Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:58 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

If you can even find a Cox .049...

We should try running the nitros as is, vintage tires and wheels same as the electrics. If you've got a super hot nitro motor or a real dialed car, sit this one out. This is for the RTR crowd and those who don't care.

Guys buy these HPI RS4's from Hobbytown all the time and they come in and the tires still look okay. They can go through tires, but thats after a lot of bashing...the tires just don't seam to vaporize as bad as you'd imagine. I'll try it myself and see what happens.

Many of the people showing up will be running these RS4 RTR's. I found a cheap NTC3 on craigslist and slapped some T/A tires on it...I'm not even going to put a setup on the car, just run the damn thing. AE RTR engine and pipe..it's good to go.

For running outdoors I don't see how this could not be fun. It's pretty much spec racing if we're all running the same heaps of chassis and RTR motors..getting into one is cheap for the total newb (<$400) and more affordable if your already an established racer.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Attitude Adjustment

There is one way to make Tires like these last.....I know from many races on the Tamiya BFGoodrich tires we use in the Stadium Truck Class. If you adjust the camber based on your tire wear between rounds, you can make them last a full season. They have alot more tread than the HPI Vintage Tires.

If you see them wearing a bit heavy on the outside/inside make the camber adjustment accordingly. I plan to keep the same track all season and it should make it easy to keep a good set-up to make tires last.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Cool Same as it ever was

Sounds like the Trans-Am Racing in the area has become quite a bit convoluted!? Why?

A class created for the Nostalgia of American Muscle car racing should be treated as such. I was putting one of these cars together before anyone around here maybe even thought of it. I wasn't putting it together to go out and be the fastest, I didn't even figure many others would do it, much less I am using a TC3....Good car, but no longer the best out there. I wanted to put one together to have fun with.

The guys that run these cars today run them for fun and comraderie of bringing back an exciting era of vintage road racing. They are not worried about who is going the fastest or who is going to win. It is a display race for people who want to "Go Back" to an era lost to time and to show people who weren't there what this form of racing was like in simulation form. Thats not to say there isn't a little "Hot Dogging" here and there but i guarantee the guys involved are having more fun than we imagine.

When we run this class up here in Everett in this summer I plan to focus the attention towards the fun and nostalgia of the type of cars they are/should be. I really wish everyone who runs them would just grab an old chassis and put a car together just to go run around the track with friends and play and simulate a race just like the real ones today.....and not with the latest greatest chassis. This I feel would make people want to go out and put one together to goof off with us. This class has been put into a who's who category and it's obvious that the fun has gone away in such a short time, .....such a shame.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:10 PM

I think the mindset of the typical on road racer is mostly to blame, mix it with the bipolar political nonsense that seems to grip the northwest and well, there you go.

"In on road you pretty much have to have the best to win, and winning is the reason for showing up to the track. Why else invest in all of this stuff if your not going to win."

Gotta step away from that mindset, go back a few steps to where it was fun just to tool around the track. The fact there is a silvercan/brushless/roar legal debate going on at FW is mind boggling. It's T/A racing...run what's cheap, run what's fun. Making people invest in a whole new system to go race is going beyond the point of this class...but the guys suggesting these rules aren't trying to get new blood into the hobby.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Cool Same as it ever was

Yeah, unfortunately the mindset will ultimately kill what the class intends to do. It is evident based on how many HPI RTR Vintage Body kits you blast through at H.T. that there is a hugh interest in having fun with these vintage style cars. It sounds as if FW TA racing is dying a slow cook crock pot death. Keep it simple and have fun.

Here is a new idea discussed with me today......

No car shall ever be lapped in TA racing (Unless breakage occurs)........Your fastest car/driver would then be as fast as the slowest car/driver. I like it! We should run these just like the current day counter parts, for fun and nostalgia!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

delete

Last edited by Pete Thomas; 05-07-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

As one who has raced the first 3 FW TA races I can attest that there has been a lot of testing as to what would work best. I'm of the opinion that the first thing that needs to be decided, is what the TA class is going to be. Is it going to be a competition class or a non competition class? Once a decision has been made then the specs and rules can be developed that best comply with that objective. My personal opinion would be to have the TA class be a non competitive fun class. We already have plenty of competitive TC classes. I think Mr. Silver Cup is on the right track.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i was called and told about the no passing rule, i love it.

