Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northeast Racing Forum
Port Jervis NY Onroad Raceway hosted by RC World Hobbies >

Port Jervis NY Onroad Raceway hosted by RC World Hobbies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Port Jervis NY Onroad Raceway hosted by RC World Hobbies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

I never quite understand how people react to virtually anyone who ever opens a track. Tracks pop up usually because ONE individual starts the ball rolling. He does a ton of work to get a site, he spends long hours making it happen and he usually uses his own money to fund it. What do you think John spent to put that track together? $50,000 or perhaps more. So HE gave everyone a place to race and he made it a nice facility. He had people help him and I tip my hat to them also. The cost of setting up the track does not include labor. At the end of the day he had a MAJOR investment in that track. He collected fees for racing, the town wanted a piece, he spent his free time there making it better. How many years would it take for him to recover his investment? or is that asking too much? What about the days he was there running the show - no compensation either? Is he allowed to make money for what he did? Who cares what the amount is, he put up the money in the first place. Without him there was no racing.
Now the track is gone. That means that somebody else can step up, invest a ton of money and then be criticized for trying to make money for all their hard work. A vicious circle.

Thanks John for letting me enjoy myself whenever I went there.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What a shame!!
It's got to be frustrating to open a track and have it shut down the same year. It's frustrating for me. I thought when you open/start a business, money is laid out. Whether it came from a loan or your own savings, that business doesn't profit until the initial investment is back in your pocket or the loan is paid off. So unless he made $50,000 his first season, he still hasn't profitted a dollar.
So in johns defense, if he did rip down the drivers stand and drive over the track ( and I doubt he did, because that's city property and in doing so it becomes a crime most likely punishable by jail time) he wasn't wrong
Old 04-01-2015, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wasn't right either. He was robbed without a gun.
If i could do anything just let me know, I'm available to put in some work
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pelico
It seems as if it's a New York thing where on-road racing is concerned. Nobody wants to take up the responsibility of running a track, but as soon as someone does, they start to watch the money that is being made and begin to tear it down. SMH.
That how Floyd was killed....
Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tbaffer
I never quite understand how people react to virtually anyone who ever opens a track. Tracks pop up usually because ONE individual starts the ball rolling. He does a ton of work to get a site, he spends long hours making it happen and he usually uses his own money to fund it. What do you think John spent to put that track together? $50,000 or perhaps more. So HE gave everyone a place to race and he made it a nice facility. He had people help him and I tip my hat to them also. The cost of setting up the track does not include labor. At the end of the day he had a MAJOR investment in that track. He collected fees for racing, the town wanted a piece, he spent his free time there making it better. How many years would it take for him to recover his investment? or is that asking too much? What about the days he was there running the show - no compensation either? Is he allowed to make money for what he did? Who cares what the amount is, he put up the money in the first place. Without him there was no racing.
Now the track is gone. That means that somebody else can step up, invest a ton of money and then be criticized for trying to make money for all their hard work. A vicious circle.

Thanks John for letting me enjoy myself whenever I went there.

well said
Old 04-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brooklynrc
That how Floyd was killed....
+1000 greed
Old 04-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Port Jervis Gazette article

I'm confused. What's going on with the track? Apparently there was some truth to the rumor that fence was torn up and no more racing?

Remote-control car racing ends in rancor
By Jessica Cohen
For the Gazette

April 10. 2015 1:44PM

Remote-control car racing in Riverside Park began with enthusiasm from organizers and city officials in 2012, but ended with rancor and ripped-out fences last week.

The city had granted use of the track to John Fernandez in 2014 with a contract from April 23 to Oct. 12. On March 23 this year, the Port Jervis Common Council decided not to renew the contract.

Fernandez then sent Mayor Kelly Decker a message threatening to sue, claiming he had invested $40,000 in track improvements. However, Decker said he provided no records or receipts, and the city has no contractual obligation to compensate Fernandez for improvements.

The contract does require Fernandez to “keep the property clean and well maintained and repair any damage” when the contract ends, but three days after the lawsuit threat, city employees found the fence around the track had been ripped out. Part of the fence had been installed by the city, part by Fernandez.

When asked about the fence, Fernandez initially said he had been in Florida during the period when it disappeared. But when Decker told him that a criminal investigation would then be necessary, Fernandez said he had directed someone else to remove the fence, Decker said.

At a recent Common Council meeting, Fernandez had expressed unhappiness with the financial terms of his contract with the city, which required him to pay $250 for each RC car club event and $500 for larger events. Later he said race entrants paid $25 each for one-day events, and 60 to 70 usually attended the first year, but only about 40 participated in each race the second year. He said he “went overboard” buying trophies, spending $1300. Plus he bought tee-shirts, tables and chairs, and, for $5000, a telemetry system.

“There was only rocky asphalt with garbage and half a fence when I started,” he said.

He resurfaced the track and added fencing and a platform, but he felt his efforts were not appreciated.

“The city never embraced me. I’d see ceremonies for stores and Cub Scouts. But the city didn’t take an interest, though we had neat RC cars going 65 miles per hour. Where did the $500 go? Why not invest in the park?”

But Decker said that local people had been shut out of races because their cars failed to qualify, and that when people from elsewhere came to race they did not seem to patronize Port Jervis businesses. Particularly problematic was that abundant garbage was left on the track, including many beer bottles, and Decker received reports of people smoking marijuana at the track. Also, Fernandez had moved his store from Port Jervis to Middletown, so money spent on cars was going elsewhere, and city residents who had bought cars from Fernandez lacked a source of parts and repairs, Decker said.

Fernandez said that he had set up events for local people, but he could get more space for less in Middletown. However, Decker said that Fernandez had violated building codes in his Front Street store with an upstairs track and consequently had conflicts with then building inspector Wayne Kidney.

“He was running an indoor track illegally, and Wayne Kidney said he had violations, with exposed electrical wires, holes in the floor, and a sprinkler system that wasn’t turned on,” said Decker.

“I’m just disappointed,” said Fernandez. “This could have gone far, but now it won’t happen.”

Last edited by Max Trax; 04-11-2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Clearly your just flaming. Who are you?
Old 04-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

I was curious about that last post also so I went to the Port Jervis Gazette website and that article is right there, Here's the link http://www.recordonline.com/article/...16/101043/NEWS
Old 05-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Post onroad racing in the northeast 2015

Thank you for the kind words Tom B. I have remained silent up to now but I am moving forward.
I am in litigation with the city of Port Jervis so I cant say much but I can say I did put a lot of my money into this effort and I got let down by the city council the mayor and the city lawyer Bavosso.
on the brighter side we have found a spot for onroad this summer in Middletown NY We will be posting dates asap Manufacturers challenge and the regionals as well we will post up after we clear dates.
the track location is convenient to all
Old 05-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PJNY1
Thank you for the kind words Tom B. I have remained silent up to now but I am moving forward.
I am in litigation with the city of Port Jervis so I cant say much but I can say I did put a lot of my money into this effort and I got let down by the city council the mayor and the city lawyer Bavosso.
on the brighter side we have found a spot for onroad this summer in Middletown NY We will be posting dates asap Manufacturers challenge and the regionals as well we will post up after we clear dates.
hey john great news!! john just a reminder not sure if u seen the schedule for Floyd just letting u know so the dates don't overlap....

thanks for all your work...
Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PJNY1
Will this be a parking lot setup or something permanent?
Old 05-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pelico
Will this be a parking lot setup or something permanent?
John. said it would be a parking lot setup.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks