Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW WGT and 1/12. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
GX2
Tech Initiate

Questions?? NW WGT and 1/12. What to do?

I am new to the RC scene, I have been reading about the new WGT class and also really like the 1/12 class. My question is what do you think is the smartest class to get started in. My son is 10 and I plan on including him in this as much as he likes. We are building a 10R5 and have a 12R5 and very nice Corally RDX I picked up on fleebay. We now are running some at RC/PLUS with his Slash and it looks like he may do OK with car controll, but will he be welcomed to race with the adults in any of these classes? One last thing, what direction is the 1s Lipo issue going in WGT and 1/12 in the next year or so? Thanks to all!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

uh oh!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 PM
GX2
Tech Initiate

What did I do?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Sounds like you are set for any class. I would say let your kid run the corrally to get his feet wet. I would also talk to Ron at Rcplus and get his opinion he will set you right.

Right now there is a big debate on if or how to equalize or spec all the different WGT options(lipo, nimh, motor wind). If your just club racing then do what everyone else at your track.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default sellittome!!!!!!!!!!

TOM!!!!!..........hey, in two weeks, when you sell that wgt car for something else, let me know I'll buy it!!

Ken
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
GX2
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tomdav
Sounds like you are set for any class. I would say let your kid run the corrally to get his feet wet. I would also talk to Ron at Rcplus and get his opinion he will set you right.

Right now there is a big debate on if or how to equalize or spec all the different WGT options(lipo, nimh, motor wind). If your just club racing then do what everyone else at your track.

What makes it best for the kid to start with?
Are you saying I may need to get one more Touring car for myself to learn with also? Are the touring cars more forgiving, take more of a beating, ect..?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GX2
Are you saying I may need to get one more Touring car for myself to learn with also? Are the touring cars more forgiving, take more of a beating, ect..?
As a relative newbie, I'll claim a TC is 'easier' to drive than a 1/12 scale. Maybe 'more forgiving' is the correct terminology. My limited time with 1/12 scale proves it (to me) to be extremely responsive and sensitive to driver input. Those little suckers go wherever you point them, and fast!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GX2
I guess we should probably get more information about you. What drew you to WGT and 1/12th? Cost, looks, performance, fun factor? What batteries do you intend to use for your WGT and 1/12th? What kind of speed controllers and motors are you using? Which is your local track?

If you want to move towards 12th scale then I would say start with the WGT to get used to a pan car. Then start the kid off with the touring car, as Tom suggested. The 10r5 is a good car and I think its relatively easy to drive and will get you used to how responsive a pan car is. Altho, I will say that competition in both of those classes is fierce. I think just about all the top drivers from all the tracks in the area run WGT and/or 1/12th. So if at first you don't succeed, don't get discouraged. These things take time to get the hang of.

Setting up the touring car is going to be considerably more involved at first. But you'll get the hang of it. And feel free to ask questions. Just about anyone here will tell you that we openly share setup secrets. Which is a mentality that other forms of RC racing don't share with on-road. Oval drivers, for instance, horde secrets to maintain any slim advantage they may have found. On-road racers tend to want to have closer racing and you cant have close racing if you're gobs faster than the rest of the field.

I guess lastly, since you already have 3 cars. I can only imagine that you understand the investment of time and money required to be successful. The upside is you have a fun, wholesome, adrenaline packed way to spend time with your son. Hopefully you and your son will enjoy racing with us and we'll be able to keep him away from the Xbox and out of trouble

Welcome to the fray!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 AM
GX2
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rewp
I guess we should probably get more information about you. What drew you to WGT and 1/12th? Cost, looks, performance, fun factor? What batteries do you intend to use for your WGT and 1/12th? What kind of speed controllers and motors are you using? Which is your local track?

If you want to move towards 12th scale then I would say start with the WGT to get used to a pan car. Then start the kid off with the touring car, as Tom suggested. The 10r5 is a good car and I think its relatively easy to drive and will get you used to how responsive a pan car is. Altho, I will say that competition in both of those classes is fierce. I think just about all the top drivers from all the tracks in the area run WGT and/or 1/12th. So if at first you don't succeed, don't get discouraged. These things take time to get the hang of.

