPEC'D OUT.

Geez...
Old 01-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tutankhamen
You gotta be careful about spec'ing and tech'ing the impossible. You cannot control diff fluids, shock fluids, etc. What happens when someone blows a shock, how can we tell if he's running kit fluid. What happens if your kit doesn't come with fluid in one shock? You're boned.

4s/6s batteries won't make much of a difference. Kody's setup with 6s probably won't be faster than a 4s setup. However, if he goes out there and is 20+ mph faster on the straight he should be a man about it and turn his EPA down.

We shouldn't really argue too much of the spec and tech until we get them together and see how they run. A 6 cell powered 3000kv system will do you no good if you're just blowing spur gears or boiling tires. So the car itself might be the limiting factor.

Here is a thought on spec...

Let's leave it open, but have a gentleman's agreement and a hand shook "Please don't be a douche bag rule." If your going to buy the best of the best gear, run the most expensive tires and take this uber seriously....hmm..You might not be doing it right.

If Kody wants to be a DB and run Sweep tires...let him. I really don't see why your sponsorship agreement would require you to do so when you're just playing around on the club level.

However the sweep tire shouldn't be overlooked if it's a better option. Cheap tires aren't cheap if they only last one run.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayBee
THANK YOU Mr. Cluck for drawing interest/excitement in such a cool onroad class.

And THANK YOU Ritchie for being the 'test mule' for what has seemingly become the 'SPEC' items to have thus far. Since then, 4-6 other people have bought 'in' and have purchased (or about to purchase) what you now have. SWEET!! Now 'almost everyone' involved would be running the same IDENTICAL equipment except for the servo.

I say 'almost everyone' because it seems as though there's already BS talk of changing a few things ALTHOUGH the 'spirit' of this class has all but pretty much been SPEC'D OUT.

Geez...
Yeah BS thats it... They picked them up as they were cheap. Its simple... I have "buggy" so why not use it! I have a power system thats the same speed as others so why not use it. Your talking tuns of power so it wouldn't matter spec'ing anything as its like a Mod class...

O and one of the other big draws to this class was to take an already running 8th E buggy and toss tires and a body on it. I've mentioned it before... I can see people from TRCR coming out and running with us... But if its going to be spec EVERYTHING then forget it... LOL

If Skypilot went out and picked up a SpeedPassion system that would have been the spec right? Yeah right... Its 8th GT and thats it. Lets race! I can tell you one thing most will not be able to handle that motor.

You guys are going to kill the class before it ever gets started...
Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Wes makes some good points.

O and yes Wes thats when i must run the Sweep tires and stickers. Every race thats not a spec tire race...

If the OFNA tires works and thats what every one wants then thats fine. But lets get out and run them and do some testing to see what we want in a tire...

Lynn what tires do the SoCal guys run? Or is it open?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This is the friggin' point.....

The thought of running 1/8 buggy conversions or dedicated 1/8 cars wasn't started to CREATE a new 'racing class'. This was drummed up to get a few guys together at some parking lot to have some fun. And if wanted to, show up at FW or in Monroe (or wherever else) and run. Killing it before it gets started? That's also BULLSHIT Killing the class comes when 1-2 guys want to deviate from what's there in the first place. I did mention this isn't a 'PROPOSED' class right, LOL? No one is pushin' for this to be a class; just several guys buying a cheap-ish alternative to run wherever....whenever.

Shock oils, diff grease and shit like that don't have to be spec'd. They don't do that shit now with spec'd classes and everything's cool. C'mon....that's a reach.

Last edited by JayBee; 01-30-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
Yeah BS thats it... They picked them up as they were cheap. Its simple... I have "buggy" so why not use it! I have a power system thats the same speed as others so why not use it. Your talking tuns of power so it wouldn't matter spec'ing anything as its like a Mod class...

O and one of the other big draws to this class was to take an already running 8th E buggy and toss tires and a body on it. I've mentioned it before... I can see people from TRCR coming out and running with us... But if its going to be spec EVERYTHING then forget it... LOL

If Skypilot went out and picked up a SpeedPassion system that would have been the spec right? Yeah right... Its 8th GT and thats it. Lets race! I can tell you one thing most will not be able to handle that motor.

You guys are going to kill the class before it ever gets started...
well... I DO HAVE A SPEEDPASSION SYSTEM.......so wrong again..

a run what the F ever class is gonna not allow it to be ran.

I for one am not concerned about the off road guy that "might" show up. several times over the past few years I have pushed for rules so others could join the fun, they never did. I don't see anything different happening for this class.

have to run sweep tires,? Bullshit Kody, if we spec the ofna tire then thats what you have to run, you ran the Solaris tire at the grand prix and your gonna run the jaco at Nats, so NO you don't HAVE to run the sweep, and thats what brian brought up, how about a spec tire to prevent a tire war, and then you respond with BS saying you HAVE to run that tire, nonsense. HOWEVER doing a price comparsion the sweep premount tire DOES seem to be the tire with the best price overall, and will be the least expensive tire to run, IF IT LASTS.