"but if you make me gear down i'm gonna quit"
Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Cool Trans-Am racing the way it outta be!

EGTC (ESLROC) = Nostalgia Trans-Am Racing (Fun & Showmanship) Silver Can, No Gearing, No Weight, HPI Vintage Tires/Wheels, 67-70's bodies any make & No cars lapped during race (All cars finish on lead lap unless broke) Not even sure I will have a motor limit........Why would it matter if you can't lap anyone?

The most important rule
FUN
Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

nitro trans Am was big hit at rose citys 1st race.no problems whats so ever. every body was running bone stock hpi cars. only real problem was the preformed turn buckles, we are going to let people put adjustable ones on the cars...........keep it simple seems to work here.....did not see one un happy trans am driver.......next race is 24 electric sedan and trans am nitro only. nitro sedan will be at time zone same day
Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 AM

Lets hear some feedback on the Vintage tires with a nitro car...how are they holding up?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 AM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1 race day and lots of practice on my Nitro Hpi Trans Am car, and the tires show very little wear. The track temp was quite cold though and traction wasnt great so lots of wheelspin. The tires held up much better than anyone expected them too.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Cool What do you expect to get from TA Racing?

I have a problem I would like to address about the Trans-Am racing in the Seattle-Tacoma area.....

The problem I have with what is being discussed in regards to Trans-Am racing in our area is cost. As I know it, this class was originally thought to be a low-cost, lets get people into fun and fairly in-expensive racing class. Going 13.5 or any brushless system eliminates the low-budget way to get new people into our hobby. The Silver Can motor, an older decent speed control and radio/receiver and used TC3 or any other older lower cost car is the way to go. What is the point if you start going all high dollar? I think allot are missing the point on the TA thing......or I guess i could be. If you want high dollar beat the other guys wallet racing then why are you giving a sh!t about a Trans-Am racing? If people want TA cars that go fast and have to spend lots-o-money for speed, then create a Touring car style division of racing without limitations where you can just run the "cool" bodies, no tire, motor, weight or FDR rules, etc. TA racing at the EGTC (ESLROC) is going to be fun, nostalgic, bring people into the sport/hobby style of racing. Let's get new people TA racing in the cheapest way to do it......and not with the latest greatest car kit on the market. EGTC TA racing = Cheap car, cheap motor, moderate tire costs and cheap fun! If you expect this class to be competitive and high dollar up here, well......don't plan on bringing that mentality to the Lowe's track. There are other classes for that if that's what you want. We need to show newbies/beginners a less intimidating way to get out on the track with us, plain and simple. I am open to the fact that the TA class may not be that class, but I haven't seen a class with that much potential in a long time......
Old 05-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation i agree

Originally Posted by Silver Cup
TA racing at the EGTC (ESLROC) is going to be fun, nostalgic, bring people into the sport/hobby style of racing. Let's get new people TA racing in the cheapest way to do it......and not with the latest greatest car kit on the market. EGTC TA racing = Cheap car, cheap motor, moderate tire costs and cheap fun! If you expect this class to be competitive and high dollar up here, well......don't plan on bringing that mentality to the Lowe's track. There are other classes for that if that's what you want. We need to show newbies/beginners a less intimidating way to get out on the track with us, plain and simple. I am open to the fact that the TA class may not be that class, but I haven't seen a class with that much potential in a long time......
i agree with all of this thats the only reason i got into the whole trans-am class anyway. its nastalgic, FUN , cheaper to run, ect. i cant wait to see all the camaro's and mustang's and cuda's and any other muscle cars all running around together. if its going to get all distorted and convoluted i wont participate. plain and simple
Old 05-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Cool Trans-Am racing the way it outta be!

Originally Posted by BatMan99
i agree with all of this thats the only reason i got into the whole trans-am class anyway. its nastalgic, FUN , cheaper to run, ect. i cant wait to see all the camaro's and mustang's and cuda's and any other muscle cars all running around together.

if its going to get all distorted and convoluted i wont participate. plain and simple
I won't either......But we won't let it happen will we?! When people hear hysterical laughter and see whos at the wheel......."I won't mention any names"......(Pederson, Kuney, Perry, Bennett, Mempa & Wheeler) They'll wonder what the hell they are missing out on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.