Setting up the touring car is going to be considerably more involved at first. But you'll get the hang of it. And feel free to ask questions. Just about anyone here will tell you that we openly share setup secrets. Which is a mentality that other forms of RC racing don't share with on-road. Oval drivers, for instance, horde secrets to maintain any slim advantage they may have found. On-road racers tend to want to have closer racing and you cant have close racing if you're gobs faster than the rest of the field.

I guess lastly, since you already have 3 cars. I can only imagine that you understand the investment of time and money required to be successful. The upside is you have a fun, wholesome, adrenaline packed way to spend time with your son. Hopefully you and your son will enjoy racing with us and we'll be able to keep him away from the Xbox and out of trouble

Welcome to the fray!
Thanks! I live in Newberg Oregon but I have been calling R/C Plus in Salem my future home track. We moved to Oregon a little over a year ago from Sedro Woolley, WA. I was looking for somthing I could include my son in. I spent aprox. 30 years involved in big car racing but the wifie says, no way! no more!

So with that being said; I liked the looks of the touring cars for the sophistication side, my son and I like the looks of the 1/12. The WGT came into the picture when I was told they are needing more cars so I said why not?

Batteries: I have not invested in any yet, My thought was to get the lipo's for the Touring car and race it first and I am going to buy 2 SMC 1s lipo,s to put it the WGT and 1/12 and practice with them for a little while and see where the rules go in the next 60 days. (I plan on holding out, hoping to go to all lipo.) Also, What chargers, Balancers ect... should I be looking at?

Speed Controllers: The Tour car came with a Quantum II comp. but I plan on changing this as soon as I get more informed. I have no motors, speed controllers ect... for 1/12 and WGT cars so... I need some direction here also.

Keeping in mind I will be trying to keep cars for me and my son on the track, so I thought going to pan cars may be a little less work, not that I am not willing to work on these cars but I am only home for 7 days then gone again for 14.

Cost: I do understand and am willing to invest in the wholesome fun with my son and great people like yourself.

Xbox: Don't have one, Don't plan to have one any time soon, the outdoors is way more fun! at least it was back in the day.

Thanks to everyone for taking time to give your input, it is a huge, HUGE! help!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GX2
What did I do?
i only say uh oh cause you asked about the batt deal.... if you read the WGT only thread. You'd see that, that question sparked quit a long debate about what set up to run. Me personally i dont care lipo, 4 cell what ever. Lets just throw them down and run. if your a south ender there should be a pretty good program to run at Fantasy world and four seasons. both will run both batt combinations so you should be fine!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM
GX2
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JROCK4224
i only say uh oh cause you asked about the batt deal.... if you read the WGT only thread. You'd see that, that question sparked quit a long debate about what set up to run. Me personally i dont care lipo, 4 cell what ever. Lets just throw them down and run. if your a south ender there should be a pretty good program to run at Fantasy world and four seasons. both will run both batt combinations so you should be fine!!!!!!
I understand, I have been reading that. Where is Fantasy world and four seasons?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JROCK4224
... if your a south ender...
He's in Newberg, Oregon, about 30 miles west of Portland.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldguyzrule
TOM!!!!!..........hey, in two weeks, when you sell that wgt car for something else, let me know I'll buy it!!

Ken
No way!!!! If I sold it I would be buying another one in a few months anyway. Its not like an offroad car where its cheaper to sell it then buy a freshy when everything wears out.

GX2

As far as chargers, buy a charger with a lipo balancer built in. It makes for a much cleaner setup and you can monitor individual cell voltage. It also keeps you from overcharging a cell causing damage, or worse. I've been using the Hyperion and have had great results so far.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
GX2
Tech Initiate

Tomdav, Thank's. What speed controller is the one to have? and is there a good solid motor you would go with if you were buying all new?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Xbox: Don't have one, Don't plan to have one any time soon, the outdoors is way more fun! at least it was back in the day.

That poor deprived child.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.