Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Noob query: Electric vs gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hours to start Cherry? U got to be kidding me, I watched you spend at least 5 minutes EVERY TIME your heat was up trying to get started, heck, you missed most of warm ups trying to get your truck running.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mafiaracers
If you like tuning engines....go for it.

In most cases...Electric costs more to start but less to maintain in the long run whereas gas is the opposite, cheaper to start but more costly to maintain down the road.
It doesn't cost as much to set up a 1/10 electric as it does 1/8 scale,well maybe if you go w/ RTR 1/8.

I know I droppped some coin in setting up my B44.
I also drop tones of coin in my 1/8 scale buggy.
None of its cheep(at least the good stuff)

But it is ALL fun. I like them both.
Electrics indoors in the winter
and to me there is nothing like outdoor nitro (well maybe a bad ass MX track on my YZ 250)
Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

*if you want to be fast; you will need to spend a lot more time working on a gas car.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SmItH_aLeX
*if you want to be fast; you will need to spend a lot more time working on a gas car.

In my experience I have had to put more time in with mt electric gear to be competitive that with my nitro car. I'll admit that I spend more time working on chassis setup than most but those that I have raced both gas and electric with me can attest to how much less time I spend preparing for the next round since I switched to nitro.

Nitro may not be for everyone but its no harder or demanding of your time than electric, its simply different.

Mark
Old 03-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by mtveten
In my experience I have had to put more time in with mt electric gear to be competitive that with my nitro car. I'll admit that I spend more time working on chassis setup than most but those that I have raced both gas and electric with me can attest to how much less time I spend preparing for the next round since I switched to nitro.

Nitro may not be for everyone but its no harder or demanding of your time than electric, its simply different.

Mark

Gas is for red necks that have big diesel pulling rig`s & trailer`s.....
Old 03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Or wantabes with a Chev S-10.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Gas is for red necks that have big diesel pulling rig`s & trailer`s.....
gas is not the same as diesel.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Why gas?

I know when I raced a little 15 yrs ago, the answer was obvious: They're faster. That doesn't necessarily seem true anymore (correct me if I'm wrong).

From what I can tell, they're more expensive, more work to maintain and heavier, what's the appeal of gas? Is it the sound?

Gas was faster than electric and run time was longer.

New brushless and lopo's can be faster and run as long or longer per class.

Example, gas 1/8 truggy vrs electric 1/8 truggy, electric has more instant usable torque (no clutch to spool up) and may be faster down a long straight, not sure.

Same for 1/8 buggy and 1/10 truck. I have seen this with Doug Brown's electrics at TRCR.

For me, 1/10 gas truck requires the same maintanance as 1/10 electric truck, not true with the 1/8 scales. They need clutch bearings and shoes often.

Difference in money is the price of nitro unless you have a case of the exploding lipo's.

I can drive a heavier vehicle, per class, better than a lighter one. Especially true when the gas tank is full, though maybe a near empty tank leans the motor out somehow, making it harder to drive.

I think brushless/lipo electric is the way of the future, even though I like gas better.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SmItH_aLeX

You need to define if it's on road gas or off road. On road gas beats electric on road in every category except being able to run year round. Electric 1/10 off road beats gas in all categories. 1/8 off road is gas.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

For me there's nothing funner than going to gas day and passing gas cars on the straight with my 1/10 elec. and watching the 1/8 buggy guys get pissed and try to keep up only to high side over driving and stretch there rod in a lean condition. Although when they do over drive the corner they just run me over but that s there only defense.

I race gas too, not lately. but for driving and handling it was way easier to find a driveable setup. i think mainly cause the truck weighs more, its less senstive to changes unlinke a 1/10th. Dont get me wrong I had some of the funnest races racing gas and i miss it. Although 2things i dont miss about gas.

1.28 minutes into a main flame out and no restartee.

2Gas racers it's a drivers stand. use it. If you have to drive from the track cause you wreck too much you shouldn't be driving let alone racing

I know the fuel purest will say if i knew what I was doing I wouldn't have a flame out but lets be realistic it happens to everybody and it seems to always happen when i was having one of my best races. Dont get me worng I love gas but if i hadnt of raced elevctric for so many years i would been lost. I agree with however said it graduate to gas you will like gas much more if you experience up in electric. The frustrations of gas will seem less dramatic and no offense but from racing for years it seems the pits are friendlier in electric, in the form of sharing info and helping each other out. although gas racing has soem pretty cool dudes it just seems a little more secretive.

After reading car action and seeing doug browns truggy run locally here, i think gas has something to fear with the advances in lipo technology. I am now selling my revo engine to swap to a techkno brushless conversion set up. its the single thing that holds me from racing gas is the amount of time it takes to dial in the tune everytime you go to the track. Now please purest here me out. you know its different everytime a cloud passes that's just how sensative they are to change. sure it starts up and idles but to be fast and find the right combo of needle settings to last 30 minutes you have to dial it in. heck for the longest time i was running to different tunes for heats and mains. I had to fatten up for the main in order for it to be fast and last 30 minutes with out overheating. sure i could run my main tune for heats but i wanted it to be competitive. In the mains i liked my truck to be a little boggy to keep myself out of trouble in the opening laps then it would clean out and raise in temp towards the end when things had stretched out and traffic wasn't so bad and my rythm had established. Hey it worked for me so IN MY OPINION, that's what worked in gas racing and kept it fun. sorry to all gas racers that I raced with while I had that trinity pipe though. it sounded like a 10 second honda with open exhaust.