NOT SURE WHY ANYONE NEEDS TO GET BUTT HURT OVER ANY OF THIS.

it would be great if everyone could build the same car, those that have NO equipment as of yet, SHOULD get what was listed IN MY OPINON. HOWEVER, if you already have a buggy then run the damn thing and shut up already, I just got off the phone with Jake and was telling him how I WAS NOT going to be the one to turn yet another thread into a girls night out. oh well. wishing thinking I guess.

I was debating what I would be doing on the 5th of FEB, running at the Hanger, attending the FW meeting, laying carpet in Kent, I will be attending the FW meeting and we will be setting up the rules for the class, if they even allow us to run the class. what happens on a controlled track at a private site does not translate into what needs to happen at FW.

Last edited by skypilot; 01-30-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Your in a lost forest on some planet thats not even in our solar system!

First thing when Lynn drove his in a parking lot (well before any one else drooled) that came out of my mouth was parking lot racing. What a perfect class to get a group of guys together after work and rip it up... So at that point who the F cares what you run!

Its clear that this could be a fun class to race and people are showing interest. Real looking bodies, 4 wheel drive, tuns of HP and cars that look real on the road and handle awesome with lower grip. What else could some one want!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skypilot
well... I DO HAVE A SPEEDPASSION SYSTEM.......

AND NO a run what the F ever class is gonna kill the class.
Does that come with a decoder?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

A post from the So Cal guys and every one had fun...

Hey everyone,

We had the opportunity to race the 1/8th scale electric on road GT cars today at the SCRC Parking lot race. We had a blast racing them and enjoyed answering questions about them.

Today there were 3 Ofna DM1-Spec's with Tekno chassis, one Losi L8 converted to GT with the Tekno chassis, 1 Kyosho GT with an RC-Monster kit, and a Kyosho GT2 with a custom Tekno conversion.

We were running 4s and 6s packs with motors of 2200kv (4s) and 1500kv (6s). We ran Castle Mamba Monsters and a couple Mamba Max Pro's.

Tires ranged from Ipanema, PMT, Losi L8 tires (DLM2 tires).

Run time is anywhere from 10-15 minutes depending on your battery and motor setup.

1 of us ran a 2-speed, the other were all single speed. 5 were using the Tekno Elektri-Clutch setup with mechanical brakes.

Some were running center one ways, and a few of us were using a center diff with 500,000 wt oil.
These things were AWESOME. I think you guys hooked a lot of people. I kept hearing everyone say "damn I want one of those!"
yeah those things are badass. was really cool hearing the tires screach around the turns. some close driving out there!! thanks for bringing them out
Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I really like the way the car looks!
Attached Thumbnails electric 1/8 questions-ofn34306_8.jpg  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with kody.

In order to allow the class to grow, you need to open up the rules a bit.

No spec motors:

It's not power that's the factor of concern, it's motor/esc sustainability. All of these 1/8 scale motors that people seem to be buying are rediculously overpowered especially on any sort of r/c track around here. If one were to come up with a spec motor, the first option is make a popular motor be the spec, but why force someone to buy something that is more likely to contribute to overheating, esc failures and short runtimes than a slower motor that still has all the power you need whenever you need it?

But if you make that motor the spec, is not like someone who "broke the rules" would be any better off.

Third option is that you could make an even slower motor such as a tekin T8 1400kv motor the spec, but that's one of the least common 1/8 motors that people seem to be buying. (And incase anyone would like to know, i am finding that exact motor and 4s lipo be the hot setup at any indoor offroad track in 1/8 buggy ).

The same follows with the idea of spec batteries. No reason to run 6s on a motor that is already too much for 4s, and no reason to prevent someone who is being smart with 6s by using a really, really low kv motor, to get the best rutimes, temperatures and reliability possible, without sacrificing power.

Given the above, and don't get me wrong, since ive tried pretty much any 1/8 motor kv/battery setup on pretty much all surfaces, it doesn't really make sense to spec that sort of thing. Unless of course we are speaking of tracks with 200ft straights where power is more of a factor.

just my 2c
Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

have to run sweep tires,? Bullshit Kody, if we spec the ofna tire then thats what you have to run, you ran the Solaris tire at the grand prix and your gonna run the jaco at Nats, so NO you don't HAVE to run the sweep, and thats what brian brought up, how about a spec tire to prevent a tire war, and then you respond with BS saying you HAVE to run that tire, nonsense. HOWEVER doing a price comparsion the sweep premount tire DOES seem to be the tire with the best price overall, and will be the least expensive tire to run, IF IT LASTS.
Dude read Wes's post... "playing around on the club level." Yes when we are just playing around on club or big race level we have to run Sweep tires if they offer them in that class. Spec is another another thing... I was replying to Wes's post!

My thing is nobody knows what does what yet...

Stop yelling for F'ing sakes... You guys are the ones getting butt hurt! lol
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

O look an off road guy that might join in on the fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.