R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Northwest Racers (https://www.rctech.net/forum/northwest-racers-50/)
-   -   Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center (https://www.rctech.net/forum/northwest-racers/376826-seattle-rc-racers-north-seatac-racing-center.html)

gwhiz 03-05-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mkdut (Post 7095907)
Also take a look at it through the eyes of a city council person who doesn't know the difference between a Nikko and an Xray.

I hate to cherry pick a small bit of your post out of its context, but this one bit made me think it ought to be a secondary function of meetings with officials to make sure that the council persons are aware of the difference between a nikko and an xray. This is easy to demonstrate, and can reinforce that it isnt really toys we are talking about.

Not disagreeing, I just think this one thing is easy to remedy.

jubilee 03-05-2010 02:17 PM

Mike and Ritchie do make some good points.

However, I will not allow them to sway me from my selfish desire for a world class onroad facility! :D

mkdut 03-05-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gwhiz (Post 7096008)
I hate to cherry pick a small bit of your post out of its context, but this one bit made me think it ought to be a secondary function of meetings with officials to make sure that the council persons are aware of the difference between a nikko and an xray. This is easy to demonstrate, and can reinforce that it isnt really toys we are talking about.

Not disagreeing, I just think this one thing is easy to remedy.

Very easy to remedy especially if you run over the nikko with your electric 1/8th scale, cherry picker.

EDIT: then again don't show them your 1/8th scale they may think we have tons of disposable income.

skypilot 03-05-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jubilee (Post 7095810)
Offroad lends itself to "bashing" much more readily than onroad, so the sales numbers will naturally be skewed. I've had the impression that in the average hobby shop "recreational" offroad rc kits and parts are the money makers.

Also, the onroad community is currently underserved facility-wise in our area. Why would the current participant numbers to offroad compare? Why would the shops carry kits and parts with no facilities to race them?

How would a temporary offroad track necessarily translate to a positive reception for a permanent onroad track?

Apples to oranges, IMO.

As Hangar 30 has proven thus far, "If you build it, they will come." :)

how much did it cost to build the hanger, and who did you ask for the money?
it is apples to oranges, there are way more apples out there then oranges, your post goes along with what i was saying, the city will say a track full of bashers and say, ok sure why not, it will be the bashers that show up everyday, not the racers. and to farther the point, our beloved SIR even tried selling off road kits

Originally Posted by jubilee (Post 7096020)

However, I will not allow them to sway me from my selfish desire for a world class onroad facility! :D

nobody said "instead of". :D

mkdut 03-05-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jubilee (Post 7096020)

Not trying to sway you but you need to think big picture. As someone stated earlier there is strength in numbers. Word needs to get out to all the Interbay Slash runners(and any other group of guys in the area that regular get together to run) and the local crawling clubs regarding the meeting. If it appears that off roaders are going to get excluded from the intitial plans then chances are they won't show and that diminishes your chance of having a world class onroad facility.

beez 03-05-2010 02:53 PM

If Todd has already made contacts with the city of Seatac and they've already been talking about building the on-road first, I'd say let's just keep the ball rolling. I don't think it matters if it's the right choice or not, changing gears can only hurt us. Let's just focus on moving forward.

Nikko vs xray... doesn't matter, I think it would be to our detriment to try to convey that these aren't toys and come off as some kind of toy car elitists who may not welcome everyone with any type of car. Kids with Nikkos will be the future xray owners, which is the beauty of a public outdoor track like this.

mkdut 03-05-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by beez (Post 7096132)
Nikko vs xray... doesn't matter, I think it would be to our detriment to try to convey that these aren't toys and come off as some kind of toy car elitists who may not welcome everyone with any type of car. Kids with Nikkos will be the future xray owners, which is the beauty of a public outdoor track like this.

See Greg this is what happens when you quote things out of context.:rolleyes:

I'm done saying anything else.

jubilee 03-05-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot (Post 7096120)
how much did it cost to build the hanger, and who did you ask for the money?
it is apples to oranges, there are way more apples out there then oranges, your post goes along with what i was saying, the city will say a track full of bashers and say, ok sure why not, it will be the bashers that show up everyday, not the racers. and to farther the point, our beloved SIR even tried selling off road kits

nobody said "instead of". :D

Oh no you don't, master debater! :D

My post doesn't go along with yours. You argued that there are more offroaders and shops that carry offroad parts. I said, yeah...because offroad tracks abound. More onroad facilities will mean more onroad kits and parts to sell. I will concede that offroad IS more popular, overall.

SIR selling offroad stuff is an entirely different case...I'm not in any position to discuss how the business was handled.

I know, not "instead of". But SRCR is an onroad club spearheading the effort.

We don't yet know what the council is willing to do or not, what funds are available or not. Do you push the expensive part of the project through while the fruit is ripe, or do you have to prove something first? We don't know any of that yet. I'd agree with Beez here...if they're thinking onroad first (which costs more), get it done while the gettin's good.

beez 03-05-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by mkdut (Post 7096145)
See Greg this is what happens when you quote things out of context.:rolleyes:

I'm done saying anything else.

Mike, It wasn't the quote I was questioning, it was greg's comments. I think you and I see it the same way.

jubilee 03-05-2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by beez (Post 7096132)

We'll see what you say when your blingy tc smashes into Junior's Nikko.

Now go make me a sammich!

Kody 03-05-2010 03:06 PM

Todd will be explaining why we will be heading up the on road track first at the meeting on the 20th. It will all make sense when you guys here what Kit and Todd have to say about it.

Lets leave it at that. If this turns into a off road vs. on road battle you guys will end up with nether!

If Todd wants to get into why one before the other on here, I will leave that up to him.

Kody

jubilee 03-05-2010 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kody (Post 7096172)
Todd will be explaining why we will be heading up the on road track first at the meeting on the 20th. It will all make sense when you guys here what Kit and Todd have to say about it.

Lets leave it at that. If this turns into a off road vs. on road battle you guys will end up with nether!

If Todd wants to get into why one before the other on here, I will leave that up to him.

Kody

Kody the cordless driller is a wise man.

Offroad or onroad...or both. Bring it!

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a 1/8 E buggy!!

mkdut 03-05-2010 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kody (Post 7096172)

Kody

Has nothing to do with on road vs off road. It has to do with the "sales pitch". If Todd has the master plan then I guess I'll wait until the 20th.

skypilot 03-05-2010 04:06 PM

what he said.

gwhiz 03-05-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by beez (Post 7096166)
Mike, It wasn't the quote I was questioning, it was greg's comments. I think you and I see it the same way.

I see it in the same way. I also see it another way. Try this:

I can think of some reasons a person might want to remain ignorant of differences between a toy and a race car. Problem is none of them put us in a position to expect a world class facility (not my words). But I cannot think of any reasons why *we* would benefit from tolerating the condition.

So I guess if you were to add a Nikko class the distinction might become superfluous. Also, maybe you would actually show up to a race for a change?

I kid. But in all seriousness I didn't mean to argue with Mike I just see an opportunity for the officials to understand more about who they are approving an expensive project for.