i cant say anything i said works for on road but will agree with Jtveten. gas on road is wicked. unlike off road wheres its even. gas on road is wicked fast and super sensitive. i tried to run one at 4 seasons and it didnt even come close t o the same as my electric sedan. It was retarded fast and super twitchy, set up wise it was pretty stuck but I watched that thing take flight leave the track and land about a 100 yard in the parking lot. thanks god the rock crawler course wasn't up yet or we woulda needed a dustpan for collecting parts. Foam tires are a way different feel on the track. It was fun but i wasn't driving the car to its potential. int he end i fyou decide to go gas dont go full bore if you never have had one get something easy to work on ad simple. for me the revo was the answer, dumbed down enough for me and i didn't need a start box. put a shaft start on it and go. 500.00 bucks and it could be a great start to fun times
Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Until such time that there are off the shelf brushless 4x4 off road electrics, the electrics will be more expensive in both the short and long run. You need to spend 350 or so for a decent brushless motor, @130 or so per lipo battery (gotta have at least two), AND you have to spend the money on whatever truck/truggy/buggy you want. And you have to convert it over - at least a 100 bucks, most likely more. So by the time your all done, you got a minimum of 1000 into it just to be competetive (and by this I am assuming you are making a rig that will run a 30-35 minute main). Add on a good lipo charger - another 200 bucks. Ongoing cost - you will likely have to purchase a couple new batteries per year. Most people will go through drive train parts in some form due to the huge amounts of torque. Balancing your power through differential tuning is, in MY Opinion, more critical in brushless due to the low end power - (a center diff is absoulutely the way to go).
With all that being said - I am 100% brushless. 3 Emaxx, 1 Revo, 1 Hellfire Truggy. I prefer to be able to run anytime without pissing off my neighbors, and I really struggled with tuning nitro (and I drive a trailer towing diesel!!!)

I think that once you have tried both, you will soon figure out which you personally prefer. It seems that both are now to the point where its more of a personal preference than a performance thing. Either one can be the fastest at the track, wether its 1/16/,1/10, or 1/8. It usually comes down to the idiot behind the wheel if they win or not!!!

BTW: For general bashing - nothing beats being able to just throw in a couple batteries and run. For me, that was the straw that broke my gasers back!
Old 03-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtveten
You need to define if it's on road gas or off road. On road gas beats electric on road in every category except being able to run year round. Electric 1/10 off road beats gas in all categories. 1/8 off road is gas.
John,

Congrats, this is the stupidest post that I have ever read of yours. You are intitled to your own opinions but please keep most of them to yourself. In this day and age of losing RCers in most scales can we please stick to positives and not put other scales down just because you do not like them. Case in point, I perfer on road electric but please find a single post were I put anything else down.

Steve
Old 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by corallyman
John,

Congrats, this is the stupidest post that I have ever read of yours. You are intitled to your own opinions but please keep most of them to yourself. In this day and age of losing RCers in most scales can we please stick to positives and not put other scales down just because you do not like them. Case in point, I perfer on road electric but please find a single post were I put anything else down.

Steve
And this is why i spend as little time as possible at on road races. Dude asked for peoples opinion, opinion given, second opinion given trashing other on onroad guy's opinion. You guy's are hell bent on dragging each other down. So were you gonna offer an opinion on the original topic or were you more interested in trashing Jtveten's, OPINION. And if by anything, you mean anyone too? I dont have to look far, re-read your first sentence, your putting down a racers opinion of what works for him.

By the way thiessen, how do you drive a trailer that tows a diesel, just kiddin i know what you meant. I liked your post although i thought for a minute you were anti-brushless but in the end you explained your point elloquiantly!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

wow what a waste of a thread....

whatever someone runs is what there opinion is gonna be.
i race off road so its better, i race electric so its better and everything else sucks

i think it might actually be better if people didnt answer the noob questions...
then they would have to go to a track to get answers and people are actually nice at a track...
Old 03-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

JRock,

Why is your dumping on me any better them me dumping on John. First off I know John and Mark personally. I do not know you personally nor do you know me personally. If what John meant was nitro on road is better because its faster or more exciting then I apologise to John. What I read however was John saying that nitro trumps electric for no real reason. FYI, I have read many posts that Mark and John have made over the years some I agree with some I don't. They do give their opinions very often (Nothing Bad about this) but some of the time its just an opinion with little or no real info (same as what alot of us do too me included). Maybe I jumped the gun a bit, maybe I didn't.

BTW other than saying that it was a stupid comment because (IMO, he didn't add clarity to what he meant) what was so offensive about what I said. Re-read my post again, or let me translate it for you, What I said was that he should be less about saying nitro trumps electric and just more about stating what he likes BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHER SCALES OR CLASSES. This is not needed. For your info, I have literaly run everything out there except off road truck and 1/5th scale. I like something about everything but I refuse to say anything bad about the other scales or classes that I don't run.

Feel free to PM me if you have anything else to say to me.

Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 03-31-2008 at 01:28 AM. Reason: clarity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.